Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:22 AM

3 posts, read 7,572 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a single mom thinking of moving to Charlotte from Atl but orginally from NY. The problem is I don't have a vehicle. Where is the best neighborhoods that have public transportation? Am I kidding myself by thinking I will be able to make it there w/o a car? Also, I will be renting. I am looking for a 2 bdrm in the $700- $800 price range, am suggestions?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 05:27 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Our one light rail line runs along South Blvd which is a very culturally diverse area. There are many apartment complexes within walking distance from this station and within your price range.

In addition Charlotte has extensive bus system, although I have not ridden it in about 15 years (when I used to work downtown).

I personally think being in Charlotte without a car would be difficult, but it could be done.

My only advice would be to secure employment before moving.
Good Luck!

Old 02-10-2008, 06:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Ideally I would say uptown but I do not know if you will find in that location your price range.
I agree you would need to secure employment to decide on location of where you live.
Check to make sure a bus go nears where you will be working.
On the application it will ask do you have reliable transportation and you should check yes; the buses are very reliable.

Check into Plaza Midwood, Dilworth, and down the South Boulevard corridor. The closer to uptown the better in case you will have to transfer to another bus or train.
For instance I lived off Sharon Road west and it would take me two hours to get to Billy Graham Pkwy due to all the stop and go of the bus, and layovers between two buses.
The buses generally run every 30 minutes during the day and hourly on weekends but some routes run more frequent.

Check out C.A.T.S map to get a lay of the area it even has a trip planner.
C.A.T.S.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:06 PM

355 posts, read 992,469 times
I have a friend that live in Huntersville and he seem to do well without a car. I guess public transit run well in Huntersville?

Old 02-10-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentricbeethoven View Post
I have a friend that live in Huntersville and he seem to do well without a car. I guess public transit run well in Huntersville?
It does if you dont need to be anywhere aftere 6pm or are in walking distance to the express bus to uptown but the last return express bus runs around 10:30 p.m.
But there is great shuttle around the city with friendly drivers Especially Sharon she will crack you up and is good remembering your name and anything you share with her.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
It does if you dont need to be anywhere aftere 6pm or are in walking distance to the express bus to uptown but the last return express bus runs around 10:30 p.m.
But there is great shuttle around the city with friendly drivers Especially Sharon she will crack you up and is good remembering your name and anything you share with her.
Oh I see he mention that his bus stop at the entrance of monetih park subdivision (77x north meck express and the villiage rider)

Old 02-10-2008, 05:21 PM

He never mention a shuttle?

Old 02-10-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
He never mention a shuttle?
It use to be a shuttle bus but now it a short bus to me it relative same thing
and it does run on snow days from 6:30 a.m to 7 p.m during the week
North Meck Village Rider (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CATS/Riding+CATS/N+Meck+Village+Rider.htm - broken link)

You can reserve to pick up you 1/4 mile off the route but I am not a fan of this due to when I need to go somewhere I dont want to worry about the driver forgetting I am same way with cabs or anybody lol I have little patience waiting on the unknown.
They do have bike racks in case you need to bike to a stop

Old 02-10-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
It use to be a shuttle bus but now it a short bus to me it relative same thing
and it does run on snow days from 6:30 a.m to 7 p.m during the week
North Meck Village Rider (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CATS/Riding+CATS/N+Meck+Village+Rider.htm - broken link)

You can reserve to pick up you 1/4 mile off the route but I am not a fan of this due to when I need to go somewhere I dont want to worry about the driver forgetting I am same way with cabs or anybody lol I have little patience waiting on the unknown.
They do have bike racks in case you need to bike to a stop
LOL sunny do you work for CATS because they need to hire you especially for northern transplants.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
LOL sunny do you work for CATS because they need to hire you especially for northern transplants.
I should apply lol but in their offices; they do not want me driving their buses and knowing my luck I would get the most sketchy route. They pay good up to 18 bucks a hour for the experience drivers but after 3 trips down the same ol route over and over I would go bonkers, so OP if you have anymore questions lol Im non official city data CATS representive lol
Groove1 is the light rail rep.

I have never felt unsafe on any bus. Various bus systems I have road in other metro I will say they are the most cleanest and reliable; besides snow they are generally on time or no more than 5 minutes late. and they all are equipped with security cameras.

lol you are right I should put a job appication to them. hehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte