Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2016, 02:34 PM

24 posts, read 22,685 times

Advertisements

I'm a 63-year-old female who has been working full-time since I was 22, and I have no interest in retiring before I'm at least 70. Most recently I've been working (11 years) as an office manager for a 900-member teachers' union, keeping the books (QuickBooks), paying the bills, planning events like a yearly retirement dinner, taking notes at meetings, ordering supplies ... basically doing everything and anything. Prior to that I was in advertising, media and promotions for 25+ years; I've also worked in the medical field. CT is simply too expensive, there are very few jobs, and everyone seems to be married so there's little chance for a social life. And then there's the weather! I've heard so many good things about NC and Charlotte in particular. I'm more than willing to work several minimum-wage jobs to keep my head above water while looking for an administrative position or something in promotions or event planning ... even part-time, which a lot of promotions jobs are. I don't look or act my age, but it's impossible to hide when applying for positions, so my question is has anyone else around my age tried moving to Charlotte, and did you find yourself the victim of rampant ageism? I was briefly interested in Austin but someone on this forum just came out and said "Hiring managers are told to hire young people over older, more experienced workers here in Austin." I'm not a 9-5 type; I don't watch the clock; I don't text all day; I have no problem working late or on weekends; just wondering if those things are commonly taken into consideration, or is age the most important factor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 08:58 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
I am not entirely sure you are going to find a more active social life among older singles in Charlotte. I am no expert as I moved here married, but I just don't think it will be better than where you are.

Could you stay at your current job? I wouldn't leave until you secure something if you can at all do that.

I can't speak to ageism. We do have a friend who was hired at 59 though. Don't know if age was an issue as it was never mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: