U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-19-2016, 09:51 AM
 
376 posts, read 622,520 times
Reputation: 335

Advertisements

Last night's city council meeting discussed the growing trend of builders splitting lots in established neighborhoods around Charlotte.

As a business owner, I'm all for businesses being profitable; but the greed has gotten out of hand. Builders like Bungalow Designs are ruining neighborhoods like Cotswold and Freedom Park.

Saving trees or endangering neighborhoods? City considers overhauling ordinance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2016, 08:32 AM
 
9 posts, read 5,124 times
Reputation: 15
I am so disappointed that this thread did not pick up any steam. It is amazing how these builders keep building 200+ home subdivisions around here. They literally come in and cut down all the tree's.

Unfortunately, most people in Charlotte enjoy living on 1/4 acre lots that are void of tree's.

In reality, these are FHA homes and will ultimately end up transitioning to renter and foreclosure neighborhoods. People are buying these with 1% down with a cap rate of around 280K. AVOID.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2016, 08:40 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 5,570,163 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTURFRIEND View Post
I am so disappointed that this thread did not pick up any steam. It is amazing how these builders keep building 200+ home subdivisions around here. They literally come in and cut down all the tree's.

Unfortunately, most people in Charlotte enjoy living on 1/4 acre lots that are void of tree's.

In reality, these are FHA homes and will ultimately end up transitioning to renter and foreclosure neighborhoods. People are buying these with 1% down with a cap rate of around 280K. AVOID.
Completely different issue from the OP.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2016, 08:52 AM
 
9 posts, read 5,124 times
Reputation: 15
Default nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Completely different issue from the OP.
nope. it expands upon the mentality of the builders around here and the people buying the houses. You either get a house 10 feet from someone else with tree's or a 1/4 acre lot with no tree's. If people keep buying these houses the builders will keep building them. My point is these are FHA limit houses anyway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2016, 09:01 AM
 
3,774 posts, read 7,393,485 times
Reputation: 4410
The OP is talking about tree save incentives and state law that builders are exploiting to subdivide in-town lots to cram multiple homes where 1 or 2 had always been before.

It is disappointing, because savvy builders are using loopholes to essentially create subdivisions that aren't subject to normal requirements.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2016, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
2,056 posts, read 2,188,676 times
Reputation: 3540
We bought in the Settler's Landing neighborhood off of 51 back in 2001. I didn't stay long, but that neighborhood was excellent, and had enormous tree coverage. I hate to see Charlotte transition to something lesser than that modest neighborhood.

My answer? Money is too cheap. Debt is too easy to come by, but income is a dam near impossibility.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2016, 10:44 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 5,570,163 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTURFRIEND View Post
nope. it expands upon the mentality of the builders around here and the people buying the houses. You either get a house 10 feet from someone else with tree's or a 1/4 acre lot with no tree's. If people keep buying these houses the builders will keep building them. My point is these are FHA limit houses anyway.
Yep. Totally different issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2016, 04:54 PM
 
1,035 posts, read 1,341,144 times
Reputation: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
We bought in the Settler's Landing neighborhood off of 51 back in 2001. I didn't stay long, but that neighborhood was excellent, and had enormous tree coverage. I hate to see Charlotte transition to something lesser than that modest neighborhood.

My answer? Money is too cheap. Debt is too easy to come by, but income is a dam near impossibility.
Income is impossible? No, not even close. Unskilled income is near impossible, but white collar and skilled blue collar income is not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top