Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:43 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times

Advertisements

I keep reading comments about how "yuppie" Charlotte is . . . and how there is so much "sameness" here and I have to giggle, b/c that is not the Charlotte I know . . . and neither is it the South I know.

I am a native. And I have seen this region change so much due to influx of newcomers. Now don't get me wrong! I love most of the changes (well, not the crowded roads and schools - but outside of that . . . )

The yuppiest of the yuppies are not from Charlotte. The McMansions are more often than not occupied by transplants.

I am in medical/healthcare and my latest info indicates that the majority of the cosmetic surgery that is going on here is being purchased by people who have moved here from out of state. The docs are loving it!

The only "style" trend that has ever existed in this region of the State has been "preppy" but that has been in a rather slim group, typically those w/ Country Club memberships . . .

(Now I am not talking about kids here - You could see Goth here in the 80s).

So I am wondering . . . how many of you actually have any natives in your neighborhoods? How many of you are really friends (visit in the homes) of anyone who was born here?

My observation has been - all this "aspirational" yuppie and DINK wealthy-wannabe stuff basically started w/ the influx of newcomers. Prior to that, it was pretty much New Money vs. Old Money, and never the twain shall meet (except when there is a charity event - and then the Old Money will definitely take checks from the New Money, even if they would never actually invite them to join their clubs). And then there were the rest of us, LOL.

So what has your experience been w/ really knowing the locals? Do tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 12:46 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,954,573 times
My wife is a native... Here family have been here in Huntersville for many many years. I have been here 20 of my 32 years

Old 02-19-2008, 12:48 PM

Come to think of it most of my social circle are natives.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
My wife is a native... Here family have been here in Huntersville for many many years. I have been here 20 of my 32 years
Okay - you are a good person to ask, then. Do you think Southerners basically have the same taste, all dress pretty much alike, drive the same cars, etc. or have you seen a full spectrum - including travel and sports preferences, lifestyle, etc and a lot of variety - urban vs. rural, country vs. sophisticated, follow the crowd vs. do your own thing, etc.

And - can you spot a newcomer just by looking at him or her? And do you consider yourself a Southerner now, after being here 20 years?

Last edited by brokensky; 02-19-2008 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 02-19-2008, 12:58 PM

I think they all have different tastes. It really seems more of the up bringing. Were the parents growing up working class or some Exec somewhere. This then allowed for them to travel further than Myrtle Beach I think I can spot an "outsider" pretty well by the way they carry themselves.

Considering I have had family in the Huntersville area since WWII and we used to visit growing up I would consider myself a Southerner now. I think once you spend more time in one area for more than 1/2 your life you have that privilege.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
I think they all have different tastes. It really seems more of the up bringing. Were the parents growing up working class or some Exec somewhere. This then allowed for them to travel further than Myrtle Beach I think I can spot an "outsider" pretty well by the way they carry themselves.

Considering I have had family in the Huntersville area since WWII and we used to visit growing up I would consider myself a Southerner now. I think once you spend more time in one area for more than 1/2 your life you have that privilege.
I agree. You qualify as bona fide Southerner in my book. I really appreciate your sharing your experiences. I can tell someone new in about 2 seconds, too!

Old 02-19-2008, 01:11 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,457,225 times
Quote:
So what has your experience been w/ really knowing the locals? Do tell.
Great question ani! I'm interested to read what others have to say.

* I am a NC native (grew up in the triad). My family has been in NC for generations. My best friend was born and raised (as her parents, grandparents and great-grandparents were) in Gaston county.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Great question ani! I'm interested to read what others have to say.

* I am a NC native (grew up in the triad). My family has been in NC for generations. My best friend was born and raised (as her parents, grandparents and great-grandparents were) in Gaston county.

You are probably DAR material, LOL. So tell me . . . do you feel Southerners basically live the same lifestyles or do you see people doing their own things? Do you dress like others around you - pretty much follow what you see others doing - or do you choose things based on your own particular tastes - and/or what is "fashionable?" In other words, do you feel comfortable being yourself - and buying something a little unusual - or do you feel you need to "fit in?" Would you try a totally different hairstyle or color b/f you saw your friends doing it - or would you wait to see how accepted it is?

I guess what I am trying to say is - do you think natives here kind of stick together w/ our tastes . . . or do you find people do their own things, if that makes sense!!!!!

Last edited by brokensky; 02-19-2008 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: add word

Old 02-19-2008, 01:29 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,457,225 times
In my experience people do their own thing. In my circle of friends, everyone has their own style, drives a different kind of car, etc. I believe that individuality is important - variety is the spice of life! Once I got out of high school I stopped caring about fitting in. I am who I am and people can take me or leave me.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
In my experience people do their own thing. In my circle of friends, everyone has their own style, drives a different kind of car, etc. I believe that individuality is important - variety is the spice of life! Once I got out of high school I stopped caring about fitting in. I am who I am and people can take me or leave me.
YES! Some things are nice to share as traditions - such as favorite recipes, dividing up a plant (You gotta have some of grandma's forsythias!!!!), the family quilt . . . but as for following the crowd . . . my friends typically love finding something new and different and even something a bit offbeat w/ their own wardrobes, furniture, kids' clothes . . .even food finds.

So I just wondered about everyone else. I think sometimes we Southerners get stereotyped as being all "cut from the same cloth" but in my experience, Southerners love sharing new things - and being the first person in "the crowd" to introduce something new and different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte