Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 07:06 PM

99 posts, read 522,319 times

Advertisements

Dear Friends,
I am looking for a room mate in Charlotte near UNCC area. This is not a post to find one but I would like to know from you guys that how and where can I find a room mate in Charlotte. Also, living with someone whom I dont know, how should I verify his/her records whether it will be safe and good experience living with him/her?

Any inputs and help will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 09:12 PM

20 posts, read 113,897 times
Craigslist tend to have a lot of listings.. or the UNCC school newspaper

Old 02-24-2008, 10:07 PM

228 posts, read 910,729 times
I personally found my roomate on Craigslist but I also know a lot of people who had success with Roomates.com (I used it as well and found it to be a great resource). If i were to do it again those would be the places I would look. Basically you could ask them to provide "references" but most people I know that have found a roomate online have met/hung out with the person a few times before making the "final decision" if you would match as roomates. Good luck!

Old 02-24-2008, 10:58 PM

450 posts, read 2,321,496 times
If you are looking for, or wouldn't mind a student as a roommate you could go on campus at UNCC and post a note on the bulletin boards. When I was there, they had a few outside located around campus for common use I think and the dorms have them, etc...I don't know how you;d verify safety and background though.

Craiglist is maybe the most likely to get a response? But I'd have safety issues and concerns with that especially. It could work out great but could be risky, too....so it may be that a website specifically for roommates like someone else's suggestions would be safer?

If you do use Craigslist,maybe you could indicate that prospective roommates will be checked out, and only meet with a potential roommate at a safe public place, and don't give them any personal info other than your name until you're sure they're ok (ie, don't answer a response to your Craigslist add and tell them your name, current address, where you will be living and a lotof other personal info about yourself until you get to know them)...have a friend gowith you to meet them, or maybe you could get the possible roommate to agree that you BOTH will have each other checked out to guarantee both of your safety? Maybe someone here can offer ideas on what you both could do make the other feel safe and ok about the rooming choice. I don't know, maybe you could each pay for a background check on each other..??

Maybe someone else here can help by telling you what you can do to check things out. I am not sure if those background check websites are legit or would truly come up with all the important info you'd need to feel ok...but I know you do NOT want to give someone your social security number or driver's license number or any info like that that they could use to check you...it would be better if you find a roommate through someone you both know, but if that was possible you wouldn't be asking here...*thinking*...

Now that I think about it, I'd say use Craigslist because it does get a lot of responses, indicate that you want a roommate who will not mind being checked out, and then ask for references- and try to have the potential roommate give you the names and phone numbers and emails of SOLID references. Maybe someone they work with, their boss would be willing to be a reference and you could see that the references are good and solid..definitely ask a potential roommate for personal references that you can contact. The more the better. If they have family in this area perhaps their family would be known and you could check around that way. It's not in reference to getting a roommate, but I've gotten better help in some situations when I have told the person that my father in law owns a local business, and told them who he is. They know of him and his trustworthy reputation,then they know I'm straight up. So if your potential roommate can give you a good enough reference to speak for him, maybe that will be enough to make everything safe enough. Hope this makes sense, I'm on my way to bed and I'm sleepy and a bit rambly....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: