Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2017, 08:01 AM

549 posts, read 670,353 times

Advertisements

Two new options, F and G, are now on the UCPS website.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...E9EdmUta19iaXc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 11:56 AM

631 posts, read 881,977 times
Wow, G will ruffle some feathers.

But don't worry, my friends. Merrill and Hientel's neighborhoods are all that matter.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:45 PM

398 posts, read 611,255 times
what a cluster...am I correct in saying that in Opt.G all of Millbridge is moved to Marvin Ridge?

Last edited by raithfan; 10-31-2017 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: i'm am slow

Old 10-31-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
what a cluster...am I correct in saying that in Opt.G all of Millbridge is moved to Marvin Ridge?
Yes.

Kensington Elementary would move from the Cuthbertson cluster to the Marvin Ridge cluster.

Rea View Elementary would move from the Marvin Ridge cluster to the Weddington cluster.

Wesley Chapel Elementary would move from the Sun Valley cluster to the Cuthbertson cluster.

Western Union Elementary and Waxhaw Elementary would be split between the Parkwood cluster and the Cuthbertson cluster.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:10 PM

114 posts, read 128,852 times
Quote:
Wow, that seems to really change a lot of existing feeders and families.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Stop with the facts. None of that matters. Heintel and Merrill will move 6000 kids so their hoods are happy.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:43 PM

This "transparency" which means the CAC and the consultant don't get relevant information is a problem. The redistricting plan can't be done in isolation; it has to be aligned with the construction and academic programming plans.

Now, UCPS is making major academic programming changes in the middle of the process and the CAC and consultant are not aware. At the Curriculum Committee Meeting on Tuesday, UCPS said they plan to extend the Language Immersion programs into the middle schools next year for those students who have been in the programs since Kindergarten. However, the programs are only going to be extended into certain middle schools.

Marvin (15 5th grade students), Shiloh (16 5th grade students), and SV Elem (15 5th grade students) will all have Language Immersion students age up to middle school next year. The plan is to teach Social Studies and Science in a foreign language in 6th and 7th grades and offer a language course in 8th grade that will give students 3 hours of high school credit. This would only be for students matriculating from the elementary programs. Classes sizes were originally 22 to 23 when students entered the program in Kindergarten but have fallen to 15 or 16 by 5th grade. We don't get teacher allotments to allow for classes of 15 or 16, hence UCPS's idea to combine elementary school Language Immersion students from neighboring clusters in one of the two middle schools.

So, in Year 1, Marvin would have Mandarin Language Immersion classes of around 15 students while Sun Valley Middle would have Spanish Language Immersion classes of around 30.

In Year 2, Kensington's Mandarin students would reach middle school as would Unionville's Spanish students. UCPS says they can't afford to have Language Immersion at Cuthbertson too, so Kensington students will have to transfer from Cuthbertson to Marvin Middle to stay in the program. UCPS says they are considering providing transportation.

In Year 2, UCPS also plans to create a Spanish Language Immersion Program at Piedmont Middle for the students moving up from Unionville.

In Year 3, Poplin Elementary Spanish Language Immersion students will reach middle school. UCPS currently plans to have them transfer over to Piedmont Middle from Porter Ridge Middle. If 15 to 20 students transfer to Piedmont Middle each year, the Language Immersion Program will have increased Piedmont Middle's enrollment by at least 45 to 60 students after three years. Maybe that doesn't sound like a lot but Piedmont Middle is our most crowded middle school up close to 100% of capacity in every option. Why would UCPS not just establish the program at Porter Ridge Middle which is never above 79% of capacity in any option and have Piedmont students transfer?

In Year 3, UCPS also plans to establish a program at Weddington Middle since Antioch and Weddington Elementary Spanish Language Immersion students will reach middle school.

In Year 3, Western Union Spanish Language Immersion students will also reach middle school but UCPS has no answer yet about what will happen to them. In some options Western Union may be a split feeder for Parkwood and Cuthbertson meaning Western Union's Language Immersion students would be split. UCPS already said they didn't plan to extend Language Immersion into Cuthbertson Middle, so I doubt they will extend it into Parkwood Middle for a small number of students. Is UCPS going to provide transportation all the way to Weddington or Marvin Middle for the students moving up from Western Union?

This is all ridiculous. UCPS can't have special programs for special schools if there is going to be this constant redistricting. All schools need to have the special programs or we need magnets. This doesn't work.

It particularly doesn't work when the people formulating the realignment plan haven't even been told about new academic programs that will effect student transfers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwhhtyOi5To

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 11-02-2017 at 01:15 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 08:06 PM

Oh great. Can you give a quick overview? I’m traveling at the moment. I know option G just got a whole bunch of attention from the rest of the county. The BOE keeps fumbing this process.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Oh great. Can you give a quick overview? I’m traveling at the moment. I know option G just got a whole bunch of attention from the rest of the county. The BOE keeps fumbing this process.
Sorry. I deleted my comment because I wanted to collect my thoughts and make a longer post. I’ll do that later though. To sum it up:

Some of the committee members met and made changes to the maps. They presented them at the meeting and Cropper made the rest of the committee select from modified maps to move on in the process rather than the ones they studied for the last few days. Basically, they made eliminations without utilization numbers for the modified maps.

Some of the major modifications suggested were moving St. John’s Forest to SV and splitting Millbridge. There were a bunch of others too. Some of them may have made sense but the commmittee didn’t have the numbers.

This didn’t happen without the approval of certain board members one of who ironically at the end of the meeting ran up and directed Cropper to tell the other committee members they aren’t to meet with neighborhoods or with each other outside of CAC meetings.

So the CAPS fix is in.

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 11-02-2017 at 09:47 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 08:51 PM

What you probably want to know is Options B, E, and F moved on for the West. The East has those and A. A was tied with B and the East reps weren’t there to break the tie. G made sense to me for Parkwood but it got axed. B, C and E were the ones that got the CAPS modifications beforehand so I’m not sure what B and E actually look like now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte