Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 08:20 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,646,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Finally! Someone else who 'gets it'...and this is EXACTLY what will happen, as people who get tired of living next to the ghettos PLUS taxes keep going UP, will find other places to MOVE. Then Uptown, PM, NoDa will all have major issues as the peeps buying up all these properties will still need to RENT them and they will rent them to just anyone. WATCH....
You should play the lottery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
The majority of Charlotte is suburban in nature, and I think that's why a lot of people find it's "big city" characteristics to be unacceptable - especially in light of the fact that Charlotte's neighbors (e.g. Fort Mill, Huntersville, etc.), have similar density/characteristics, with much lower rates of crime.
Is Charlotte losing residents? I think not

http://www.curbed.com/2016/12/6/1384...housing-market

Uptowns Wards are booming. If you can't handle urban living thats fine, there are tons of youbg professionals moving in every day to take advantage of what the city has to offer.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:59 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,648,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Is Charlotte losing residents? I think not

http://www.curbed.com/2016/12/6/1384...housing-market

Uptowns Wards are booming. If you can't handle urban living thats fine, there are tons of youbg professionals moving in every day to take advantage of what the city has to offer.
The majority of Charlotte is suburban:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1847...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/place/13...!4d-80.9332048

https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8

https://www.google.com/maps/place/76...!4d-80.7670274

https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Attached Thumbnails
:::What's Going On In Plaza Midwood?-1.png   :::What's Going On In Plaza Midwood?-2.png   :::What's Going On In Plaza Midwood?-3.png   :::What's Going On In Plaza Midwood?-4.png  

Old 02-06-2017, 09:16 AM

My point is simply this: outside of the urban areas in and around Downtown CLT, most of Charlotte is suburban in character, and no different than many of the towns surrounding it. Yet most areas outside of Charlotte enjoy lower crime rates, and there's no reason that this should be so.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:36 AM

A typical Dilworth streetscene, versus a typical streetscene in Belmont's historic district
Attached Thumbnails
:::What's Going On In Plaza Midwood?-dilworth.png   :::What's Going On In Plaza Midwood?-belmont.png  

Old 02-06-2017, 09:39 AM

A typical streetscene in Plaza Midwood versus that of Cramerton
Attached Thumbnails
:::What's Going On In Plaza Midwood?-plaza-midwood.png   :::What's Going On In Plaza Midwood?-cramerton.png  

Old 02-06-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
My point is simply this: outside of the urban areas in and around Downtown CLT, most of Charlotte is suburban in character, and no different than many of the towns surrounding it. Yet most areas outside of Charlotte enjoy lower crime rates, and there's no reason that this should be so.
It's called population density. There are more people living close together inside the Wards than the outer burbs.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:35 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,068,412 times
NDL - can you expand on your point? I'm having trouble grasping it. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
NDL - can you expand on your point? I'm having trouble grasping it. Thanks in advance.
Here's a look into my thought process:

Familiarity breeds comfortability. Therefore, I can traverse several areas in NY/NJ via "instinct," and feel comfortable while doing so, even in those areas which might have issues with crime. It doesn't bother me, for I have a "sixth sense" in those areas.

I don't yet have that "instinct" as I move about Charlotte, as it still doesn't have that "worn in" feeling that I have toward my favorite pair of boots, in spite of the fact that I have lived in this area for awhile.

What I have yet to determine is whether or not there are indeed issues with crime in Charlotte -or- is it that my lack of familiarity with Charlotte makes me less comfortable (not having that "sixth sense" instinct), which causes me to approach Charlotte with some degree of "alertness"?

To answer your question:

One thing that folks repeat on this forum from time to time is the feeling that "Charlotte is a city, therefore it has the negative characteristics that are common to city life."

I reject such a notion, because outside of Downtown CLT, and a few areas that surround Downtown, CLT is laid out in a low to medium density, suburban style format.

Charlotte is not a city, and because it's not a city, it shouldn't suffer from the negative characteristics that plague cities.

To offer as proof that Charlotte is no different than it's suburban neighbors, I took screenshots of streetscenes in, and outside of, Charlotte.

I can't get criminal statistics of individual neighborhoods within Charlotte, but I can get statistics of the suburban towns that surround Charlotte, and the level of crime in Charlotte's suburban neighbors is low.

I often wonder why this is so, because comparing Charlotte's neighborhoods to some of it's suburban neighbors is an "apples to apples" comparison.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Here's a look into my thought process:

Familiarity breeds comfortability. Therefore, I can traverse several areas in NY/NJ via "instinct," and feel comfortable while doing so, even in those areas which might have issues with crime. It doesn't bother me, for I have a "sixth sense" in those areas.

I don't yet have that "instinct" as I move about Charlotte, as it still doesn't have that "worn in" feeling that I have toward my favorite pair of boots, in spite of the fact that I have lived in this area for awhile.

What I have yet to determine is whether or not there are indeed issues with crime in Charlotte -or- is it that my lack of familiarity with Charlotte makes me less comfortable (not having that "sixth sense" instinct), which causes me to approach Charlotte with some degree of "alertness"?

To answer your question:

One thing that folks repeat on this forum from time to time is the feeling that "Charlotte is a city, therefore it has the negative characteristics that are common to city life."

I reject such a notion, because outside of Downtown CLT, and a few areas that surround Downtown, CLT is laid out in a low to medium density, suburban style format.

Charlotte is not a city, and because it's not a city, it shouldn't suffer from the negative characteristics that plague cities.

To offer as proof that Charlotte is no different than it's suburban neighbors, I took screenshots of streetscenes in, and outside of, Charlotte.

I can't get criminal statistics of individual neighborhoods within Charlotte, but I can get statistics of the suburban towns that surround Charlotte, and the level of crime in Charlotte's suburban neighbors is low.

I often wonder why this is so, because comparing Charlotte's neighborhoods to some of it's suburban neighbors is an "apples to apples" comparison.
Oh, Charlotte is indeed a city. I think you are using a northern bias when viewing Charlotte. You don't see burned out brick rowhouses or a tightly stacked concrete jungle so it's not a "city" by your definition.

Put it this way, the first time I went to ATL and Los Angeles I couldn't understand how they had "crime" in some of the neighborhoods that look middle class with trimmed yards and driveways.

Wilmington is the same way. They have some rough spots that don't look like rough spots but the stats don't lie.

Charlotte is a city. It's a growing city too and some of the transplants AND some of the natives have no problem breaking the law. It will never look like a northern city with high density aesthetics but it's a city and like any city there will be crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte