Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 10:59 PM

17 posts, read 27,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
If the high school is ranked high, the feeder schools will be as well. Don't look short term, unless you plan to move in 6 years and move your child away from his friends.

Do you want CMS? Top high schools are Ardrey Kell, Providence, and Myers Park.

Do you want Union County? Marvin Ridge, Cuthberson, and Weddington

Now, does this mean they are the the best schools? Well, the statistics they use says they are, but there are other great schools too.

You won't find apartments much in UC though, they are single family homes and very few rentals.
Hi Dwan, thanks for your note. Apologies for my ignorance of the US schooling system. Just wanted to clarify what are feeder schools? Also does all High schools have elementary schools bcos my son is just 6 years so I am looking for an elementary school only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 10:29 AM

17 posts, read 27,354 times
Hello friends,

Is it true that every address in Charlotte has been assigned a home school and everyone who leases an apartment at that address is guaranteed admission in the home school? Please advice.

Thanks

Old 04-01-2017, 12:57 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajinclt View Post
Hello friends,

Is it true that every address in Charlotte has been assigned a home school and everyone who leases an apartment at that address is guaranteed admission in the home school? Please advice.

Thanks
You can lease an apartment and still not get assigned to the school in that district. You must also prove you live in the apartment. They do random checks to be sure the apartment isn't just rented for the school district and you are living elsewhere.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:01 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Hello friends,

Thanks
It depends on the boundaries of the particular elementary school and if any apartments are within the boundaries. I believe on great schools.org you can check addresses to see what school you would be assigned.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
It depends on the boundaries of the particular elementary school and if any apartments are within the boundaries. I believe on great schools.org you can check addresses to see what school you would be assigned.
I wouldn't trust a third party site no matter how good they are.

This is where to go for address locator for school assignments in CMS:

https://mcmap.org/geoportal/

Old 04-02-2017, 08:47 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Quote:
Hi Dwan, thanks for your note. Apologies for my ignorance of the US schooling system. Just wanted to clarify what are feeder schools? Also does all High schools have elementary schools bcos my son is just 6 years so I am looking for an elementary school only.
Sorry, just seeing this now. Elementary schools feed into middle schools and middle schools feed into high schools.

You say you are only looking at Elem. schools, but you do know that your child will eventually be 11 and go to middle school. I am saying you need to look at the whole picture, not just what your child will be doing from ages 6-11.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:55 AM

3 posts, read 1,897 times
Quote:
Hi, I completely subscribe to both of your comments and understand that best school concept is very subjective and varies from person to person. As I am relocating from Delhi (India), I was looking for a school which has students from diverse backgrounds and cultures, in addition to providing a strong academic curriculum. For us adapting to the new country will be the key and wanted a school which can help us adapt quickly to the new environment. Thanks!!

Matthews Elementary is a great school in Matthews, NC and about 15-20 minutes away from uptown. Most school scores are based on EOG's which many teachers are forced to place extreme emphasis on against their will. If you want a good school, look at the other statistics that really matter.

Matthews Elementary, Hemby Bridge Elementary, Stallings Elementary, Weddington Elementary, Elizabeth Lane Elementary are all wonderful public schools and diverse. They're all located in South Charlotte.

Edit: Matthews Reserve Apartments are nice and safe and about a 5 minute drive to Matthews Elementary. Colonial Grand Apartments are even nicer and will also get your kid into Matthews Elementary. Any of the above schools I mentioned and I canguarantee your kid will get a quality education in a safe environment without shelling out cash for a private school. In addition, all of the above schools will transfer into to quality middle and high schools to include Porter Ridge, Providence, Independence, Weddington and Marvin Ridge.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:58 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John89178 View Post
Matthews Elementary is a great school in Matthews, NC and about 15-20 minutes away from uptown. Most school scores are based on EOG's which many teachers are forced to place extreme emphasis on against their will. If you want a good school, look at the other statistics that really matter.

Matthews Elementary, Hemby Bridge Elementary, Stallings Elementary, Weddington Elementary, Elizabeth Lane Elementary are all wonderful public schools and diverse. They're all located in South Charlotte.
Just a word of note. 3 of those are located in Union County Public Schools and two of them are located in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John89178 View Post

Edit: Matthews Reserve Apartments are nice and safe and about a 5 minute drive to Matthews Elementary. Colonial Grand Apartments are even nicer and will also get your kid into Matthews Elementary. Any of the above schools I mentioned and I canguarantee your kid will get a quality education in a safe environment without shelling out cash for a private school. In addition, all of the above schools will transfer into to quality middle and high schools to include Porter Ridge, Providence, Independence, Weddington and Marvin Ridge.
As Dawn mentioned, the three schools highlighted above are NOT South Charlotte schools, they are in a different county and feed middle and highs that are not in South Charlotte or CMS.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:33 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
I think the OP is looking for Charlotte schools - not Union County.

BTW - You might can get from Matthews Elementary to center city in 20 minutes in the middle of the night but you won't be able to do it in rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte