Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 03:15 PM

486 posts, read 464,713 times

Advertisements

Sorry im not very savvy on politics so this us vague to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 04:50 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well. . .there's the yellow dog Democrats, who are similar to moderate Republicans, in the north.

I'm in District 10 for the federal house of representatives. I think that you are too. Let me break it down, since Hickory is also District 10.

Burke County ( Morganton ) is quite blue, but is mostly yellow dog Democrats. Cleveland County is quite purple. Kings Mountain & Grover, in the east range from bright blue to yellow dogs, Shelby is a mix, & the outlying towns are red to purple with the blue being yellow dogs. Gaston has been red but is trending purple. Lincoln County is bright red. I think that Catawba County is purple. Rutherford County is sort of a reddish purple. Polk County is blue, but I don't know how many are yellow dogs. Then there's bright blue Asheville, which was gerrymandered into the district to get their votes out of District 11 & have their votes cancelled by the fiscal conservatives in Gastonia. McHenry avoids town halls in Kings Mountain & Asheville, where he's likely to be shouted down, unless he has to. The last time that he had a town hall in Kings Mountain, the city had every policeman available scheduled for the town hall.
Where did you get Kings Mountain ranges from bright blue to yellow dog Democrats? Trump beat Clinton by 40 percentage points in Kings Mountain. It was the second most red part of the 85 corridor west of Charlotte after Belmont. Catawba County isn't close to purple. Trump took 67% of the vote and a Democrat hasn't taken more than 37% of the vote since 1980.:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...inct-maps.html

Old 04-22-2017, 05:11 PM

486 posts, read 464,713 times
Totally lost here

Old 04-22-2017, 05:27 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm10269123 View Post
That doesnt sound very welcoming but thank you for your input. I only hope that wherever we decide to move, that we are nit judged by our political beliefs or the fact that we are coming from upstate ny. I dont feel you were very clear in your explanation. But thats ok. When we visited hickory, we were very welcomed in the church we attended. They even offered to help us with our move when the time comes. So in response to your saying that people will keep us at arms length, i dont tend to agree with. We arent worried about not making friends. We plan to join a church and start there. Ty again for your thoughts
Calgirlinnc nailed it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
"...people will be very friendly on the surface, but it is VERY hard to move into someone's inner circle. That's what the previous poster meant by arm's length.

"...Folks here are hospitable, welcoming, friendly, polite.....but if they have lived here all their lives and you haven't, your friendships will not evolve past a certain point. It is often easier to make closer friendships with other non-Southerners.
To be fair, my description about relationship building does not apply to every Southerner , but it does apply to a good number of folks. That isn't to say that folks around here are bad, or unkind, etc. Everyone's different. But the phenomenon about which I speak is common enough for me to have mentioned it.

It's your prerogative to disagree . What I told you is something that someone cautioned me about, before my Wife & I moved down. It wasn't until I had lived here for a good 3-4 years that I realized what I had described as "being the case."

You will also get stereotyped because you are from New York, much in the same way that a Southerner would get stereotyped if he/she lived in New York. I have not found anyone unkind in their stereotyping however, and most people will give you a fair shake if you're kind and respectful toward them. One notable thing: I have found there to be more racial harmony here in the South, than what we had up NY.

All in all, the move to NC was a good one. There are a lot of nice, good, and decent folks here, and I think that government works far better here than it does in NY. The local governments don't "nickle and dime" you continually, and a lot of what's done here is done with a common sense approach.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:28 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well. . .there's the yellow dog Democrats, who are similar to moderate Republicans, in the north.

I'm in District 10 for the federal house of representatives. I think that you are too. Let me break it down, since Hickory is also District 10.

Burke County ( Morganton ) is quite blue, but is mostly yellow dog Democrats. Cleveland County is quite purple. Kings Mountain & Grover, in the east range from bright blue to yellow dogs, Shelby is a mix, & the outlying towns are red to purple with the blue being yellow dogs. Gaston has been red but is trending purple. Lincoln County is bright red. I think that Catawba County is purple. Rutherford County is sort of a reddish purple. Polk County is blue, but I don't know how many are yellow dogs. Then there's bright blue Asheville, which was gerrymandered into the district to get their votes out of District 11 & have their votes cancelled by the fiscal conservatives in Gastonia. McHenry avoids town halls in Kings Mountain & Asheville, where he's likely to be shouted down, unless he has to. The last time that he had a town hall in Kings Mountain, the city had every policeman available scheduled for the town hall.
I've got some Googling to do ...

In the meantime, you think Gaston trends purple?

Old 04-22-2017, 06:07 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Where did you get Kings Mountain ranges from bright blue to yellow dog Democrats? Trump beat Clinton by 40 percentage points in Kings Mountain. It was the second most red part of the 85 corridor west of Charlotte after Belmont. Catawba County isn't close to purple. Trump took 67% of the vote and a Democrat hasn't taken more than 37% of the vote since 1980.:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...inct-maps.html
I live in Kings Mountain, in the city. I talk to people. Not everyone is a Democrat. In fact, I'm unaffiliated. The polls are also used by people from outside the city limits. I know some people from outside the city limits who are bright red & others who are bright blue. I know a native who was so conflicted that he flipped a coin that had him vote for Trump, & now he's sorry that he did. I have no clue how many coins got flipped around here. I was approached by Trump supporters at the polls for the primary & the general election. I was told to discount what the evil Democrats were saying about Trump. Both times I told them that they must mean the story about Trump not paying contractors & since I first heard it in 1989, from a contractor, I would certainly take it into consideration. I also based it on articles that are periodically published in the Kings Mountain Herald giving the registration rundown. You don't have to vote for the people who are running for the party that you're registered with.

I made a guess on Catawba County based on seeing a mix of signs in people's yards.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:15 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I've got some Googling to do ...

In the meantime, you think Gaston trends purple?
After the election, francois posted a map that included purple. Cleveland & Gaston were both purple. Gaston has been reliably red. I was surprised enough to take note.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:16 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Calgirlinnc nailed it:

To be fair, my description about relationship building does not apply to every Southerner , but it does apply to a good number of folks. That isn't to say that folks around here are bad, or unkind, etc. Everyone's different. But the phenomenon about which I speak is common enough for me to have mentioned it.

It's your prerogative to disagree . What I told you is something that someone cautioned me about, before my Wife & I moved down. It wasn't until I had lived here for a good 3-4 years that I realized what I had described as "being the case."

You will also get stereotyped because you are from New York, much in the same way that a Southerner would get stereotyped if he/she lived in New York. I have not found anyone unkind in their stereotyping however, and most people will give you a fair shake if you're kind and respectful toward them. One notable thing: I have found there to be more racial harmony here in the South, than what we had up NY.

All in all, the move to NC was a good one. There are a lot of nice, good, and decent folks here, and I think that government works far better here than it does in NY. The local governments don't "nickle and dime" you continually, and a lot of what's done here is done with a common sense approach.
I thinks it more about personality than a region of the country when it come to building relationships. It will be difficult to penetrate any inner circle no matter where you relocate. It's practically impossible if you don't share a common passion. Some of ya'll act is if though people are embracing folks with open arms in NY, Cali, etc which is far from the case and my experiences.

Are you insinuating that native southerners relocating to north aren't stereotyped? Rural America is rural America for the most part with differences in culture and dialect but the enclave mentality in a small town is a common thing.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:58 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Are you insinuating that native southerners relocating to north aren't stereotyped? Rural America is rural America for the most part with differences in culture and dialect but the enclave mentality in a small town is a common thing.
No, and I said as much in an earlier post. The stereotypes that Northeasterners have of Southerners, is probably far worse than the stereotypes that Southerners have of people from the Northeast.

All in all, I would say that any stereotyping that I have experienced here (if I have experienced any stereotyping at all), is a non-issue. When people get to know you as a person, they deal with you on the basis of how you treat them.

If anyone has problems with people in this area, it's likely that their approach is bad.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:31 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times
The responses here are all over the map! They said they want to know about the Concord area and I think Concord is most suitable. You don't have to frequent Charlotte to live in the metro. The golden years will be boring in Morganton or even Hickory I'm sad to say. Forget Shelby or Gastonia which is boring and lots of traffic, respectively. A lifelong resident said Hickory is going downhill, though it's still cosmopolitan for the area.

I recommend Concord or Kannapolis which is much in your budget with still plenty to do be it nature or places to go out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte