Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 03:01 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times

Advertisements

Is there some sort of map or something to give me an idea of what all these areas are called. My husband will be working on Water Ridge Pkwy and I was told thats uptown, then told its not uptown but close, then told thats just "by the airport" on the outskirts. Then I hear other areas like Uni, NODA (what does that stand for?)etc and I have no clue where those areas are. Can someone help please. I've never leaved near a city before and I don't want to be strayng alone in areas that I shouldn't, especially with a small child in tow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 03:36 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
here is a link to Google maps:

In the upper right hand corner of this map you will see NODA, or North Davidson Street area.
The marker is on Water Ridge Parkway
You can see the intersection of Trade and Tryon which is the center of downtown/uptown (depending upon whether you are a native, hipster, blue hair, liberal or conservative)

The airport is to the northwest of WR parkway.

University City is off the map on the top right side well past NODA, all the way out N Tryon St.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wa...!4d-80.9249553

Last edited by getatag; 05-01-2017 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: clarifying remarks

Old 05-02-2017, 09:25 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Is there some sort of map or something to give me an idea of what all these areas are called. My husband will be working on Water Ridge Pkwy and I was told thats uptown, then told its not uptown but close, then told thats just "by the airport" on the outskirts. Then I hear other areas like Uni, NODA (what does that stand for?)etc and I have no clue where those areas are. Can someone help please. I've never leaved near a city before and I don't want to be strayng alone in areas that I shouldn't, especially with a small child in tow.
Water Ridge Parkway is definitely not uptown, whoever told you that has no idea what they're talking about.

It's not far from uptown, but "close" may be pushing it. It is near the airport (hopefully you could have figured that out yourself).

Uptown is really only what's inside 277 & 77.

I think people have asked for a neighborhood map in the past but I haven't really seen one that includes more than just the closer-in areas (which University City is not a part of).

Here is one that at least has a few of the more popular areas (although it's not updated with the completion of 485. The airport and Water Ridge Parkway are just to the west of Billy Graham Parkway):

http://wikitravel.org/en/File:Charlo...tricts_map.png

Your best bet might be to look at a zip code map. Something like this:

Water Ridge Parkway is kinda near where it says "521" to the bottom right of the airport. Although side note I'm pretty sure that's not route 521 so maybe this map isn't that great after all. UNC Charlotte basically straddles 28262 and 28213, however many include much of 28269 in the "University area" also (there isn't really a set definition).

Some zip codes however do have a wide range of neighborhoods from good to bad so your best would be to check crime stats for any specific location you are looking at.

In terms of your other thread, Steele Creek is actually one specific neighborhood, but many people refer to much of 28273 and 28278 as "the Steele Creek area." That would probably be a good place to look for a decent commute to Water Ridge Parkway at not crazy high rental rates.

Last edited by GoPhils; 05-02-2017 at 09:34 PM..

Old 05-03-2017, 06:58 AM

751 posts, read 933,803 times
I just googled "charlotte neighborhood map" (no quotes) and two of the first three hits ( different city-data post) both had good maps of the neighborhoods.

Or conversely, go to the image results from that same search and there's a good color-coded map that comes up as the first response for neighborhoods near uptown and a pretty cool black and white one with neighborhood names written out that zooms out a bit further.

Last edited by Yac; 11-12-2020 at 02:35 AM..

Old 05-03-2017, 08:06 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Water Ridge Parkway is definitely not uptown, whoever told you that has no idea what they're talking about.

It's not far from uptown, but "close" may be pushing it. It is near the airport (hopefully you could have figured that out yourself).

Uptown is really only what's inside 277 & 77.

I think people have asked for a neighborhood map in the past but I haven't really seen one that includes more than just the closer-in areas (which University City is not a part of).

Here is one that at least has a few of the more popular areas (although it's not updated with the completion of 485. The airport and Water Ridge Parkway are just to the west of Billy Graham Parkway):

File:Charlotte districts map.png - Wikitravel

Your best bet might be to look at a zip code map. Something like this:

Water Ridge Parkway is kinda near where it says "521" to the bottom right of the airport. Although side note I'm pretty sure that's not route 521 so maybe this map isn't that great after all. UNC Charlotte basically straddles 28262 and 28213, however many include much of 28269 in the "University area" also (there isn't really a set definition).

Some zip codes however do have a wide range of neighborhoods from good to bad so your best would be to check crime stats for any specific location you are looking at.

In terms of your other thread, Steele Creek is actually one specific neighborhood, but many people refer to much of 28273 and 28278 as "the Steele Creek area." That would probably be a good place to look for a decent commute to Water Ridge Parkway at not crazy high rental rates.
In the spirit of confusion. . .don't forget that your map shows the city of Belmont, but there's also a neighborhood in Charlotte called Belmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte