Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2017, 01:36 PM

162 posts, read 178,809 times

Advertisements

We're thinking about getting a new car and wondered if anyone has any experience with car buying services such as those offered to members of AAA, Bjs, Costco, etc. We also have Allstate insurance and they apparently also offer this kind of service.

I'm not crazy about the long, drawn-out, head games that go on when I've bought cars directly from the dealer, and am hoping to avoid this BS and get a better price. Anyone have any suggestions or cautionary tales?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 01:38 PM

3,364 posts, read 9,994,969 times
Not used any of those, but I have used true car and it was painless.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:13 PM

751 posts, read 926,002 times
Do your research up front. Edmunds has a wealth of information.

I'm guessing you know at least what type of vehicle you want (small sedan, large SUV, etc). Search Edmunds reviews for different makes/models for that type of vehicle. Their reviews are all standardized, so it's the same format for each make/model...making comparing much easier.

Once you've narrowed it down to 4-6 vehicles that are contenders, then re-read the reviews for options that those make/models come with and determine what's important to you. Nowadays, most options come in packages which gives you unnecessary options packaged in...but also makes the process easier with less things you have to decide on.

Then for each make/model, Edmunds has a "True Market Value" valuation whereby you select your year/make/model & options and it'll spit out Invoice price (price dealer pays), MSRP (sticker price) and "TMV" which is the average price people pay. I usually spec up at least one TMV for each make/model I plan on test driving. When I'm ready to buy, I just show them the printout and say I don't play games and want to pay xx hundred under the TMV price on the printout.

The only other thing you'll run up against is that some dealers won't have the exact options you want. TMV makes that easy too, by letting you see the incremental cost for certain options. (ie: even if you don't want a moonroof, spec it out in TMV and write down how much you should pay for one).

They have an app too so you can do it in real time at the dealership, but then you're dependent on cell reception at the dealership for it to work.

If you have a trade-in, make sure you do similar homework for the value of your vehicle beforehand. Typically they're pretty good about giving you the purchase price you want and then low-balling you for your trade-in.

If you want to get really fancy, once you've negotiated everything, try and get them to take $1,000 off both the purchase price & trade-in. It's the same net $$ to them, but you'll save $1,000 in sales taxes, which is $60.

When it comes to financing...don't buy anything from them. Gap insurance is about the only thing you might want to consider...everything else is a rip-off. Gap insurance is also not cost-effective but gives you peace of mind that you won't need to come up with a lump sum of cash if you completely total your vehicle and owe more on the loan than the car is worth. They will try and sell you extended warranties, scratch guard, etc...it's all overpriced.

Also if you get financing through the dealer, don't let them negotiate with you on "monthly payment". Tell them the amount of months you want to pay the loan back and then say you want the lowest rate. When they offer you a rate, ask them if that's the "buy rate" and if not, push back on the rate saying you wanted something lower.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:18 PM

Great info UDcc123. Thanks!

Thanks, Flyingscotsman, for sharing your experience with true car.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:04 PM

298 posts, read 625,722 times
I have used Costco in another state. It was easy and great prices.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:33 AM

137 posts, read 248,487 times
USAA Buying Service is very good, but you have to be a mbr.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:40 AM

15,127 posts, read 27,647,170 times
Here's the Automotive forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/automotive/

Old 05-08-2017, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the link and experiences with USAA and Costco!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte