Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,322 times

Advertisements

I am living in New York with my wife and 2 kids 5th and 6th graders. I want to relocate to charlotte and I was wondering about the schools and how the work market is. I am looking to buy an existing business and start over. The most important things to me are the schools and the neighborhoods. We are in our late 30s. We are use to having great schools so that's what I am mainly looking for as well as a nice development to buy a home.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:37 PM

56 posts, read 221,238 times
Default NY'er to NY'er

For what your family is looking for i would suggest Union County, NC or Fort Mill, SC which is just acroos the border.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:38 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
Ny you might want to try Waxhaw, Marvin Weddington Area...

u can go to greatschools.net

you can check out parent reviews which are very important as well as scores..now keep in Mind alot of our schools here are brand new..

for your children you will need elem and middle with your 5th grader graduating and next year going into middle:

Marvin Ridge Middle
Weddington Middle

(There will be a new Middle School on Cumberthson Rd) sp?? and Lawson and other developments will go there in 2009...however No one knows yet which developments will make up those schools there will be 3 Schools...there was going to be 2 elem but they did away with 1 so from what my friends tell me who will be going to those schools they arent sure yet...

Elem,

Rea View is brand new just opened Aug..very very happy so far for us
Sandy Ridge
Marvin
New Town
Wesley Chapel
Weddington
Kensington
Rocky River (I think that is the one)

Good Luck

Old 09-18-2007, 08:14 AM

3 posts, read 5,918 times
The suggestions you have received are good suggestions but another one would be Cabarrus County -- Very good neighborhoods and great school district. One of the up and coming family oriented neighborhoods are locatated in the Harrisburg area. Good Luck to you.

Last edited by mm34b; 09-18-2007 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: Edited to comply with City-Data's Terms of Service

Old 09-18-2007, 08:49 AM

58 posts, read 129,552 times
You really should consider staying in New York. I run into people everyday who regret moving to this region, but now they're stuck. Once you give up what you have in New York, it's very hard to go back. Like a lot of people, you're probably figuring that you're not going to miss a lot of the things you have where you are now, and that nothing could be more rewarding than being able to save some serious money. Yes, you will save some money. You will also give up a lot and outside of a nice house to live in you will not get much in return.

I hear it from people everyday, and I feel for my fellow New Yorkers, because like I said, once you leave it's VERY hard to turn around and go back, and you WILL want to go back. I'm here part time until March due to a business project. I would NEVER recommend living here to anyone from New York or New Jersey. Unfortunately, for a lot of people it takes leaving and giving everything up before they realize how much they already have.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:53 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets_Go_Mets View Post
You really should consider staying in New York. I run into people everyday who regret moving to this region, but now they're stuck. Once you give up what you have in New York, it's very hard to go back. Like a lot of people, you're probably figuring that you're not going to miss a lot of the things you have where you are now, and that nothing could be more rewarding than being able to save some serious money. Yes, you will save some money. You will also give up a lot and outside of a nice house to live in you will not get much in return.

I hear it from people everyday, and I feel for my fellow New Yorkers, because like I said, once you leave it's VERY hard to turn around and go back, and you WILL want to go back. I'm here part time until March due to a business project. I would NEVER recommend living here to anyone from New York or New Jersey. Unfortunately, for a lot of people it takes leaving and giving everything up before they realize how much they already have.
That is YOUR experience, and I am really sorry for it. However, while this does occur for some people, I believe the vast majority who come here from the northeast would never go back. Take a poll if you don't believe me

Old 09-18-2007, 08:56 AM

58 posts, read 129,552 times
It's not MY experience.
I didn't actually relocate here.
I already said that this is based on people I talk to in business everyday who DID relocate to this area.

A poll on a website would prove nothing. Go out and talk to people. The results would surprise you.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:05 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
well Mets I must say, I am from Ny as well and I have encountered a tremendous amount of people who do love it here...and those who dont well im sure they have their reasons...Not everyone CAN stay in NY or NJ or Ct or anywhere else financially, I would never tell someone to MOVE or NOT move here...Just give them facts point them in the right direction...We LOVE it here my friends from brooklyn love it here, and there are plenty more where they came from...Not EVERYONE can adapt and get out of their comfort zone....and not all NYkers are going to be happy, because honestly MOST people move here just for financial reasons and well that isnt going to make u happy...The weather is incredible here, besides the lack of rain...People are very nice and welcoming, Schools at least where we live are excellent, and Food shopping will cost you a fortune no doubt, however If your looking for a LIFE CHANGE....then you should do your due diligence and do your homework...Make trips down here for yourself, visit a few different areas that you might be interested in...and well I do talk to TONS of people as im also very active in dd's school and honestly Most of them would NEVER go back to the Northeast...Your always going to find people that arent happy no matter where you go...ITS what you make out of it...

Old 09-18-2007, 10:22 AM

170 posts, read 644,154 times
Hi nyrelocate...

Are you set on the Charlotte area? Have you considered north of Charlotte, the Lake Norman area?

I'm biased, I live here, I know. I choose to live here when I moved...but it's great, the schools are great too...

It's a great place to live!

Last edited by mm34b; 09-18-2007 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: Edited to comply with the Terms of Service - Realty

Old 09-19-2007, 08:38 AM

15 posts, read 59,462 times
I moved down to Charlotte about 6 years ago from up north. Would NOT go back up there! Now that my children are getting older I am facing the stresses of finding and getting them into good schools. I have no regrets moving south...I would just suggest looking into the school district prior to buying anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte