Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 07:15 PM

179 posts, read 582,697 times

Advertisements

Hi,
After reading endless posts of builder complaints and shortcomings, for just about every builder, I wonder ?? Has anyone had a home built where the builder used quality materials, exterior sheathing, insulation between the exterior sheathing and the drywall ? For that matter, does anyone know what code is for drywall down there, is it 1/2", or can they use 3/8" to cut costs. Having been around the building trades all my life, I have tons of other questions after reading the postings here. I did look at a few homes under construction when we were down in October, and the foundation system they use down there is like nothing I've seen before here in Connecticut. That's not to say it's bad, or inferior, just very different. So again, has anyone had a builder they know gave them a quality built home ? While we want a couple of acres if possible, we're not looking for a huge home. We are retiring and therefore down sizing, so I'm not looking for more sq/ft for the dollar, but higher quality. As of now, we are kind of set on Union or possibly Cabarrus counties. If anyone feels more comfortable discussing this privately, please feel free to either send a private message, or EMAIL me.

Thanks, Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 07:19 PM

140 posts, read 590,226 times
I am not sure, but you may want to check with a custom home builder instead of the production builders. it seems like they would be more willing to discuss variations in building methods, code and building above code or even to hwhat you would want.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:43 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,294 times
As already stated, go with a custom home builder. You'll see much better quality. Interestingly, we purchased a 3-year-old resale. Our subdivision was built by a custom home builder, who lives in this subdivision. Guess he's not worried about any dissatisfied customers!

Sincerely,

Sara

Old 12-04-2006, 07:44 PM

414 posts, read 1,380,853 times
I agree with robretpd,

You have to go custom builder. I was thinking about his idea but even about a 2000sq house custom is going to take you at least to 350k-400k. If money is no object than i would go that way.

Last edited by TBLTZ; 12-04-2006 at 08:00 PM..

Old 12-04-2006, 07:47 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,833,378 times
The problem is finding a decent lot that is not going ot require you to use a certain builder....

Old 12-04-2006, 11:17 PM

259 posts, read 1,181,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billjr View Post
Hi,
After reading endless posts of builder complaints and shortcomings, for just about every builder, I wonder ?? Has anyone had a home built where the builder used quality materials, exterior sheathing, insulation between the exterior sheathing and the drywall ? For that matter, does anyone know what code is for drywall down there, is it 1/2", or can they use 3/8" to cut costs. Having been around the building trades all my life, I have tons of other questions after reading the postings here. I did look at a few homes under construction when we were down in October, and the foundation system they use down there is like nothing I've seen before here in Connecticut. That's not to say it's bad, or inferior, just very different. So again, has anyone had a builder they know gave them a quality built home ? While we want a couple of acres if possible, we're not looking for a huge home. We are retiring and therefore down sizing, so I'm not looking for more sq/ft for the dollar, but higher quality. As of now, we are kind of set on Union or possibly Cabarrus counties. If anyone feels more comfortable discussing this privately, please feel free to either send a private message, or EMAIL me.

Thanks, Bill
I would have a hard time believing even the cheapest builders are NOT insulating between sheathing and drywall. I mean, its been stadard practice for over half a century. My home is 35 years old and at least has R-11 fiberglass insulation on all exterior walls (none interior though- I added it to some walls during renovation). R-13 (the higher the better) is about the lowest most builder would use these days. The newer a home is the more efficient it should be, thats at least one area where things have IMPROVED over the years.
Now sheathing is another thing, because some builders dont even want to fork out money for OSB (oriented strand board) anymore than they have to.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:58 PM

Sara,
First, I got my relocation guide today that you told me about, and it is excellent. I know you've mentioned the general area of Monroe that you ended up buying in, you did say it was all 1 acre right ? Would you know if the builder that did your sub division has anything similar in the works, and would you mind mentioning his name ? BTW, does your development have city water and/or sewer, or well and septic ?

CharlotteAgent,
How big a problem do you think that will be to find 1-2 acres (preferably 2) in Union county ? Would I be any better off looking in Cabarrus county ? I'm kind of favoring, Harrisburg, Monroe, or Waxhaw. What do you think of Concord, is that as rural (which is what we're looking for) as say Monroe ?

fromcenFL,
I agree, and while I don't believe everything I read here, I have read more than once of no wall insulation. I'm hoping I misunderstood, but it will be something I make sure of before I sign anything.

Thanks to all of you, Bill

Old 12-05-2006, 07:10 PM

I would think maybe Mt Pleasant or Albermarle. This way you could enjoy country living for a few years. Of course if you enjoy being in the middle of it all then Concord etc would be my next choice.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:46 PM

CharlotteAgent,
By saying "for a few years" does that mean that after that, we will likely be in the middle of a somewhat densely populated area ? We don't necessarily want to be isolated out in the boonies, just not surrounded by large sub divisions on small lots. To give you an idea of a location that would appeal to us, we seen some really nice ranch homes in Harrisburg in the area of Flowes Store Rd and Rocky River Road if you're familiar with that area. They were on individual lots, 2 acres or so I would guess, I'm just not sure how busy a road like that would be to live on. It did have a nice open feel to it though. I guess the best way to put it, is no, we don't want to be "in the middle of it all".

Bill

Old 12-06-2006, 05:54 PM

Yes I would say in a few years that you would be in a densely populated area. I know exactly where you are talking about. The trick would be to get into one of those nice neighborhoods where at least when you are at home you will feel like your 30 mins away from it all....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte