Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times

Advertisements

Are people allowed to hang out in CLT overnight if they land at 9 PM and have a flight out at 6 AM? Or do people get kicked out of the airport when it's late at night? Do we HAVE to get hotel rooms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 07:57 AM

821 posts, read 1,853,696 times
If you have a layover, there's nothing that says you have to leave the airport. The food court has rocking chairs galore, so just hangout. You have a valid ticket that allows you to be there to wait for your flight to be called. Having been stuck in an airport overnight and sleeping on the uncomfortable chairs, the rocking chairs will be a great way to save your back. You might be asked to move to one of the benches outside the security area, but once you are in the security area, I believe the issue is moot.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:03 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
I've been in and out of CLT at all kinds of hours over the years so I guess one probably could stay in the airport overnight. However, especially with the way airport security is these days, I do not know what security would make of a few people camped out in an otherwise empty terminal when there are no actual flight delays. Be aware that nothing will be open during the wee hours and security checkpoints are not 24/7.

That said, I don't know why any sane person would want to voluntarily spend the night in an airport rather than in a comfy hotel room.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I've been in and out of CLT at all kinds of hours over the years so I guess one probably could stay in the airport overnight. However, especially with the way airport security is these days, I do not know what security would make of a few people camped out in an otherwise empty terminal when there are no actual flight delays. Be aware that nothing will be open during the wee hours and security checkpoints are not 24/7.

That said, I don't know why any sane person would want to voluntarily spend the night in an airport rather than in a comfy hotel room.
I've flown into Charlotte around midnight several times and the place is dead! Fellow passengers and I had trouble finding our way out (arrived on an internal flight) and discovered the only way to get out of the air side was through the secuirty check area (which wasn't operating).
It's not like JFK or O'Hare etc where you can always get refreshments.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:10 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
I agree, but by the time you subtract time for exit, travel, and entry, there's only a few hours left between landing and taking off. Add in travel and room costs, and it might not be worth it.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
There are several good hotels right outside the entrance to the airport at Exit 32 on I-85, a no brainer. They have shuttles to take you back and forth to the departure gates etc. Sleeping in an airport is about the worst experience. The lights are on all night long, the cleaning people are there all night vacuuming, talking, yada yada .... been there done that, got stuck at a few airports over the years. You will not sleep a wink, don't even try.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
There are several good hotels right outside the entrance to the airport at Exit 32 on I-85, a no brainer. They have shuttles to take you back and forth to the departure gates etc. Sleeping in an airport is about the worst experience. The lights are on all night long, the cleaning people are there all night vacuuming, talking, yada yada .... been there done that, got stuck at a few airports over the years. You will not sleep a wink, don't even try.
Well not sure what time the cleaning crews start/finish but there was no sign of them around midnight and the lights were all turned down low in the food court area.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:05 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,016,782 times
Quote:
Let's see, could it be . . . money?

Old 01-05-2012, 09:29 AM

277 posts, read 660,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
I've flown into Charlotte around midnight several times and the place is dead! Fellow passengers and I had trouble finding our way out (arrived on an internal flight) and discovered the only way to get out of the air side was through the secuirty check area (which wasn't operating).
It's not like JFK or O'Hare etc where you can always get refreshments.
^ Good information.

TSA is gone after the last departing flight, which is typically around 10:45 pm. They lock down the security checkpoints, and airport security has to unlock a security gate to allow passengers on late arrivals to get out.

Quite sure you can't overnight on the concourse side (restaurant/rocking chairs).

Common areas in upper level ticketing and lower level baggage areas should be OK for an overnighter...cleaning crews don't seem to care, and I've often seen overnighters camped out on the floor near the JetBlue/US Air baggage areas. Don't expect any rocking chairs or food.

TSA reopens at somewhere around 5:00 or 5:30 to accommodate 6:00 am departures.

Good luck!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:47 AM

564 posts, read 1,453,511 times
You may be able to stay longer if you want!

Tom Hanks - The Terminal - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: