Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:34 PM

7 posts, read 8,010 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have been doing a lot of research on Charlotte for a while now and on paper it seems to be the happy medium I want in a city to start planting roots. I'm a single mom of one with a 5yr old little one. I wanted to know some suggestions on neighborhoods for young professionals or young families. I'm looking to rent first until I get more acquainted with the city. Any suggestions will be helpful. I'm in my late 20's if that's at all helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 11:02 PM

170 posts, read 275,990 times
It depends on your budget but considering you have a 5 year old i'm sure good schools will be a top priority. Having schools in mind i'd recommend either Fort Mill (SC) or Cornelius/Davidson. Mooresville could be fine as well it's just a little further out.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:40 AM

Default Thank you

Okay I'm not sure if I want to be in South Carolina. I'm a counselor so I have to make sure that I can be liscensed there. My budget for a house is around 150,000 it will be a starter home so something comfortable to doesn't have to be super fancy as long as the area is safe and the schools are good. For rent I'm trying to stay around $900 preferably less.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:53 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,402,909 times
Very low budget for Charlotte. Look in Gastonia, Belmont, maybe Concord.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:59 AM

869 posts, read 1,791,716 times
We moved here from Tn last fall. Don't know what part of TN you're coming from, but be ready for higher housing costs. Fort Mill and Indian Land in SC are really just southern suburbs of Charlotte and cost of living can be much lower in Indian Land. Fort Mill cost of living is still pretty expensive. $900/month rent won't go very far.

Your best bet is to find your employment first, then look for your housing in the area that's convenient to where you'll work

Old 06-13-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
We moved here from Tn last fall. Don't know what part of TN you're coming from, but be ready for higher housing costs. Fort Mill and Indian Land in SC are really just southern suburbs of Charlotte and cost of living can be much lower in Indian Land. Fort Mill cost of living is still pretty expensive. $900/month rent won't go very far.

Your best bet is to find your employment first, then look for your housing in the area that's convenient to where you'll work
I'm coming from Knoxville and I'm looking to transfer with my company. I was sticking close to 900 because I'm not sure how much they will go up on my pay with the transfer, so my budget could potentially be higher. Hopefully they take that into consideration..

Old 06-13-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Very low budget for Charlotte. Look in Gastonia, Belmont, maybe Concord.
I have heard Gastonia and concord were good to get a better bang for your buck. Are those considered the more rural areas. I'm fine with that if it is as long as I have access to more activities with a little drive.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srshay View Post
I'm coming from Knoxville and I'm looking to transfer with my company. I was sticking close to 900 because I'm not sure how much they will go up on my pay with the transfer, so my budget could potentially be higher. Hopefully they take that into consideration..
Just be aware that, at least according to one website I just checked, the cost of living in Charlotte is almost 20% higher than Knoxville, primarily due to to housing costs, which are 44% higher.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srshay View Post
I have heard Gastonia and concord were good to get a better bang for your buck. Are those considered the more rural areas. I'm fine with that if it is as long as I have access to more activities with a little drive.
They're not rural, their just smaller cities that are effectively suburbs of Charlotte. They still have amenities of their own like shopping, restaurants, museums, etc.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:34 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,720,911 times
You might be able to find a small condo in Steele Creek or Pineville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte