U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2017, 06:00 PM

5,997 posts, read 4,249,272 times

Advertisements

I hope y'all are fans of superstreets, because they're coming.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=13983

Quote:
CHARLOTTE – Several intersections along U.S. 74 in Indian Trail will undergo some changes as part of a $9.5 million project that will get underway tonight, June 20, weather permitting.

The project includes converting four full-movement, signalized intersections to superstreets, a type of intersection where side-street traffic is redirected from going straight through or left at a divided highway intersection.

Instead, all side- street traffic must turn right, but can then safely access a U-turn to proceed in the desired direction. This design improves safety by reducing the chance for intersection crashes, and decreases travel time because of simplified traffic signal timing.

The intersections are located along U.S. 74 at Wesley Chapel-Stouts Road/Sardis Church Road, Faith Church Road, Unionville-Indian Trail Road, and Indian Trail/Indian Trail-Fairview Road.

The contractor, Sealand Contractors Corp., will be permitted to close lanes on U.S. 74 between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. The contract will also restrict lane closures during holidays and special events in Charlotte that may generate heavier traffic.

The project is scheduled for completion in November 2018.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 10:40 PM

931 posts, read 1,935,522 times
I wouldn't call this improvements.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:09 AM

23,519 posts, read 29,383,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I hope y'all are fans of superstreets, because they're coming.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=13983
Sounds like a variant of a jughandle.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:18 AM

5,997 posts, read 4,249,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Here's an illustration of a typical superstreet:

It's been done to NC-55 Bypass in Holly Springs and it drew some mixed reactions from the residents. I'm surprised NCDOT is doing anything with that stretch of US-74. I figured they would leave it as it is to encourage shunpikers to take the tolled Monroe Bypass (once it opens).

Old 06-22-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:

It's been done to NC-55 Bypass in Holly Springs and it drew some mixed reactions from the residents. I'm surprised NCDOT is doing anything with that stretch of US-74. I figured they would leave it as it is to encourage shunpikers to take the tolled Monroe Bypass (once it opens).
Looks like a weird variant of a jughandle, where left hand turns are funneled to one major crossing, from the right. The closest thing to a jughandle that I've seen around here is in Shelby, where a service road can be driven, next to 74, & traffic light crossovers are interspersed.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:21 AM

625 posts, read 282,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Having lived in NJ I was about to say the same thing.
It does make waits at traffic lights much shorter since you're not sitting around waiting for turn signals, and essentially 4 light changes / transitions.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCoqui View Post
Having lived in NJ I was about to say the same thing.
It does make waits at traffic lights much shorter since you're not sitting around waiting for turn signals, and essentially 4 light changes / transitions.
I've said it repeatedly in threads concerning traffic circles, I'd rather see jughandles. I'm used to divided highways with cut-throughs, but when traffic reaches a certain level, the jughandles prevent random fools from darting out into traffic when they should stay in the cut-through.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:38 AM

1,742 posts, read 1,385,299 times
With traffic moving at 70 mph, having people try to pull out from minor cross streets across four lanes of traffic is a source of lots of car accidents along 74. Now if people due their u-turns at 4 mph it might still be dangerous, but at least they can see on-coming traffic easier and only have to deal with one direction of travel on a busy highway.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:08 AM

13,052 posts, read 10,156,294 times
Quote:

This looks like a terrible idea. I can see a lot of accidents due to people slowly pulling out and cutting traffic off to get into the left lane.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:23 AM

392 posts, read 869,472 times
Should be interesting to see all the trucks from the HT distribution center trying to make uturns on 74. Hope they make really wide uturn lanes. I also chuckle at the description above that says "minor traffic". I don't think many of us would call the traffic that currently crosses or turns left at any of these intersections "minor".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or