Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 09:43 AM

19 posts, read 23,097 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am from NJ and interested in moving to NC within the next 2 years. I am vacationing in SC in 2 weeks but the boyfriend and I are driving through areas of NC to get a feel of which area we would like to relocate.
We will be driving through Charlotte area and possibly staying in a hotel for a night in the area. That being said-- any suggestions or tips of things to see to help me decide if Charlotte is a good area for us or to get the best feel of Charlotte?? or just any suggestions of areas that would be good for us?

About me (if you need it):
RN with 3 years floor nursing experience. boyfriend is going to trade school to become a welder. from small town NJ (farm country) with virtually no crime and not too much commotion. Boyfriend and I are very outdoorsy (camping, backpacking, biking, hiking). I Currently make approx. 40$ an hour (I know I wont make nearly that much;but, as long as the cost-living ratio is less Ill be ok) and pay about 1200$ a month in rent (utilities not included, 1 bd/1bth). Just so you have an idea where I'm coming from. Liberal in political view but I am not one to talk about my opinions publically and I currently live in a very conservative area (thanks Christie!) and am able to get by. Looking to rent at first but eventually settle down buy a house and have kids. Looking more for suburbs of the city (as the city scene is not us at all) . I have raynauds; so, We are looking for somewhere warmer with a longer "warm" season so we can do more outdoorsy things longer. thanks ya'll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 09:56 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,129,483 times
Asheville, NC would be a perfect fit for you. Approx 2 hours west of Charlotte. Very liberal city. Overall really nice mountain town, yet touristy enough to have plenty of amenities to keep everyone happy. Plenty of camping, biking and hiking trails. May be worth checking out. My friends daughter is living in a nice apt with a beautiful mountain view for about 1k a month. Yes, there will be a difference in climate as they see more snow up there. But nothing like what people up north are use to. The payoff in the heat of summer is that it won't be quite a stuffy and humid as Charlotte. Just a suggestion. Personally, if I could move anywhere in NC now, it would be Asheville.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:07 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,719,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlynn5 View Post
Hello,
I am from NJ and interested in moving to NC within the next 2 years. I am vacationing in SC in 2 weeks but the boyfriend and I are driving through areas of NC to get a feel of which area we would like to relocate.
We will be driving through Charlotte area and possibly staying in a hotel for a night in the area. That being said-- any suggestions or tips of things to see to help me decide if Charlotte is a good area for us or to get the best feel of Charlotte?? or just any suggestions of areas that would be good for us?

About me (if you need it):
RN with 3 years floor nursing experience. boyfriend is going to trade school to become a welder. from small town NJ (farm country) with virtually no crime and not too much commotion. Boyfriend and I are very outdoorsy (camping, backpacking, biking, hiking). I Currently make approx. 40$ an hour (I know I wont make nearly that much;but, as long as the cost-living ratio is less Ill be ok) and pay about 1200$ a month in rent (utilities not included, 1 bd/1bth). Just so you have an idea where I'm coming from. Liberal in political view but I am not one to talk about my opinions publically and I currently live in a very conservative area (thanks Christie!) and am able to get by. Looking to rent at first but eventually settle down buy a house and have kids. Looking more for suburbs of the city (as the city scene is not us at all) . I have raynauds; so, We are looking for somewhere warmer with a longer "warm" season so we can do more outdoorsy things longer. thanks ya'll.
Look at Kings Mountain. You'd be near several hospitals & at least 3 hospices. There are usually multiple openings for welders at several companies. There is a city-owned trail that will eventually connect to some other trails.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:41 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,710,152 times
The northern tip of the metro area, Mooresville could be a good option, due to the lake and proximity to the mountains. Gaston County would be a good option as well, with good employment in your respective fields, affordable cost of living, and good access to local hiking / camping, as well as closest proximity to the mountains in the Charlotte metro.

The eastern and southern portions of the Charlotte metro will be flatter and the southern portion will be more expensive and not have as much employment in welding.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:40 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,356,474 times
If you're trying to do hiking/outdoor activities on your way through, check out the Whitewater Center. That and Crowders Mountain a little further out are 2 of the more popular outdoor activities in the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte