Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 05:18 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,708,759 times

Advertisements

Nice update today in the Business Journal about the two live music venues, The Fillmore and The Uptown Amphitheatre. Both are set to open in June, and both will be managed by Live Nation.

Article: http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2009/04/13/story2.html?b=1239595200^1809061
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 04:30 PM

5,253 posts, read 5,161,476 times
I believe this place will do well eventually, when they get the condos and office space built up around it...there is a great thread on urbanplanet's Charlotte page about everything going into it...I hope they do set up some sort of party bus or something to go from Uptown to the NCMF b/c it is hard to get to, but I am glad for once, they are preserving an old building near Uptown and turning it into a cool place to go to.
BTW, the G & G Club is awesome, and it's true, no haters allowed...it's an awesome place.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:18 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,824,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I believe this place will do well eventually, when they get the condos and office space built up around it...there is a great thread on urbanplanet's Charlotte page about everything going into it...I hope they do set up some sort of party bus or something to go from Uptown to the NCMF b/c it is hard to get to, but I am glad for once, they are preserving an old building near Uptown and turning it into a cool place to go to.
BTW, the G & G Club is awesome, and it's true, no haters allowed...it's an awesome place.
I hope that they do something about the walkability from uptown to there. I hope they start shuttles, build a walkway or something. i love the place but it is somewhat remote. Hope they can link it up and make it walkable or more easily accessible. The only people to know about it now are those that have inside info or guests of those that have inside info. I really want to see the place grow and prosper.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:46 PM

Found this map of the venues online...

So this is the big weekend of the amphitheater opening! There was a nice article from the Observer this past Sunday on the whole complex. Having a Fillmore and a Butter should be nice. Anybody going to see The Fray Saturday night? If so, please tell me how the traffic over there is, LOL!!!

Article: New uptown entertainment complex takes next big step | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/166/story/767387.html - broken link)

Last edited by Carolina Blue; 06-08-2009 at 05:50 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 11:28 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,641,768 times
Per the article in the Observer last Sunday - the size of the amphitheater looks to be a bit smaller than the picture above. According to that article, the lawn capacity will be 3,000, not 3500.

The Filmore is supposed to have a capacity of 2000.

I think this will bring a lot more bands through the area - as right now we only have the halls that hold up to about 1000 or so, and then the arena and VZW Amphitheater which are closer to 20k capacity. A lot of bands these days can sell more than 1000 tix, but not near enough to justify the bump up to the big venues.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:46 AM

5,253 posts, read 5,161,476 times
If you've been to Charleston or Savannah, you've probably been to Wet Willies...that's going to be a great addition to the party scene when it opens...

It's great to see 2 local guys putting their own money into this....please try and visit it when more things open up....this will hopefully succeed....

Old 06-09-2009, 12:08 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,426,303 times
If we can't get a House of Blues, I guess this will be the next best thing. As Tober said, some bands tour only a specific niche of a market...the 2000-5000 seat places. A good example is Joe Satriani. He typically only tours HOB's and small intimate venues. We had to drive to Durham to see him at the Carolina Theater last fall for his tour. Now, he's coming to the Music Factory as part of Chickenfoot in August.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:26 PM

WBTV showed a story today about an "authentic dinner" some guys from New Jersey are putting there. Here's a link to the video...

Video Link: Video - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-

And on the latest episode of The Next Food Network Star, they are at the original Butter in New York. The show comes on a few more times this week before the next new episode if anyone wants to watch. Pretty cool looking place...

Old 06-11-2009, 10:45 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,641,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
If we can't get a House of Blues, I guess this will be the next best thing. As Tober said, some bands tour only a specific niche of a market...the 2000-5000 seat places. A good example is Joe Satriani. He typically only tours HOB's and small intimate venues. We had to drive to Durham to see him at the Carolina Theater last fall for his tour. Now, he's coming to the Music Factory as part of Chickenfoot in August.
I wish we could get a HOB venue. If only because I can get 2-for-1 tix for HOB shows and get Foundation Room access

Metallisteve is right - a LOT of acts today are in that 1500/2000 - 5000 market; I find that a lot of shows I want to see now require a drive to somewhere outside of Charlotte, primarily because, until now, we haven't had a venue the right size to accommodate those bands.

Here's is the current schedule for the venues in case anyone is interested:

Uptown Amphitheatre:

June 13: The Fray w/ Jack's Mannequin
July 14: The Offfspring
July 28: Jason Mraz w/ G. Love & Special Sauce
August 21: Counting Crows
August 27: Chickenfoot

Fillmore Charlotte:

June 19: Corey Smith
June 20: Plain White T's
July 24: Govt. Mule
August 11: B-52's
August 21: Honor Society
August 29: Edwin McCain
September 30: The Black Crowes
October 6: B.B. King
October 28: KMFDM

Old 06-11-2009, 11:24 AM

415 posts, read 1,141,917 times
Way back in the day, Charlotte had an outstanding concert venue in PB Scott's Music Hall. Probably the best live venue I've ever been to, and saw some great acts there - Stevie Ray Vaughan, BB King, Ramsey Lewis, etc. Seated about 1800 or so, had a terrific stage and sound system, designed for sound, and the farthest seat from the stage was less than 100 ft. Unfortunately, the venue was poorly run, and at that time (early '80's) Charlotte wasn't really big enough to support it.

It was a very sad day when it closed, and became a disco, of all places. I think that the building is now occupied by a "gentlemans club".

It sounds like the Fillmore will, at long last, replace that niche, and I am looking forward to seeing some great shows there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte