Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 10:21 PM

6 posts, read 10,531 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone,
Im moving into the area and have a place to settle down in the Derita-Statesville area off West Sugar Creek Rd.
Looking at all the crime statistics available on the internet, it doesnt seem like the best part of Charlotte. On the other hand, a real estate agent I talk to says that he looks at that area as an "up and coming" part of Charlotte.
The house is new and cheap, but if its dangerous for my family, I would stay away.
From the opinion of someone living in Charlotte, is that area a "stay away" neighborhood? Or is it just not as "fancy" (and therefore expensive) like other parts of Charlotte.
Thanks everyone!

Old 08-28-2017, 10:28 PM

5 posts, read 9,091 times
Do you have kids ??

Old 08-28-2017, 10:41 PM

Yes, a newborn so still a few years off from school.
When that time comes, were even looking at magnet schools to avoid the school district, but there is no guarantee with that I guess

Old 08-29-2017, 09:41 AM

97 posts, read 141,968 times
It's a rough area, I wouldn't want a newborn growing up there.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:19 AM

Thanks for that feedback.
Can you expound a little?

Old 08-29-2017, 10:28 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
We moved from an area close to that more than 40 years ago. Charlotte city council moved welfare people into our middle class neighborhood through something called the 235 plan during the Jimmy Carter administration. People paying full price for five bedroom split levels were living beside those the city moved in paying $80 per month for the same size homes. We tried to stay and help the neighborhood be successful but when there had been 7 murders and all the other crimes that go with an area like that within a year we finally sold our home at about a $9,000 loss and moved. No the area is not safe. I see streets I recognize from living in the area on the news a lot.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:25 AM

So is "up and coming" more a spin on the reality by my real estate agent? Or does this just require an open mind?

Old 08-29-2017, 11:47 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,183,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tutorenglish100 View Post
So is "up and coming" more a spin on the reality by my real estate agent? Or does this just require an open mind?
More of an open mind and a Kevlar vest are required for that neighborhood.

Get yourself a new real estate agent.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:18 PM

339 posts, read 715,647 times
It is considered up and coming because of the light rail. It is my understanding it will traverse through this area. The light rail has improved things in SouthEnd and so I'm certain that is the expectation for the Sug Creek/Derita area. I used to live in University City and while it wasn't great, I wasn't fearful for my life. That area in general isn't great but sometimes we have to live where we can afford. Assuming it's a rental, you could give it a try for a year and see how you like it. Good luck!

Old 08-29-2017, 12:31 PM

Thanks Megan for your feedback.
From this Real Estate Agent standpoint, its an area that is still affordable. This is actually to buy a property and so far I have found nothing as big, as new and as cheap as this place. So his reasoning is that if they are building up nice, new properties in this area, things are improving. If the light rail is coming in, then it will help as well.
I have always lived in Middle Class neighborhoods where I am from, but I am realistic and open minded when it comes to life in Charlotte. What I am not ok with is dangerous areas where my family would prefer a fortress rather than a single family home.
The person jokingly commented that a Kevlar vest might be needed... Im a 34 year old Middle Class White Man, but I am not the kind of person that sees a young black man walking on the street and thinks I need to lock my doors. So if the Kevlar vest joke was in reference to the racial majority, then its a bad joke. But if that joke was about the overall safety levels, then I get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte