Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 12:07 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times

Advertisements

So the bond has passed. Full list here - http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsbondinfo...ndProjects.pdf

I haven't followed it too closely, what's the biggest news here? I'd guess it might be the 2 new high schools?

I know there has been speculation on here about the location for a new HS in South Charlotte, but I thought that was more based on being in between Ardrey Kell, Providence and I think Butler. The CMS bond says the new school would relieve South Meck, Ardrey Kell, Myers Park, and Olympic (no mention of Providence or Butler). Any speculation where this one might be?

But then there is also going to be another new HS only relieving only Olympic, which according to the Observer will be outside of the Palisades. That seems like an odd location seeing as how it's pretty much a peninsula surrounded by SC, and also somewhat odd that the only 2 brand new HS's in the bond will likely only be about 10 miles apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 12:32 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,699,794 times
The Yes Campaign has some maps - not sure how much we should read into the "Circles" the drew for the newly constructed schools. No clue where they are going to get the land for these.
Overview | Vote Yes for Bonds

A new high school in the southern portion of the Steele Creek area will allow boundaries to be re-drawn to accommodate the future River District. The Palisades and southern portion of Steele Creek (say roughly southwest of Carowinds Blvd) would be closest to a new high school built near the Palisades. The northern half of Steele Creek and the new River District development could then attend Olympic.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:41 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,264,002 times
South Meck (158% building utilization), Ardrey Kell (147%), and Olympic (144%) are the three most overcrowded high schools in CMS and in greatest need of relief.

Steele Creek is one of the fastest growing areas of Mecklenburg County. The fact that it's next to South Carolina should have nothing to do with its need for a new high school.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
South Meck (158% building utilization), Ardrey Kell (147%), and Olympic (144%) are the three most overcrowded high schools in CMS and in greatest need of relief.

Steele Creek is one of the fastest growing areas of Mecklenburg County. The fact that it's next to South Carolina should have nothing to do with its need for a new high school.
I was more kinda just confused by the fact that Olympic (the least overcrowded of the 3 you list) was listed among BOTH new high schools as being relieved. Although on CLT4's link it's only actually listed once.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I was more kinda just confused by the fact that Olympic (the least overcrowded of the 3 you list) was listed among BOTH new high schools as being relieved. Although on CLT4's link it's only actually listed once.
It might be due to uncertainty over where they are able to acquire land for the South Charlotte high school. If they acquired land in the Pineville area for example, it might relieve some of Olympic High. If they acquire land more towards Waverly, it might not relieve Olympic High so much.

I'm not aware of a site CMS owns in South Charlotte that would work currently - I am guessing they have been shopping for land.

They recently entered into contract to buy three lots owned by families in the Steele Creek area for a new elementary school there. As Charlotte builds out and has less vacant lots, CMS might have to buy several properties to piece together enough acreage.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:22 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,260 times
Has CMS ever thought about building a school that only has a basic inside gym and no football field, baseball field or other sports fields? Less land would be needed and the cost of building the school would also decrease. Great way to save tax payers money.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
It might be due to uncertainty over where they are able to acquire land for the South Charlotte high school. If they acquired land in the Pineville area for example, it might relieve some of Olympic High. If they acquire land more towards Waverly, it might not relieve Olympic High so much.

I'm not aware of a site CMS owns in South Charlotte that would work currently - I am guessing they have been shopping for land.

They recently entered into contract to buy three lots owned by families in the Steele Creek area for a new elementary school there. As Charlotte builds out and has less vacant lots, CMS might have to buy several properties to piece together enough acreage.
Got ya.

The Observer said one of the new high schools would be right next to Palisades Park Elementary. So that would pull only from Olympic, correct? Not even taking into consideration the other new high school, is Olympic that overcrowded that it's current enrollment can fill 2 entire high schools (serious question...maybe the answer is yes, I know Olympic is technically already several schools in one)? Or with a reassignment would Olympic end up pulling from Harding, West Meck and/or South Meck?

Old 11-09-2017, 01:50 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,598,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
Has CMS ever thought about building a school that only has a basic inside gym and no football field, baseball field or other sports fields? Less land would be needed and the cost of building the school would also decrease. Great way to save tax payers money.
Northwest School of the Arts is this way. Sports are big for a school so I am not sure any new schools unless an arts/stem type school would be built without the facilities. Imagine if you are in sports, they redraw the lines and now you can't play any longer? That is not fair to the student athletes.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Got ya.

The Observer said one of the new high schools would be right next to Palisades Park Elementary. So that would pull only from Olympic, correct? Not even taking into consideration the other new high school, is Olympic that overcrowded that it's current enrollment can fill 2 entire high schools (serious question...maybe the answer is yes, I know Olympic is technically already several schools in one)? Or with a reassignment would Olympic end up pulling from Harding, West Meck and/or South Meck?
Olympic has about 880 more students than the facility is built to accommodate. It is also the closest high school to the River District so would likely need to absorb those students once construction begins there.

With 2,640 students at Olympic currently in a facility built for 1,800 students, the solution could be to just add additional buildings on the Olympic campus. However I think the district is being pro-active. Looking at enrollment at the Steele Creek area elementary schools, there are 4,260 students or roughly 710 per grade. At a four year high school, once these students are older, CMS is looking at 2,840 students at Olympic High School. This doesn't even include additional growth, including the potential for a few hundred more students to absorb for additional subdivisions being built and the River District.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Northwest School of the Arts is this way. Sports are big for a school so I am not sure any new schools unless an arts/stem type school would be built without the facilities. Imagine if you are in sports, they redraw the lines and now you can't play any longer? That is not fair to the student athletes.
Obviously not ideal for the athletes but I'd think it might be possible to work with the county in order to use an existing park or something as a "home" field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte