U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 05:48 PM

49 posts, read 158,357 times

Advertisements

I bought my house in October and I did get an HVAC service contract with what was supposed to be a reputable contractor. When I had him come in to do my annual A/C service he noted a few things that needed repair and/or attention amongst them was a condensate pump. Since I already had a home warrenty, I thought I could get them to pay for it, but they insisted that they let their own HVAC crew come and check it out. Long story short - they said I needed to have my A/C system replaced and there is no condensate pump in this system. The warranty only covers the replacement and not the modifications necessary to make the replacement work. I am going to be out about $2000. Not a lot considering the replacement cost of an A/C system, but the bottom line here is someone is lying and no matter what I am the loser. I am having the first company come back and either attempt to justify their claim or tell me why the other guy is right. HVAC contractors do not have a good reputation as it is and I don't think either of these guys are helping that any. Does anyone have any ideas or comments of value on my dilemma?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 06:26 PM

35,881 posts, read 72,714,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezadoo View Post
I bought my house in October and I did get an HVAC service contract with what was supposed to be a reputable contractor. When I had him come in to do my annual A/C service he noted a few things that needed repair and/or attention amongst them was a condensate pump. Since I already had a home warrenty, I thought I could get them to pay for it, but they insisted that they let their own HVAC crew come and check it out. Long story short - they said I needed to have my A/C system replaced and there is no condensate pump in this system. The warranty only covers the replacement and not the modifications necessary to make the replacement work. I am going to be out about $2000. Not a lot considering the replacement cost of an A/C system, but the bottom line here is someone is lying and no matter what I am the loser. I am having the first company come back and either attempt to justify their claim or tell me why the other guy is right. HVAC contractors do not have a good reputation as it is and I don't think either of these guys are helping that any. Does anyone have any ideas or comments of value on my dilemma?
Well, here is my story but don't know that it will help you any. Our house had a warranty provided by seller, wh/ covered HVAC. Had problems w/ both heat and a/c. Called the warranty co. 7 times through the first year, trying to get someone to get the problems straightened out. Nickeled and dimed every visit. $120 here . . . $75 there . . . til finally, the warranty ran out . . . and I called an independent contractor who came out and told me what the problem was . . . but I didn't like his prices for replacement . . . so then called Sears . . . they contract their work out . . . so their techs came out and assessed things, basically advised the same thing the first company had said . . . Sears had Carriers on sale . . . got 2 new units at a great price . . . and have had excellent service from Sears since then.

In other words, the home warranty company was worthless; would not approve anything but adjustments and the service calls still had a fee attached . . . and even tho one of their techs flat out told me I needed to replace one unit, the company would not approve it. So there you go. Home warranties are worthless . . . called 5 times on a plumbing issue and once the warranty ran out . . . finally got a "real" plumber in who fixed the problem.

Of course, this is just my personal experience and my opinion based on my experiences, LOL. As far as your situation, if you can bring the unit up to good working order for $2000, that may be fine . . . as long as your unit is not so old that it will have to be replaced entirely in the next few years. If that is the case, I would use the $2000 towards a new unit. (Anything over 17 years old is probably running on borrowed time, IMHO).

Old 03-17-2008, 06:50 PM

11,838 posts, read 27,145,653 times
Our first system lasted 22 years before it died. I had a company come out & try to sell me a 3 ton unit for $10k! Eventually though I just used a friend in my Corvette club who replaced the 1 ton unit at cost. I thought that $1k was a lot more of a bargain than $10k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte