Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 08:15 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times

Advertisements

Despite a constant drumbeat (e.g. "Charlotte's got a lot) from the marketeers that Charlotte employs, the New York Times thought this is why Amazon may have overlooked the Queen City:

"...the winning region will also have the restaurants, outdoor recreation, cultural attractions and general cool of Amazon’s first home, Seattle. Urban economists suggest that such amenities are important to explaining the allure of cities. We asked the economist David Albouy to rank these metro areas for us with an index he uses to measure how much people would be willing to sacrifice, in terms of housing costs and commutes, to live in desirable places. On that basis, we cut Charlotte, N.C., and Indianapolis, because they rank lower on the cultural edginess that attracts young, educated workers."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...l?mcubz=0&_r=0

As much as I love Charlotte, I have to agree with the above conclusions.

My feelings are not the result of N.E. snobbery, as I see Savannah, Charleston, and even Asheville, as "destination spots;" places to spend my recreational time and money. And, even though Greenville is small, there are promising elements and aspects of their downtown that hold promise for tomorrow. Sadly, I don't feel this way about Charlotte, in spite of (sometimes ridiculously exaggerated) marketing schemes that Charlotte employs.

That "people continue to move to Charlotte," does not negate any of my feelings. I'd love to see the City hold back some growth, while working on building quality developments that would build Charlotte's brand, without having to rely upon clever marketing schemes.

Charlotte has a lot of good, but now's the time for the City to truly set itself apart. I truly hope that the upcoming River District fully incorporates the Catawba River into it's final design (in a meaningful way - not a token gesture), along with pedestrian friendly elements along with a fully functioning light rail.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:30 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,064 times
I agree with the sentiments as well. Charlotte is a great place to live, but it is very average. I'm happy here, but when people come to visit us, we don't really have anything their city doesn't - that's what we could benefit from.

As far as HQ2, COL is already on the upswing and I'm glad the chances of Amazon choosing Charlotte are slim-to-none. Although it would be great for the economy down the road (years), lots of us "average" folks would suffer and the suburbs would only spread more and more.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:39 AM

604 posts, read 652,810 times
Agree, while a great place to call it home, not much from a touristic point of view.

Too bad we don't have a water front or anything unique to be a major attraction for tourists. Don't know what we can do about it either.

But I'm happy we dodged the Amazon HQ which would've increased our taxes and make traffic worst. Too big to swallow for our city.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:49 AM

751 posts, read 934,282 times
That article was an outsiders prediction. My understanding is that Amazon hasn't narrowed anything down yet.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:13 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,694,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
But I'm happy we dodged the Amazon HQ which would've increased our taxes and make traffic worst. Too big to swallow for our city.
Amazon hasn't selected the city for HQ2. This is an older NY Times article where they tried to guess where it might end up and they guessed Denver. They got a lot of click and advertising dollars, so they've been running multiple articles where they make a guess. A month after that article, they ran another article and guessed Pittsburgh. Every news site has made a guess ranging from Austin to Denver to Seattle to New York to Boston to Dallas to Atlanta, etc.... nobody knows but Amazon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/26/b...mpetition.html

Old 11-06-2017, 11:42 AM

386 posts, read 366,038 times
Publicly, Amazon has not ruled out Charlotte nor any cities to date. AMZN may not and probably won't select Detroit, but the Motor City's video quality trumps others seen and copied since it was initially put online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO4J_PC1b5M

Charlotte's later distributed HQ2 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s1-0khtLps

As for the prospects of Hockey Town or this Queen City versus other more likely prospects, hmmm ... TBD

Old 11-06-2017, 11:56 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,377,048 times
Umm, no one has won, so how can Charlotte have "lost"?

Old 11-06-2017, 12:57 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Despite a constant drumbeat (e.g. "Charlotte's got a lot) from the marketeers that Charlotte employs, the New York Times thought this is why Amazon may have overlooked the Queen City:

"...the winning region will also have the restaurants, outdoor recreation, cultural attractions and general cool of Amazon’s first home, Seattle. Urban economists suggest that such amenities are important to explaining the allure of cities. We asked the economist David Albouy to rank these metro areas for us with an index he uses to measure how much people would be willing to sacrifice, in terms of housing costs and commutes, to live in desirable places. On that basis, we cut Charlotte, N.C., and Indianapolis, because they rank lower on the cultural edginess that attracts young, educated workers."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...l?mcubz=0&_r=0

As much as I love Charlotte, I have to agree with the above conclusions.

My feelings are not the result of N.E. snobbery, as I see Savannah, Charleston, and even Asheville, as "destination spots;" places to spend my recreational time and money. And, even though Greenville is small, there are promising elements and aspects of their downtown that hold promise for tomorrow. Sadly, I don't feel this way about Charlotte, in spite of (sometimes ridiculously exaggerated) marketing schemes that Charlotte employs.

That "people continue to move to Charlotte," does not negate any of my feelings. I'd love to see the City hold back some growth, while working on building quality developments that would build Charlotte's brand, without having to rely upon clever marketing schemes.

Charlotte has a lot of good, but now's the time for the City to truly set itself apart. I truly hope that the upcoming River District fully incorporates the Catawba River into it's final design (in a meaningful way - not a token gesture), along with pedestrian friendly elements along with a fully functioning light rail.
This is just another newspaper guess. Nobody won or lost yet.

Charlotte needs to work with the outlying areas to build the area's brand. They should look at history to build some things to catch the interest of tourists & residents & Charlotte city officials need to talk to the TV stations & tell them to quit playing favorites with the local areas. When everyone is given the same treatment, it helps the whole area.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:29 PM

645 posts, read 1,068,521 times
"...the winning region will also have the restaurants, outdoor recreation, cultural attractions and general cool of Amazon’s first home, Seattle..."

Charlotte has the requisite attractions in small numbers, no matter how much requisite cool its exurbanites think they think they exude. Charlotte had little to offer 35 years ago. It has even less today.

Traffic and bad drivers aren't cool.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:48 PM

391 posts, read 402,072 times
I am sort of glad that Charlotte isn't on top. I wouldn't want to see Charlotte change its ways (a good mix of city, country, exotic, etc) to accommodate a bunch of northeaster techno snowflakes. We don't need Amazon for greatness. It is coming as projected by economists and according to them, we can expect to be on top in regards to the fastest growing city in the U.S.for the next decade. I expect the city to grow in the correct manner and I do have faith that it will. I too like Greenville, but it is 1/10 the size of Charlotte. And Charlotte has lots going on, but we are so spread out, it is in all over our widespread metro, not just in a 5 block area.

Last edited by Sheriff of London; 11-06-2017 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte