Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 05:44 PM

8 posts, read 7,141 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone who took the time to reply. We just found out my husband's office is located at Eastover Town. Commute time from the Southside looks really long so we are looking to rent in the Northside plus it seems to me we can get a better house for our budget. I read about Cabarrus County schools and so far they are all great. What do you think of Harrisburg, Huntersville, Davidson area??? Neighborhood recommendations??? We are going up this weekend to check houses. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 07:18 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,341,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesol85 View Post
Thank you everyone who took the time to reply. We just found out my husband's office is located at Eastover Town. Commute time from the Southside looks really long so we are looking to rent in the Northside plus it seems to me we can get a better house for our budget. I read about Cabarrus County schools and so far they are all great. What do you think of Harrisburg, Huntersville, Davidson area??? Neighborhood recommendations??? We are going up this weekend to check houses. Thank you!
I'm confused. Eastover is on the south side...

Is the 30 minute commute still a requirement?? If so, you're not making it from anywhere in Cabarrus County to Eastover under 30 minutes at rush hour. Harrisburg and the immediate Highland Creek area in Cabarrus County would be the closest at about 30 minutes if there's absolutely no traffic.

I like Harrisburg. Huntersville and Davidson, while nice towns, are in Mecklenburg County, not Cabarrus if that's what you were implying, although there are a few neighborhoods that have Davidson and Huntersville addresses that are not in Mecklenburg. Probably 45+ minutes at rush hour to Eastover from those areas though. Same with the "real" part of Davidson. The southern part of Huntersville might be in the neighborhood of 30 minutes (still pushing it though) but not all of the achools are the highest rated.

If you can find something in your budget, the area around 51/16 is probably your best bet for highly rated schools and an under 30 minute commute.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:23 PM

8 posts, read 7,141 times
I meant to say Eastway! Sorry my bad...

Old 11-27-2017, 03:07 PM

96 posts, read 84,052 times
I agree go for the south Charlotte area near providence road. Matthews is also not a bad pick, both areas have safe neighborhoods and good schools. Waxhaw is too far out and spread out for anyone who likes to be within a 3-minute drive to grocery stores and gas stations.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:57 PM

751 posts, read 934,488 times
For those that need to Google like I did...Eastway is just NE of Noda.

You'll get rush hour traffic just getting to the highway from anywhere out of Eastway, but after that, SE Charlotte won't have too much traffic...but I think Ballantyne would be stretching your commute time too far past your desired 30 minutes. Think more along the lines of Mint Hill/Matthews...anything off 485 east of the John St exit. The exit after John St is Providence and there's a lot of traffic off that exit.

"A rated schools" (from your OP) is a bit generic. If you mean "good schools", then you'll still be fine in the Mint Hill/Matthews area. Look in the Butler HS/East Meck HS areas to keep the commute under 30 minutes.

Otherwise you're looking at Cotswold/Myers Park areas but that will push your desired $1600 budget.

In terms of North & East Charlotte...I don't know the schools or rent, but it seems like Concord and Huntersville would be within your 30 minute commute times from Eastway.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:09 PM

776 posts, read 1,062,864 times
Quote:

We actually just went under contract on a house in our old section of Highland Creek and could not be happier to be within that commute to downtown again. Even though we wont move back there full time for a little while, when we do it is such a relief not to have to feel the stress of where to look.

Have your agent show you the neighborhoods I mentioned before

Highland Creek (Cabarrus side)
Skybrook (cabarrus side)
Skybrook North Villages
Moss Creek
Cannon Crossing
Winding Walk
Poplar Trails

28269 and 28027 would be worth your time if you want to be on the north side.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:35 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,938,241 times
My daughter just relocated to Charlotte and she is paying almost $1300 for a studio apartment in Noda so unfortunately your $1600 budget may not be realistic for a family of 4. Please also be aware that there are very sketchy areas that surround nice areas. However it seems like a lot of revitalization is going on so hopefully in time that will change.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:53 PM

776 posts, read 1,062,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
My daughter just relocated to Charlotte and she is paying almost $1300 for a studio apartment in Noda so unfortunately your $1600 budget may not be realistic for a family of 4. Please also be aware that there are very sketchy areas that surround nice areas. However it seems like a lot of revitalization is going on so hopefully in time that will change.
this is a common theme every where though. Even my mom back in Rochester MN was complaining about how kids back there cant afford apartments at almost 2K a month for a 2 bedroom. It is all relevant to what and where. I mentioned we are buying a second home there, its over 2000sqft 3 bed plus a loft/bonus room, sun room, formal dining, living room large kitchen etc. with a 2 car garage. But the rental value of a home like that is probably around 1750-1800 a month and the neighborhood has a ton of amenities and yet apartments in the area rent out for 1300 for 2 bedroom 900 sqft .... fo if someone were smart, they would just look around at rental houses. The apartment complexes do a great job selling you less for more. they convince you that less responsibility is worth paying for. So you may have to mow a yard big deal, go rent a house.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:41 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,341,353 times
Quote:
I meant to say Eastway! Sorry my bad...
Got ya. In that case I still think much of Huntersville would be a tough commute to there, except for maybe the SE portion. S/SE Charlotte inside 51 and Matthews could still be options but could be pushing the 30 minutes, as well as Mint Hill as mentioned depending on your school preferences.

Harrisburg and the closer-in parts of Concord such as the area near Highland Creek would be good choices if you liked Cabarrus County. I think I would also recommend checking out some of the neighborhoods along Rocky River Rd - there are a ton, I believe the closer in ones are considered Harrisburg and then Concord as you get further out. There can be traffic on that road but it's a straight shot to the Eastway area, so even somewhere like the Mills at Rocky River should be within 30 minutes. According to realtor.com at least there do appear to be some rental options in those areas within/close to your price range.

Last edited by GoPhils; 11-28-2017 at 06:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte