Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 02:27 PM

547 posts, read 773,603 times

Advertisements

Not sure why someone who hasn’t lived here for years is still commenting using 2-3 yr old data/memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 04:05 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Simple stats say that Days on market went from 27 to about 52. Sounds slower.... I realize that certain price points and certain houses sell faster, but going off averages.... it is a little slower... I wasn't arguing about it, but you keep finding small points I make and nit-picking . I did say it is a dead market, or a bubble.... I just know that back in 2014 the market was so hot that homes (including ours) sold in hours sometimes or at most 3-6 days if it as a stand up home. Back then the average DOM was 27 even though it seemed like they were selling much faster, but again... average.... In todays market that DOM number is much higher.
I realize there are plenty of beaches all up and down the coast, but I was pointing out the popular and obvious choices that someone from anywhere except NC may be familiar with or at least has heard of. And Hilton Head is not 4 hours from Charlotte. Close, about 4.5 on a really good day I mean if we are nit-picking. Wrightsville is 4.5-5 hours, and so is Oak Island.... So none of those sound like 4 hours or less.

And again... none of your "proving me wrong" is helping the OP
Saying the "housing market has slowed" when it might be one of the hottest in the country isn't really a "small point" IMO.

Charlotte Was Just Ranked The Third Best Real Estate Market In America

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...-appreciation/

I'm not sure what you're getting at with the link you posted? There is no prediction for a real estate downturn in Charlotte which is what it seems you are implying (other than in Union County apparently only if interest rates get above 5%), and it specifically claims that Charlotte is not in a bubble or overpriced. I also find it interesting that it calls East Charlotte (with it's not so great crime rates and low rated schools) "low risk" -- although I guess it's low risk because costs are already low; and then goes on to call some of the most expensive zip codes in the metro (Ballantyne, uptown, and South Charlotte) "affordable."

The beach comment was more in reference to your point about them "not being that great" while only pointing out Myrtle Beach which I would disagree with it being the "popular choice" among people in the Charlotte metro. Personally I would actually call some of the ones I listed "great."

Google maps from uptown Charlotte right now:
Isle of Palms: 3 hours, 13 minutes
Oak Island: 3 hours, 38 minutes
Wrightsville Beach: 3 hours, 45 minutes
Hilton Head Island Beach: 3 hours, 53 minutes

Sure there will be some more traffic in the summer, but in most cases not until you get closer so you can certainly drive a little over the speed limit in the early parts of the drive to make up some of that.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:44 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
I realize there are plenty of beaches all up and down the coast, but I was pointing out the popular and obvious choices that someone from anywhere except NC may be familiar with or at least has heard of.
I'm pretty sure Charleston and Hilton Head would also fall into that category. You could also throw in Savannah/Tybee Island, just across the border from Hilton Head.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:46 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
You might want to check on flooding in Nashville. Just search Nashville flood.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...lood&FORM=IGRE

Old 11-20-2017, 04:56 PM

107 posts, read 195,174 times
Is the school system in Tampa, FL actually better than Char-Meck? I’m just asking as I do not know...but surprising if true.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:14 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Not sure what people mean by "culture". I get what culture is but every city/metro has one...it doesn't have to slap you in the face nor tailored to a particular affinity. Two of the most abused terms the seemingly imply better on city forums with regards to rating a place to live are culture and urban.

I also think people like rt are just trying to confirm their decision to leave with asinine rational and misleading stats. It's ok, Charlotte wasn't totally a good fit. Charlotte like any other city has great public schools, private school options and others that need improvement. As a former educator that spent some time teaching in the hood nothing screams success like parental involvement and aptitude. You can't teach/train aptitude and most underperforming schools have solid curriculums, exceptional teachers and specialized academies. The problem with these schools are disciplinary issues (a larger percentage of bad characters) that can drain the soul out of a teacher and administration. In a nutshell, please spare me the lame school excuse as any reason to relocate to anywhere.

If it takes longer than 4 hours to get to either Myrtle Beach or Wrightsville Beach from the greater Charlotte metro, you're either using a scooter or stopping every hour to scout every off-the-beatin path pottery and veggie stand. And if they ever upgrade the entire trip to interstate grade, it'll take less time than that.

I've been to Nashville a lot and much like Charlotte, it is booming. It's livelier tourist spot whereas Charlotte is a business city with a certain east coast and/or south atlantic vibe. I much prefer this vibe, culture and diversity....others might not. The problem with both metros are the underdeveloped highway infrastructure to support the exponential growth. Much like Atlanta, neither are prepared to handle the magnitude of growth. However, Charlotte is ahead of most peer cities with respect to rail transit investment.

You can't go wrong settling in either place because living in any city/metro becomes routine and mundane over time. I'd never move anywhere simply for so-called culture, entertainment or urbanity. To visit, of course but to live? hell no. These are the most nonsensical reasons on earth to live anywhere.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:11 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
You can't go wrong settling in either place because living in any city/metro becomes routine and mundane over time. I'd never move anywhere simply for so-called culture, entertainment or urbanity. To visit, of course but to live? hell no. These are the most nonsensical reasons on earth to live anywhere.
For some people, they matter a great deal and "culture" can entail things like regional culture (Southern, Western, etc.), racial/ethnic presence, and political ideology. I prefer to live in moderate to liberal metro areas with a palpable Black cultural infrastructure, so would it be nonsensical for me to refuse to move to a city that was the opposite?

People simply value different things in a place to live and I won't call someone else's preferences nonsensical just because they aren't mine.

Old 11-23-2017, 04:21 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
For some people, they matter a great deal and "culture" can entail things like regional culture (Southern, Western, etc.), racial/ethnic presence, and political ideology. I prefer to live in moderate to liberal metro areas with a palpable Black cultural infrastructure, so would it be nonsensical for me to refuse to move to a city that was the opposite?

People simply value different things in a place to live and I won't call someone else's preferences nonsensical just because they aren't mine.
I understand but every place has some sort of "culture" and level of urbanity. I get perplexed when people even factor that into their relocation decision-making process. For instance what is the cultural difference between Baltimore and Philly? Or Even Baltimore and DC? It's rather obvious for everyone who has lived near or spent significant time in those places. My point is it doesn't really matter or a big deal, you relocate and adapt. It's just sort of ridiculous when people say Charlotte has no culture. It does, but it isn't tailor-made for a tourist experience.

I don't think Nashville has more culture than Charlotte, it's simply has more entertainment venues, that's it.

Every city/metro certainly isn't diverse...that we can agree on.

When I lived in the Capitol Hill area in DC, I never shopped downtown for retail type things, etc. Most things were usually overpriced with limited access (parking, etc)...I'd just hop in the car and ride out to anywhere MD to get stuff. I get it though, it's great for tourist and urban enthusiast.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:47 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Strong economy and job growth: Nashville
- Relatively low housing costs (we'd be first time home buyers): Charlotte
- Four seasons: Charlotte is slightly milder. Nashville is flood prone in some areas and experiences tornados throughout the year.
- Proximity to the beach and mountains: Charlotte
- Outdoor activities: Nashville
- Friendly people: Nashville
- Cleanliness: Charlotte is newer and cleaner
- Lower crime: Charlotte has lower crime
- Breweries: Tie
- Young population but not necessarily the party scene: Both. There is a common misconception about Nashville being a party city. It has a strong corporate base as well as entertainment and hospitality. Healthcare is a large portion of Nashville's economy. There are also several well known colleges and universities throughout the area.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:05 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Reality check: neither is going to match the culture of the Big Easy. With that said, I would choose Charlotte. Lots of trees, close to the mountains and reasonably close to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte