Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 11:55 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ossmer View Post
LMFAO,
Stop sharing your knowledge! Dude, you really have NO CLUE. The Hudson river close to Canada is about 30' wide, full of trout. Closer to NYC it's about 3 miles wide, I'm sure the fresh water trout never make it that far. But you would know since you are an expert of the Hudson river! Where you ever blessed to live outside of NC? You call this good living in NC?? Read the link below.

Cases of rare eye cancer in Huntersville grow | Charlotte Observer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollut...e_Hudson_River

It got you dude...you don't even know you're crazy as hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
You didn't read my post, you just assume I drank the water from the Hudson close to NYC. Like I asked you when have you traveled to Upstate NY or N.E.? If so where? The difference I have and traveled a lot in NC. When I wrote trout fishing it was at the start of the Hudson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_River#Sources

But you think the coal ash run off isn't Making it to the drinking water?

https://www.duke-energy.com/our-comp...t/our-progress

Duke U. Study Finds Contamination In Fish Near 2 Coal Ash Sites | BPR

That's some safe NC living. LMFAO!! Dude do you live under a rock? check the dates on those articles.
It's ok, we are here for you as good southern folk after such a traumatic youth. And yes, some of us have lived up Nawf and very familiar with all that overrated Yankee stuff, that's why a bulk of ya'll are trying desperately to get here.

Btw, family in NYC, Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany and Springfield, Mass...well, some are still there. Spent many a summer in Buffalo with Grandpa, never winter, one winter was more than enough.

Anyway, you are in a much better place now, the reason you are still here...cause last I checked, I-81and I-95 are still open for bi-directional traffic.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:54 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Quote:
Here again,
You NEVER LIVED in the northeast! You can't call a visit, living there. I wouldn't trade my youth and living in upstate NY for anything. I LOVED winter sports and since I never lived in the city limits, I always had a motocross bike and a snow mobile and it was so much fun to ride. Just take right off on the trails, powerlines, old logging roads, no need to trailer it to a special area. Non stop fishing and hunting,rock concerts, have you ever seen Led Zepplin, The Who, Rush, the list goes on and on and that was before I was 16. But MSG was only 1 hour away. If you visited any of those cities you would know people that live there have a very neutral accent, just like the national news cast and you can understand them, they just can't understand you. LOL But the summer heat must be the reason I never saw kids outside in their yards when I moved south, guess everyone just sits in the A/C getting FAT!
It must have been horrible to spend most of your adult life in a place you hated after making a choice to move, wishing you had the place of your youth again, and now time has passed you by and you wish you had made different decisions such as not moving south. We only get one life to live and it must be frustrating to have spent so much time in a place you largely disliked.

From California here, and love it in NC. The West is great, but NC is beautiful and fun too. We are active and have active friends here though, and we usually find the good in most places and people. Everybody should make the decision best for their individual circumstances. For us it is here in NC rather than in SoCal and it has been great. Sorry it didn't work out for you and you stayed so long unhappy.

Last edited by CLT4; 05-08-2018 at 08:04 AM..

Old 05-08-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Here again,
You NEVER LIVED in the northeast! You can't call a visit, living there. I wouldn't trade my youth and living in upstate NY for anything. I LOVED winter sports and since I never lived in the city limits, I always had a motocross bike and a snow mobile and it was so much fun to ride. Just take right off on the trails, powerlines, old logging roads, no need to trailer it to a special area. Non stop fishing and hunting,rock concerts, have you ever seen Led Zepplin, The Who, Rush, the list goes on and on and that was before I was 16. But MSG was only 1 hour away. If you visited any of those cities you would know people that live there have a very neutral accent, just like the national news cast and you can understand them, they just can't understand you. LOL But the summer heat must be the reason I never saw kids outside in their yards when I moved south, guess everyone just sits in the A/C getting FAT!

We never had to deal with ticks, fire ants, tons of rats and mice like I see when I brush hog the back forty in Union co. I cut hay, brush hogged many times in NY never saw rats in the grass and that = no snakes.

Who wants to get in NC? Most people come with their company/job or looking for a better job. As we did
and the first chance I have I will leave to live in a nicer place with nicer people. If you have noticed most people in CLT are just passing through, they are from some other city and here just a few years then move on. But everyone I have talked to that lived on the west coast, wants to return. Let's think about why is San Diego, San Fran and north into the wine country is so popular? Watch the cooking shows from the west coast and notice when they are cooking outside, do you see any flies? Try that here, you better have everything covered.

So if you could live in a place where you don't need A/C in the summer and it never snows in the winter and you have tons of great venues, restaurants, great site seeing why would you want to live in CLT or NC?
That's right I forgot, you want cancer! Here's another great article (we are talking 2017 and 18 not 1970) on NC and what are they doing to clean the water or are they going to try?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wilming...pont-chemours/
Not a fan of The Who, Rush, etc....prefer Earth, Wind & Fire, Ojays, Frankie Beverly, Teddy Pendegrass. etc. I've spent enough time up there to know I prefer the South. There are mudslides, fires and earthquakes, etc out west....maybe you live in this fantasy land or watch the news through a fairy tale lense. Btw, all that snow and ice up nawf is hell on a car and highway.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:59 AM

60 posts, read 91,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I didn't read your first post, but you come across as having a great attitude, which is necessary when relocating.

From Massachusetts, the major adjustment you might have to make is in the way of food: Charlotte can hold it's own, but MA is known for it's incredible seafood. Coming from NY, I do miss Italian bakeries to some extent, and the ocean...that I miss most of all.

That said, there's *a lot* that I don't miss.

As to getting employment: I strongly recommend having a Charlotte address on your resume. You can get a Charlotte address by renting a mailbox at a neighborhood UPS store. Once you get contacted from a perspective employer, I would be honest about your living situation. It's a tough situation to be sure, as you're relying on the honesty of a perspective employer's interest in you, to determine if it's worthwhile to drive to Charlotte to interview for a position. That said, the job market in Charlotte is flush with people from other areas, so many people will work with you in arranging an interview.

Thank you, NDL! I have a sibling who lives there so I can definitely use her address. I have been thinking myself that the area is very transplant friendly so there would be more understanding. I guess I'll find out soon enough haha.

I have seafood once in a while, but not all the time. Like you say, you certainly miss some things from home. All about the tradeoffs.

And holy cow this thread got off track. Don't worry, I'm just sitting back with a bag of popcorn. It seems like some individuals post rapidly all over a sub-forum and then disappear. Anyone who places 100% stock in moving on Joe-shomoes advice is in for a rude awakening. I could spout off a lot of reaosns why I dislike Massachusetts. But it's my opinion, and if others like it, that's all that matters. I don't, so here we are haha

Anyways...

Old 05-08-2018, 09:20 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Here again,

We never had to deal with ticks, fire ants, tons of rats and mice like I see when I brush hog the back forty in Union co. I cut hay, brush hogged many times in NY never saw rats in the grass and that = no snakes.

Who wants to get in NC? Most people come with their company/job or looking for a better job. As we did
and the first chance I have I will leave to live in a nicer place with nicer people. If you have noticed most people in CLT are just passing through, they are from some other city and here just a few years then move on. But everyone I have talked to that lived on the west coast, wants to return. Let's think about why is San Diego, San Fran and north into the wine country is so popular? Watch the cooking shows from the west coast and notice when they are cooking outside, do you see any flies? Try that here, you better have everything covered.

So if you could live in a place where you don't need A/C in the summer and it never snows in the winter and you have tons of great venues, restaurants, great site seeing why would you want to live in CLT or NC?
That's right I forgot, you want cancer! Here's another great article (we are talking 2017 and 18 not 1970) on NC and what are they doing to clean the water or are they going to try?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wilming...pont-chemours/
Your posts show extreme bias to the point of borderline absurdity.

Yes, NC has snakes, and I hate snakes; and yes, the lakes here are mudpits compared to the lakes in Upstate NY. But you're looking at NY with rose colored glasses, while disregarding the virtues of NC.

The Love Canal has been remediated, but what about the pristine Hudson?

"Between 1947 and 1977, General Electric (GE) dumped an estimated 1.3 million pounds of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) into the Hudson River"

https://www.riverkeeper.org/campaign...olluters/pcbs/

As to San Diego & San Fran, both are nice cities, but I will take NC's mosquito's to CA's earthquakes.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:31 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Livin 24 View Post
Thank you, NDL! I have a sibling who lives there so I can definitely use her address. I have been thinking myself that the area is very transplant friendly so there would be more understanding. I guess I'll find out soon enough haha.

I have seafood once in a while, but not all the time. Like you say, you certainly miss some things from home. All about the tradeoffs.

And holy cow this thread got off track. Don't worry, I'm just sitting back with a bag of popcorn. It seems like some individuals post rapidly all over a sub-forum and then disappear. Anyone who places 100% stock in moving on Joe-shomoes advice is in for a rude awakening. I could spout off a lot of reaosns why I dislike Massachusetts. But it's my opinion, and if others like it, that's all that matters. I don't, so here we are haha

Anyways...
Some perspective employers won't budge an inch, while others are flexible when suggestions/solutions are provided. For example: some prospective employers might be amenable to a telephone interview as a precursor to a face to face interview. The other party won't likely spend time on the phone with you, unless you suggest a telephone precursor to a face to face interview, and the worst they can say is no.

But yeah, it's been my experience, and the experience of others, that you won't get a call back without a local address.

If you have any other questions about the area, don't hesitate to shoot me a DM.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:31 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
Hilarious thread. Welcome OP. Charlotte is a great place to call home.

Jay- start another thread and just start a topic. Too much to disagree with here and too off topic for any merit.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Bias or the truth?

Fire ants causing Anaphylactic shock? do you know about this? You should if you are in their territory.

Now really who is wearing glasses? Your world is ready to fall apart. You can point a finger at G.E. more than 50 years ago, but why did you let Duke power do much worst last year and still continue?
Where were you to do defend and protect your Sacred holy grounds?

Everything I wrote is not bias, dude it is the truth. Look it up. So how many years is it going to take Lake Norman and it's entire area to clean it up?

https://www.google.com/search?ei=Xm3....0.qv2HrU_d0UU

What about the eye cancer in Huntersville area?? is that my bias?

Let's be realistic and accept the situation the area has to offer.
These things will eat you alive in upstate NY, I hated 'em. Black flies up there are nasty, in the south just an annoyance.

Black fly season can feel like a horror movie: Here's how to avoid bites, escape swarms | NewYorkUpstate.com

Just telling the truth. And 6-7 months of winter...the truth, cold as hell, potential blizzards in May.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:25 PM
NDL

Quote:
Bias or the truth?

Fire ants causing Anaphylactic shock? do you know about this? You should if you are in their territory.

Now really who is wearing glasses? Your world is ready to fall apart. You can point a finger at G.E. more than 50 years ago, but why did you let Duke power do much worst last year and still continue?
Where were you to do defend and protect your Sacred holy grounds?

Everything I wrote is not bias, dude it is the truth. Look it up. So how many years is it going to take Lake Norman and it's entire area to clean it up?

https://www.google.com/search?ei=Xm3....0.qv2HrU_d0UU

What about the eye cancer in Huntersville area?? is that my bias?

Let's be realistic and accept the situation the area has to offer.
To answer your DM, no, I don't work in real estate.

As to your other points, no one said that this area was perfect...every area has it's tradeoff's.

I wouldn't live in Huntersville - yes, the eye cancer issue is real - neither would I want to put up with CA's earthquakes.

I am not going to answer further, as it's pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte