Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 07:29 AM

573 posts, read 551,616 times

Advertisements

I was in a demographics discussion about the status in Charlotte. I wanted to get some figures, but I found that when attempting to ascertain numbers, whites included Hispanics (otherwise considered "brown". I understand that Hispanics is a term derived from people of Spanish heritage and Spain is considered a white European country.

I don't have an issue with whites and Hispanics (Mexican, Guatemala, El Salvador, Columbia, etc.) being in the same category. What concerns me is that the local city council and social agencies distinguish Hispanics as "brown" people. I don't know if that is simply a scam t0 allocate local and/or federal funds for Hispanics. Including them with whites deceptively triples their numbers. I believe that "brown" people are more culturally in sync with whites than other ethnicities, but why the inconsistencies?

Although the Hispanic violent crime rate per capita is significantly less than that of the African American community, it is significantly higher per capita than that of whites. This seems to be an obvious attempt to make whites look deceptively high in the area of violent crime (by combining Hispanic and white) thus creating a false image of black violent crime rates. Bottom line, people in the community need to have access to real facts and not be deceived through social engineering. Crime data is important in seeking housing, schooling, and retirements. These are areas for which many newcomers have concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 08:41 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,970,793 times
No need to even state that lol. Just watch the news locally and you’ll know who the problem is. Shootings every day here ain’t coming from Chad in Myers Park. It’s the same demographic over and over. Look at states primarily white (Vermont, NH, Maine)… nearly no violent crime. Stats don’t lie and they can deny it all they want.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:37 AM

607 posts, read 556,483 times
No matter how these large demographic groupings are done they're by lines in the sand.

Is a Spaniard via Cuba a hispanic? White?

Is a Nigerian immigrant an African American? In the sense that their lineage doesn't carry the legacy of American Slavery?

How about a blue-eyed Iranian? Are they white? Asian?

As far as the connection to crime, the motivation to label in a certain way seems rather clear. The same reason that the NCVS Race of Offender data is increasingly difficult to find because it's something we don't want to talk about.

Instead we can talk about "White Supremacy" as the real cause of violence in America. /s

Old 06-29-2021, 09:42 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,247,451 times
This is such a tired conversation. Hispanic does not equal just brown, or black, or white.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...-white-and-why

Old 06-29-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
This is such a tired conversation. Hispanic does not equal just brown, or black, or white.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...-white-and-why
Do you see it as a problem when Hispanics are NOT included with whites when it comes to the census, but they ARE included when it comes to crime?

Doing so would dramatically, though artificially, raise the white crime rate...and in doing so...would make the black crime rate look closer to normal.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:55 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,247,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Do you see it as a problem when Hispanics are NOT included with whites when it comes to the census, but they ARE included when it comes to crime?
Hispanics can and do absolutely identify as white for the census.

Quote:
As of 2019, 58.5 million or 18% of Americans identified themselves ethnically as Hispanic or Latino. Of those, 38.3 million, or 65.5% (11.8% of the total U.S. population), also self-identified as white.[15]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_...tino_Americans

(Not that wiki is the end-all, be-all, but it is one of the first sites that popped up and I'm busy/lazy.)

Old 06-29-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:

(Not that wiki is the end-all, be-all, but it is one of the first sites that popped up and I'm busy/lazy.)
I don't disagree with anything you said.

But the census is done based on self-identification whereas crime victimization statistics are "black" or "white" based on visuals...especially if the person isn't caught or known.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post

Doing so would dramatically, though artificially, raise the white crime rate...and in doing so...would make the black crime rate look closer to normal.
When I lived in Miami, for most purposes, Cubans were considered Hispanics. That makes sense since many carry mostly Spanish DNA. However, when a Cuban committed a crime or a cop did bad, all of a sudden, they were considered white. There is a desperate attempt to bring parity amongst races in regard to crime. Any chance of that happening is probably history. I remember when there was an effort for everyone to be recognized for their actions and not physical features. That didn't last very long.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:

It is fine that Hispanics identify as whites. I'm O.K. that people identify with whomever they feel they belong. It is wrong that the FBI, the city, and federal government switches people around just in order to make certain groups look bad and others to appear not so bad. This also is a governmental way to hide the fact that some of those in high places are doing their jobs at a less than desirable achievement rate.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:54 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,711,494 times
I'm pretty sure demographic reporting for crime at the city level just corresponds to the national level and the FBI. I don't think Charlotte is doing anything different than any other city in the country on that front. Are different city's reporting on crime demographics differently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte