Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 05:48 PM

222 posts, read 196,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I didn't say that but don't act like the inner city is a bed of roses or curved with streets of great non-chains and diversity you make it out to be. Good for you, I grew up in rural NC and grateful for my experience. Great food, there were no-chains because there were no restaurants so every damn thing I ate was fresh, we grew it or caught it....vegetables, chickens, fish, etc.

Stop being a "big" city snob because growing up in Brooklyn or Queens doesn't make your experiences superior or having a better experiences than me or anyone else. I got plenty of relatives from the "urban" cities of the northeast and still there.
Not a New Yorker but thanks for assuming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 06:05 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdez View Post
Not a New Yorker but thanks for assuming
That wasn't an assumption, simply a comparison because it doesn't matter if you were raised in Rome, Hong Kong or London...nobody really cares..."your" was used in 3rd person context.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:12 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
I’m in Charlotte- South Park area

So if you hate areas like SouthPark, why are you in SouthPark and not uptown or NoDa or Plaza or SouthEnd or somewhere more urban?

Why are you in Charlotte at all?

Old 03-25-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
So if you hate areas like SouthPark, why are you in SouthPark and not uptown or NoDa or Plaza or SouthEnd or somewhere more urban?

Why are you in Charlotte at all?
Found a decently priced room in South Park. Yes it’s not my ideal neighborhood but it works for now. Came to Charlotte for an employment opportunity in 2014. And yeah maybe those places you listed are urban for Charlotte standards, but not my idea of urban. Just holding tight until I move again in 2019.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:26 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Found a decently priced room in South Park. Yes it’s not my ideal neighborhood but it works for now. Came to Charlotte for an employment opportunity in 2014. And yeah maybe those places you listed are urban for Charlotte standards, but not my idea of urban. Just holding tight until I move again in 2019.

Just a little advice. Don’t move to a city or a part of a city that doesn’t live up to your standards of urbanity because you couldn’t get to where you wanted in an area you like.

You have an entire year left in Charlotte. Instead of complaining about what it lacks, enjoy it if you know you’re going to leave anyway. And if you’re just going to stay bitter, leave earlier. Sorry Charlotte provided you an opportunity you couldn’t refuse.

I think Charlottes urban areas are urban enough.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:39 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
To me, Charlotte used to be a nice looking city (think back around the time that "Shallow Hal" was being filmed.) It felt like a nice place and it had a charm of it's own. But what it has alway been missing - at least to my eyes - was a great public space.

There is no place that I know of were people congregate. Someplace like "Boston Common," "Fairmount Park" in Philadelphia, the downtown park near the government buildings in Richmond, the "Inner Harbor" in Baltimore.

I know there IS a large public park, but I only went there once because it was mosquito infested - maybe it has improved.

I think the new ballpark adds a lot of character, but the city still lacks something. Sometimes I think it had to do with the fact that there is no large body or water or riverfront.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Just a little advice. Don’t move to a city or a part of a city that doesn’t live up to your standards of urbanity because you couldn’t get to where you wanted in an area you like.

You have an entire year left in Charlotte. Instead of complaining about what it lacks, enjoy it if you know you’re going to leave anyway. And if you’re just going to stay bitter, leave earlier. Sorry Charlotte provided you an opportunity you couldn’t refuse.

I think Charlottes urban areas are urban enoughh.
Probably urban enough for us but some people fancy a denser urban environment. In my experiences, it's grossly overrated but so is living on a tobacco farm in rural NC if that's not your thing. However, it's much easier to get ahead with a decent job in high growth sunbelt cities, that's why people are moving here and to the south in droves if they can find a job. Most of the transplants, if wise, would settle down and ride it out because getting here is really competitive, the secrets been out of the bag for a while now.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
To me, Charlotte used to be a nice looking city (think back around the time that "Shallow Hal" was being filmed.) It felt like a nice place and it had a charm of it's own. But what it has alway been missing - at least to my eyes - was a great public space.

There is no place that I know of were people congregate. Someplace like "Boston Common," "Fairmount Park" in Philadelphia, the downtown park near the government buildings in Richmond, the "Inner Harbor" in Baltimore.

I know there IS a large public park, but I only went there once because it was mosquito infested - maybe it has improved.

I think the new ballpark adds a lot of character, but the city still lacks something. Sometimes I think it had to do with the fact that there is no large body or water or riverfront.
Depending on how long the growth trend continues, sunbelt cities are transforming faster than ever. I think cities like Charlotte are on the precipice of doing just what you're talking about due to demand. Good or bad, all that's coming in the next 10-15 years, larger city parks with water-centric features, an Aquarium, urban zoo, more museums, etc. 70s/80s/90s growth was primarily driven by the financial complex and business thought leaders that unquestionably built a button-up town that suited their taste. No doubt it'll have a residual effect but the next wave is going to much more culturally driven and good time to have some skin in the game. This is the new "IT" corridor, the I-85 corridor.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:24 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Honestly this just sounds like the average day of living in any suburb in the United States. Driving to a park, then to a shopping center eating at Panera (a chain restaurant).. I personally hate suburban life it’s so bland and lacks any originality.
Oh, come off it.

You've stated repeatedly that you're from Philadelphia. It's an old city with good transit, & a high percentage of the population has a car.

People in Philadelphia don't like it one little bit when New Yorkers say that Philadelphia is boring, etc. etc. Why do you think it's ok to say it about Charlotte?

Old 03-25-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Oh, come off it.

You've stated repeatedly that you're from Philadelphia. It's an old city with good transit, & a high percentage of the population has a car.

People in Philadelphia don't like it one little bit when New Yorkers say that Philadelphia is boring, etc. etc. Why do you think it's ok to say it about Charlotte?
Umm sorry for responding to posts? I thought his was an open forum unless I’m mistaken. If your opinion differs from mine that’s fine, I won’t hold it against you.

And that specific comment I made really applies to any suburban area.. not just Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte