Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 66,585 times

Advertisements

I am new to the Charlotte area...moved here from Ohio. My husband and I like so many others out there lost our home to foreclosure after a series of unfortunate incidents. We decided to move to NC to start over. We are both employed but are having a hard time finding a home to rent with our credit situation. Currently we are staying with friends, but we don't want to be a burdon or wear out our welcome. We are good people....just have been down on our luck lately. Is there any way we can locate housing with no credit checks....we just need someone to give us a chance to prove that we are not bad people simply because our credit is. Thanks in advance to those who reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 04:41 PM

25 posts, read 131,507 times
I don't have any specific leads, but look for a private landlord. Do alot of driving around and check the classifieds (Charlotte Observer | Frontpage (http://www.charlotte.com - broken link)), and find some "For Rent" signs that don't have a company attached to it. Not a scam or anything, but private landlords tend to be more forgiving in the credit history department, and these days, they are sometimes desperate to find a renter, with the economy like it is.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:46 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,312,545 times
Search charlotte craigslist for some private landlords...
With steady income and paycheck stubs to prove it, you should be fine.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:14 PM

889 posts, read 3,116,838 times
[quote=mullman;3239499]Search charlotte craigslist for some private landlords...
With steady income and paycheck stubs to prove it, you should be fine.[/QUOTE

Just a word of encouragment.I second the opinion of craigslist.
We own a rental and took in a young girl who went through a divorce, she was very upfront about her credit situation and we did rent to her as we were in the same boat years ago ourselves as far as a credit risk was concerned. I advertised on craigslist and she found us. So point being,dont get discouraged someone will rent to you as long as you are honest and can prove you are working, good luck

Old 03-24-2008, 05:16 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,217 times
I'd be very wary of renting in complexes that are too eager to take you. These are often dangerous places to live. Thy will even take people who have criminal records. Try for a private house instead. Craig's list is a good suggestion.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:28 PM

182 posts, read 554,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latinaloca View Post
I am new to the Charlotte area...moved here from Ohio. My husband and I like so many others out there lost our home to foreclosure after a series of unfortunate incidents. We decided to move to NC to start over. We are both employed but are having a hard time finding a home to rent with our credit situation. Currently we are staying with friends, but we don't want to be a burdon or wear out our welcome. We are good people....just have been down on our luck lately. Is there any way we can locate housing with no credit checks....we just need someone to give us a chance to prove that we are not bad people simply because our credit is. Thanks in advance to those who reply.
I have never used Craigslist myself, but I have heard they have a lot of useful info on that site. I was goignto suggest you check the local classified for the area, which I assume is just the Charlotte Observer {I don't live in the area yet}. I really feel your frustration, because when we move we may face a similar problem, due to past credit issues. We are attempting to clean up a lot of items on our credit reports (pre marriage) so we can be in a situation to purchase a home in the near future. I wish you the best of luck, and hopefully craigslist can assist you.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:14 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,664,987 times
Another vote for Craigslist. I'd be willing to be a rep point that you'll find a place there!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:14 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,620 times
I'd also suggest looking for private landlords on the Section 8 list. Sometimes they're willing to rent to people with credit issues.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:21 PM

182 posts, read 554,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
I'd also suggest looking for private landlords on the Section 8 list. Sometimes they're willing to rent to people with credit issues.
The only issue I have with section 8, is that a lot of the landlords just want the $$$, so the screening isn't so good. Maybe the tenants don't have a criminal record, but some [not all] are not good tenants. My landlord has started accepting section 8 in the private own quad-plexs that he own [since it has been hard to rent the apartments out] since my neighbors moved in, in Feb. I am tired of them. I know they have people who live there who aren't suppose to be there, and they are just inconsidered. Their guests park in our assigned parking spots. I finally complained today. I am tired of it. I pay full rent, so I want full access.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:24 AM

3 posts, read 66,585 times
Thank you all so very much for answering and giving me some hope. I will let you all know if I find a place...God Bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte