Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 01:24 PM

126 posts, read 296,191 times

Advertisements

I know people who drive out of state (even Atlanta) to SouthPark.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-25-2012 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: moved due other than original topic of original thread
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 08:10 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagrown View Post
Could not have said it better myself. I know people who drive out of state (even Atlanta) to SouthPark.
To get what??. I don't understand anyone driving 3 hours to shop at south park when they can get the same thing in Atlanta .. I'm lost

Old 07-24-2012, 08:32 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct36 View Post
I can see why, too. The malls in Atlanta are just okay. Phipps is too expensive but has Legoland now, so that's weird. Also, it's pretty empty and I don't like that too much. Mall of Georgia is basically a regular mall with a Nordstrom attached, and Lenox is nice, but it is WAY WAY more crowded than SouthPark, and has a pretty good amount of people going there to hang out, and if you get too close to the cheaper stores, there are so many people who aren't very classy. Plus, the mall doesn't look that nice except for the Neiman Marcus wing. Then Perimeter isn't quite as big (or at least it seems that way) and not quite as upscale, and IMO doesn't look as good as Lenox and definitely SouthPark.

I was mostly just getting at the annoying people posting on the Charlotte Observer, etc. that just make dumb, ignorant comments. I do agree, and I do want to know what was wrong. But it isn't cheap materials considering the most rain we ever get here is about an inch over a few hours, but SouthPark got 3 inches in 45 minutes. I don't think a lot of roofs could stand that anyway, certainly not one built in 1970.

Regardless, SP is a great mall and no matter what went wrong I think we will all still shop there.

I seem to forget about that mall, always. SouthPark is certainly the second oldest mall in NC, then.

Like I said earlier, I doubt that the Tryon Mall had to deal with 3 inches of rain in 45 minutes, that's an inch every 15 minutes. The Asheville area seems to get only an inch in a few hours on normal occasions.
The way u talk about Lenox and Phipps is pure comedy. Those 2 malls produce over 1 billion in sales. Its mighty strange that u would say people are just going there to just hang out. If that was the case Lenox wouldn't be adding all the highend stores and lowerend stores. As a matter of fact Lenox and Phipps have added more stores in the last year than southpark has added in 4 to 5 years . I don't know anyone driving 3 hours to shop at a mall just because of how it looks on the inside. Northpark mall in Dallas is not so pretty itself but it doesn't stop all those people from shopping there. Charlotte South park doesn't even offer decent men's stores like Hugo boss or Zegna. More people come from NC to shop in Atlanta than
other way around.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:08 PM

341 posts, read 761,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
The way u talk about Lenox and Phipps is pure comedy. Those 2 malls produce over 1 billion in sales. Its mighty strange that u would say people are just going there to just hang out. If that was the case Lenox wouldn't be adding all the highend stores and lowerend stores. As a matter of fact Lenox and Phipps have added more stores in the last year than southpark has added in 4 to 5 years . I don't know anyone driving 3 hours to shop at a mall just because of how it looks on the inside. Northpark mall in Dallas is not so pretty itself but it doesn't stop all those people from shopping there. Charlotte South park doesn't even offer decent men's stores like Hugo boss or Zegna. More people come from NC to shop in Atlanta than
other way around.
Again, people taking what I say out of context. I never said that people just go to "hang out" there. But considering that you act like no one hangs out there you obviously have never been around Bloomingdale's or have ever been to the food court.

What's great about adding stores? Adding stores means that some have closed, you should know that with Phipps. Besides, it is ATLANTA, around THREE times the size of Charlotte.

The look of the mall has a lot to do with how people perceive it. If you look at the most successful, upscale malls, most of them are very attractive and have a nice atmosphere. All upscale malls are like that, with the few exceptions of NorthPark (which is attractive in some ways), Lenox Square, and the Glendale Galleria. NorthPark and Lenox are good-just okay in some areas, but the Galleria looks pretty horrible.

C'est tres chic! Oh la la la la!

Would you expect to see a BOSS store or Ermenegildo Zegna in Charlotte? What do you think Charlotte is like? Atlanta? Houston? Any other city around 3 times it's size? If we want menswear, Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus has decent selections.

Lenox's sales per square foot is around $800, but is a smaller mall.
1,545,000*800=$1,236,000,000

SouthPark is "in excess of $700", has been confirmed, however I have heard anywhere from 720-740 thrown around
So, 1,626,000*730=$1,186,980,000
With numbers that big, 49 million is not much. Considering Lenox is in a city 3 times larger and has many tourists (around 35%) you would think that the number would be much, much larger. But it's not.

The reason why people love SouthPark so much is it's range of stores. Phipps has little range, but Lenox has an even larger one, and that isn't very beneficial for them (Like 5 sneaker stores, etc.)

I haven't heard of many people complain about feeling unsafe at SouthPark, but I don't feel as safe in Lenox. There's a reason why the rich people in Atlanta that shop at Prada, LV, Neiman's, etc. go during the week or morning and never venture past Bloomingdale's, and never visit the food court. How many Neiman's bags have you seen in Lenox's food court? Because I haven't seen any when I was there. In fact, I hardly ever even see people with Neiman's bags or anything similar past Fendi or Facconable in the main mall.

I like Lenox, but you people who attack me for liking SouthPark more (even though I have reasons) are the reasons why I end up liking Lenox even less

Hopefully this will put the thread back on topic to SouthPark rather than another one of those Charlotte v. Atlanta threads.

Last edited by ct36; 07-24-2012 at 09:20 PM..

Old 07-24-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
other way around.
You're completely wrong. Unlike the entire state of Georgia, North Carolina isn't ran by just one city. There's other malls throughout the state that have stores SouthPark doesn't. Lenox and Phipps are both smaller than SouthPark and adding the sales per square foot from both malls isn't fair, therefore "Those 2 malls produce over 1 billion in sales" is not true. If another mall was located across the street from SouthPark, I can understand where you're coming from. Where's your proof that Lenox or Phipps have added more stores within a year, than SouthPark in 4 to 5 years? " Charlotte South park doesn't even offer decent men's stores like Hugo boss or Zegna." 7 for all Mankind, A&F, Aeropostale, American Apparel, Banana Republic, Body Central, Express MEN, GAP, Guess, Hermes, Hollister, J. Crew, Lacoste, lululemon, Men's Wearhouse/Tux, Nieman Marcus, Paul Simon and Tommy Bahama are all considered "men's stores" and they're all nice. Half of the upscale stores (ex: Prada, Fendi) can barely be supported by the "think-they're-rich people" in Atlanta. I'd rather a mall add more stores over time, than trying to add every store possible to up it's image and can't even b supported. If you would stop rushing into your comeback and take the time to read and understand comments, you'd know that I said I KNEW PEOPLE, not the entire population of Georgia that have drove (not an everyday thing) to SouthPark to shop. The reason of this is, Lenox and Phipps aren't as nice as SouthPark and SouthPark feels safer. The number of upscale stores Lenox/Phipps has vs. how many Charlotte has, makes no sense at all. Also, can you please tell me how SouthPark isn't adding luxury stores? All three of the malls are considered upscale and are all owned by the same company, so why does it matter which mall has more upscale stores anyways?

Old 07-24-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagrown View Post
You're completely wrong. Unlike the entire state of Georgia, North Carolina isn't ran by just one city. There's other malls throughout the state that have stores SouthPark doesn't. Lenox and Phipps are both smaller than SouthPark and adding the sales per square foot from both malls isn't fair, therefore "Those 2 malls produce over 1 billion in sales" is not true. If another mall was located across the street from SouthPark, I can understand where you're coming from. Where's your proof that Lenox or Phipps have added more stores within a year, than SouthPark in 4 to 5 years? " Charlotte South park doesn't even offer decent men's stores like Hugo boss or Zegna." 7 for all Mankind, A&F, Aeropostale, American Apparel, Banana Republic, Body Central, Express MEN, GAP, Guess, Hermes, Hollister, J. Crew, Lacoste, lululemon, Men's Wearhouse/Tux, Nieman Marcus, Paul Simon and Tommy Bahama are all considered "men's stores" and they're all nice. Half of the upscale stores (ex: Prada, Fendi) can barely be supported by the "think-they're-rich people" in Atlanta. I'd rather a mall add more stores over time, than trying to add every store possible to up it's image and can't even b supported. If you would stop rushing into your comeback and take the time to read and understand comments, you'd know that I said I KNEW PEOPLE, not the entire population of Georgia that have drove (not an everyday thing) to SouthPark to shop. The reason of this is, Lenox and Phipps aren't as nice as SouthPark and SouthPark feels safer. The number of upscale stores Lenox/Phipps has vs. how many Charlotte has, makes no sense at all. Also, can you please tell me how SouthPark isn't adding luxury stores? All three of the malls are considered upscale and are all owned by the same company, so why does it matter which mall has more upscale stores anyways?
Completely agree. I am actually sure that Lenox and Phipps have added more stores than SouthPark, but that isn't necessarily a good thing, is it? It is because the stores they have can't be supported, and close. I would rather have a handful of luxury stores that are strong and will stay open. Atlanta just seems to get every possible upscale store and then 25% of the stores will end up closing. SouthPark has only had 3 luxury/upscale store closings, that would be Billy Reid, Bob Ellis (closed all of their stores, if I'm correct), and Intermix, over 2 or 3 years. Lenox/Phipps has about double that every year, hence more store openings. You are absolutely spot on about the upscale stores not being supported. I can't see many of the stores in Lenox closing, but Phipps has lost a pretty good bit. MaxMara, Barneys, Theory come to mind.

As for not having decent men's stores, well guess what, if you like luxury brands, you can go to this awesome store called Neiman Marcus. They have some really nice people there, and I've heard that if you find something you like they don't carry, they will even get it for you from other stores, including your Lenox store.

However, I do think that the department stores being very large and strong contributes many failed boutiques in Atlanta.

SouthPark is definitely the nicer mall overall, and people must seem to agree. Yelp does, it gives SouthPark 4 stars vs. Lenox's 3.5. Both Lenox and SP have pretty ridiculous 1 star reviews, but the 2 star ones are can be partially accurate whereas the 2 star reviews of SP are pretty ridiculous too. Besides, throwing out the ridiculous reviews would benefit SP more.

Safety, Looks, the Parking situation, and the people who are there together are just as important than the variety of stores, with safety obviously being the most important, but neither mall has to worry about that too much.

I doubt you could get the parking lot at Lenox pretty full with only 12 stores open, but that will happen at SouthPark (only that the back parking lot near Dicks was mostly water restoration, police, etc.).

I love Lenox/Phipps, but SouthPark more and I hope both malls do great.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:28 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times
I will say this. Atlanta does have bigger/better Macy's stores than Charlotte. I believe the men's wing at Lenox alone is bigger than the entire Southpark store. But those stores were originally Rich's flagship locations. But they do have much more of a full line of designer selections, including Macy's labels such as INC. And interestingly, they now have a nice Belk store in Phipps Plaza. But Atlanta also has Bloomingdale's and Saks Fifth Ave as well. Nevertheless, Southpark is a very nice and successful mall, but it does have inconvenient access.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I will say this. Atlanta does have bigger/better Macy's stores than Charlotte. I believe the men's wing at Lenox alone is bigger than the entire Southpark store. But those stores were originally Rich's flagship locations. But they do have much more of a full line of designer selections, including Macy's labels such as INC. And interestingly, they now have a nice Belk store in Phipps Plaza. But Atlanta also has Bloomingdale's and Saks Fifth Ave as well. Nevertheless, Southpark is a very nice and successful mall, but it does have inconvenient access.
I do agree that Macy's at Lenox is much better than SouthPark, but I didn't see any difference in it and Belk at SouthPark.

Macy's Men's at Lenox is 60,000 square feet. Macy's at SouthPark is 201,000 square feet. Hard to believe that 373,000 is reserved for home, women and kids. That's more than 86% of the store!

It is all personal preference, but I prefer Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus over Bloomingdale's and Saks. I have been to all 4 and made purchases at all but Bloomingdale's.

BTW-Please don't say "I will say this". It sounds like you are afraid of us! Haha you are being completely reasonable, no reason for us to get the least bit mad with you!

Old 07-25-2012, 12:04 AM

I give the Bloomingdale's to Atlanta because I can't see them opening a store in NC. Just doesn't look right in NC... or GA to be honest.

There's a Saks in Raleigh. Surprised they haven't tried to come into the Charlotte market yet.

I do agree that all three are great malls, I just prefer SouthPark.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:32 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times
I don't think Bloomingdale's is doing that great in Atlanta either, as they have closed the Perimeter store, leaving only the Lenox location. And Saks was at one time planning to come to Charlotte, but Neiman's ended up in the Southpark slot, and another planned freestanding location ended up just a big old hole in the ground. But I don't shop at those stores, as Belk, Macy's, and Kohl's are more within my budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte