Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 12:55 PM

54 posts, read 49,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Within 10 years it will look like Southend. Except with a higher college student population rather than young professionals on the parts closer to University. I look forward to it.
Those that lived and bought in the University region aren’t enjoying it. As it’s not what a lot of us signed up for. Imagine being a local and having something shoved down your throat. A lot of the area was more country (rural) now it’s starting to feel more like it has no identity nor soul as it’s trying to be something it’s not. Nothing like shoving people on fixed incomes out of their own home territory as they watch all that they worked to live for burn. Here’s a link or two actually.

The affordable housing challenge in Charlotte - WBTV, Channel 3 News, Weather, Traffic - | WBTV Charlotte

AND

Agenda 21 Bankrupting America
https://youtu.be/TDDWY7veVjc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 01:25 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,248,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The True CLT Native Gal View Post
Those that lived and bought in the University region aren’t enjoying it. As it’s not what a lot of us signed up for. Imagine being a local and having something shoved down your throat. A lot of the area was more country (rural) now it’s starting to feel more like it has no identity nor soul as it’s trying to be something it’s not. Nothing like shoving people on fixed incomes out of their own home territory as they watch all that they worked to live for burn. Here’s a link or two actually.

The affordable housing challenge in Charlotte - WBTV, Channel 3 News, Weather, Traffic - | WBTV Charlotte

AND

What was the "identity and soul" of the University area previously?

Old 04-23-2018, 02:14 PM

571 posts, read 707,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I remember. I lived in Moore Hall at UNCC before University City was built. From my dorm room window I could see what is now the site of University Shoppes and surrounding apartments and homes. At that time, the only thing visible, situated about where the Carolinas HealthCare Hospital stands today, was the Green Acres Nursing Home. Other than that, it looked like a forest. Maybe there was some farmland around there, too, but I don't recall. I do remember some folks who had homes along Hwy 49 in the '80s selling their property for a whole lot of money. But anyway, I guess the heart of the area -- the identity and soul -- was a nursing home.

The WBTV article The True CLT Native Gal cites pertains to the plight of renters. I do have sympathy for their circumstances. But I don't remember there being any apartments around that area back in the '80s, except directly across from UNCC where a lot of students lived. But The True CLT Native Gal claims to be a homeowner anyway, not a renter. As a homeowner, like those people I mentioned who made a huge profit due to the growth in the area, I would think The True CLT Native Gal would be happy for what's happened there because it's likely to have tremendously increased her property value.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
It was more to just do with the open roads and being able to get to places in 10 to 20 minutes. The country air and not having to worry about a camera watch you pull a wedgy out. I guess in short open space, fresher air and privacy. Now I have to stop at a traffic light every so many feet and it’s really annoying. Especially if your used to going and not having to stop. I welcome the change just wish it could be a bit more subtle. I’m just a country girl at heart. The agenda 21 plan for bankruptcy also has me worried as so many people move in I hope they would vote and actually stay to see it. Not vote for them and leave us stuck with the bill (it happened before).

Old 04-23-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
I remember. I lived in Moore Hall at UNCC before University City was built. From my dorm room window I could see what is now the site of University Shoppes and surrounding apartments and homes. At that time, the only thing visible, situated about where the Carolinas HealthCare Hospital stands today, was the Green Acres Nursing Home. Other than that, it looked like a forest. Maybe there was some farmland around there, too, but I don't recall. I do remember some folks who had homes along Hwy 49 in the '80s selling their property for a whole lot of money. But anyway, I guess the heart of the area -- the identity and soul -- was a nursing home.

The WBTV article The True CLT Native Gal cites pertains to the plight of renters. I do have sympathy for their circumstances. But I don't remember there being any apartments around that area back in the '80s, except directly across from UNCC where a lot of students lived. But The True CLT Native Gal claims to be a homeowner anyway, not a renter. As a homeowner, like those people I mentioned who made a huge profit due to the growth in the area, I would think The True CLT Native Gal would be happy for what's happened there because it's likely to have tremendously increased her property value.
I feel bad for the renters and the homeowners. The price for rent is ridiculous might as well buy a home. However their are still so many hurting from the recession and still trying to get back on their feet. Their were a lot at this end that didn’t want to see the lynx line much like the I-77 toll road debacle. A lot of what I had to say I posted in the post above. I learned that while we want to make money. We still want to have a good quality of life. I know there were two videos on the wbtv page (within was with a elderly veteran man on a fixed income). That’s why I paired both the links (sorry the content is 1 hour) the woman sums up brilliantly what’s happening. I should say what there trying to make happen. I just see the bigger picture of what “tptb” are really trying to do. I’m just for simpler is better and knowing that every city or town shouldn’t be the same. I’m also in favor of how the European train model is set up. That’s how you do it but guess we’re a 100 or so years too late for that.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:55 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,248,030 times
Quote:
It was more to just do with the open roads and being able to get to places in 10 to 20 minutes. The country air and not having to worry about a camera watch you pull a wedgy out. I guess in short open space, fresher air and privacy. Now I have to stop at a traffic light every so many feet and it’s really annoying. Especially if your used to going and not having to stop. I welcome the change just wish it could be a bit more subtle. I’m just a country girl at heart. The agenda 21 plan for bankruptcy also has me worried as so many people move in I hope they would vote and actually stay to see it. Not vote for them and leave us stuck with the bill (it happened before).
I thought you were referring to before the Lynx construction (which only started about 5 years ago). Sure there have been more things added over the years but I would guess that area hasn't really been as you describe since the 80's.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:10 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,472,275 times
Quote:

AND

I hear where you're coming from but I'm talking about relative to how the University City area has looked since 2009 when I moved here. It's a sprawling nightmare, like an overgrown suburb full of poorly planned box stores and apartment complexes and very unfriendly to pedestrians. The area is already developed so it's never going back to the rural, country type place that it used to be, for rural you will have to get outside Mecklenburg County soon with the way Charlotte is growing. I'm hoping the Lynx extension makes the area more walkable, springs up some higher end retail and housing to clear out the run down areas south of the 85 Connector and eventually bring the urban style, walkable environment that I would expect around the premier university of the major city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte