Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 09:03 PM

6 posts, read 8,738 times

Advertisements

My family is about to make the move to the Waxhaw/Marvin/Weddington area from New York and while we are very excited we are also nervous because we want to make the right decision for our family. We want to love our house and look of our neighorhood but we also have 2 children (aged 9 & 11) so a family friendly neighborhood is extremely important too. We love Skyecroft, Kingsmead, Firethorne, Providence Downs & Providence Downs South. I know plenty about the types of houses, developers & looks of the neighborhoods. What I am looking to find out about is how family friendly they are? Are there a lot of kids in the neighborhood? Do they play outside? Do families use the amenities? Are there family events? Things like that 😊. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 07:27 AM

751 posts, read 922,575 times
Most people that move into that area and established developments are moving specifically with families in tow. You shouldn't have any issues...though I would recommend that you still rent for a year first to ensure that you're comfortable with that area without being stuck. When we first moved here, we rented in an area we thought we'd love, only to realize after a few months that there were different areas of Charlotte that fit us better.

There's also a redistricting proposal going on, so you might want to read up on that to see how it impacts those neighborhoods.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:48 AM

Thank you so much for your reply! I am aware of the redistricting; however that has been finalized. Do you have children and do you live in the area? I am looking for some more specific information on the developments I had listed. Which are more family friendly? And some of the other questions I had mentioned like, do the kids play in the neighborhood? Do the families use the amenities? Are there family events in the community? Do you live in one of these neighborhoods or know of people who do? Thank you!

Old 04-12-2018, 01:05 PM

751 posts, read 922,575 times
I personally don't live in those neighborhoods...we used to live further North in UC near Blakeney. My understanding of all the larger developments down there are that they are all "family friendly"...and how much kids play outside in the neighborhood is really dependent on luck of the draw with which street you choose to live on within each development (some streets have teens that stay inside, some have young babies, some have kids that just graduated and moved out, and some are in the sweet spot of later elementary/early middle where they still play outside).

If you're patient enough, there should be other posters on this site that are familiar with those specific neighborhoods that can chime in. The other thing we've learned to do is to talk to neighbors in the neighborhood that are out and about when you're driving through. If you're friendly enough and tell them you're interested in buying in their neighborhood, we've never come across people unwilling to chat with us.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:46 PM

Well, hopefully others will respond to my post and yes that’s a good idea about chatting with people walking in the neighborhood. Thank you!

Old 04-17-2018, 12:47 PM

11 posts, read 13,402 times
Those areas are excellent!! Really highly ranked schools and all have amazing amenities. Several of my clients have moved into these areas and are so happy. Good luck and let me know if I can help!
FYI a Ralph's Famous Italian Ice just opened in Wesley Chapel! Yes, THAT Ralph's!

Old 04-18-2018, 10:52 AM

110 posts, read 156,123 times
All great neighborhoods! We used to live in Providence Downs and it took us a LONG time to sell our house because of the cut through traffic so you may want to be aware of that. Otherwise, all the places you listed are wonderful neighborhoods with great schools.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:33 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,973,074 times
They are all similar custom neighborhoods, which is probably why you chose them. Similar price point and they have all been around to be considered mature. All will be Marvin schools, except for Skyecroft which is Weddington schools.

It's been a while, but I think these neighborhoods do NOT have sidewalks. It might be me but I always felt it was more "family friendly" when a neighborhood has sidewalks. Kingsmead feels like an extension of Hunter Oaks so it might have sidewalks - can't really remember.

I can't speak specifically to the amount of kids, but it all will be very similar clientele and demographic living in these neighborhoods. I don't think there's really that much to distinguish them. I haven't been in all the clubhouses or pools, not even sure they all have them. Obviously Firethorne if you're a golfer will have the best overall amenities. I see plenty of kids playing golf there.

Location within the neighborhood should be a factor, like the warning about PD and Man O War used as a cut through. Although, I think they are putting gates up? Not sure. Good question for you to ask your RE agent.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:18 AM

110 posts, read 156,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
They are all similar custom neighborhoods, which is probably why you chose them. Similar price point and they have all been around to be considered mature. All will be Marvin schools, except for Skyecroft which is Weddington schools.

It's been a while, but I think these neighborhoods do NOT have sidewalks. It might be me but I always felt it was more "family friendly" when a neighborhood has sidewalks. Kingsmead feels like an extension of Hunter Oaks so it might have sidewalks - can't really remember.

I can't speak specifically to the amount of kids, but it all will be very similar clientele and demographic living in these neighborhoods. I don't think there's really that much to distinguish them. I haven't been in all the clubhouses or pools, not even sure they all have them. Obviously Firethorne if you're a golfer will have the best overall amenities. I see plenty of kids playing golf there.

Location within the neighborhood should be a factor, like the warning about PD and Man O War used as a cut through. Although, I think they are putting gates up? Not sure. Good question for you to ask your RE agent.

Yes, you are correct about the no sidewalks and Providence Downs is not enjoyable now with no sidewalks and all the traffic. I "heard" the gates got stalled because Marvin decided allowing them up would make a traffic nightmare for the town. However...I "heard" did not verify.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:18 AM

5,413 posts, read 5,900,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNicole View Post
Yes, you are correct about the no sidewalks and Providence Downs is not enjoyable now with no sidewalks and all the traffic. I "heard" the gates got stalled because Marvin decided allowing them up would make a traffic nightmare for the town. However...I "heard" did not verify.
I wonder if you can indiscriminately gate a road once it is public property.
I think when you gate a road the HOA takes over all maintenance and upkeep for the road, probably causing an assessment to increase the fund balance of the HOA in order to cover the additional costs.

Maybe the Village idi.... er, elders are debating that point before issuing judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte