U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 05:06 PM
Status: "A lie repeated 1,000 times does not become the truth." (set 22 days ago)

4,865 posts, read 2,958,630 times

Advertisements

I'm posing this question out of personal curiosity to see what you all think about the Lynx light rail line from Uptown to UNCC and how this will change the North Tryon Street area, which hasn't gotten a lot of love with people wanting to move to the area, crime issues (especially certain areas like Hidden Valley), etc.

Will this entire area start attracting lots of new development? Or seeing revitalization of what's already there?

Is there a part of this area that will see more growth, or a part that will have a harder time?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 05:10 PM

4,420 posts, read 3,961,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I'm posing this question out of personal curiosity to see what you all think about the Lynx light rail line from Uptown to UNCC and how this will change the North Tryon Street area, which hasn't gotten a lot of love with people wanting to move to the area, crime issues (especially certain areas like Hidden Valley), etc.

Will this entire area start attracting lots of new development? Or seeing revitalization of what's already there?

Is there a part of this area that will see more growth, or a part that will have a harder time?

I don’t think anytime soon. In the future. Optimist Park, Belmont, NoDa, Plaza, Plaza Shamrock will be revitalized first.

Sugar Creek and 36th Streets heading towards Tryon will probably get some love and revitalization though

Old 04-12-2018, 06:41 AM

1,083 posts, read 898,018 times
I think it will be very impactful for development inside of Sugar Creek. This area will have a similar demographic as Southend. I think there will also be quite a bit of development near UNCC. Over many years development will spread from the two ends and meet in the middle.

The low land values for at least a few more years provides an opportunity for transit-linked affordable housing. If Charlotte partnered to build several 5-6 story complexes with very small units and no frills (pools, dog spas, gyms, etc.), they could put a real dent in the affordable housing shortage. They could make them even more affordable by reducing the parking space requirements.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:49 AM

467 posts, read 1,364,591 times
Like every single commercial parcel along all the major corridors near the rail have either had offers, are under contract, are already under a rezoning petition, or are in some form of negotiation with developers. The entire area is already in the process of transformation. It's not an IF at all. It's a done deal.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:43 PM
Status: "A lie repeated 1,000 times does not become the truth." (set 22 days ago)

Thanks for the responses so far! One development that had me thinking about this is these apartments between Tom Hunter Rd. and the I-85 connector:

https://goo.gl/maps/fPXPP6q5DJJ2

I really don't see these going here if it weren't for the Lynx line and that has not really been a hot area of Charlotte from what I'm aware of. But as Pfalz said, there is a lack of affordable housing and these are marketed as luxury apartments in a location that's not typically associated with luxury apartments.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the responses so far! One development that had me thinking about this is these apartments between Tom Hunter Rd. and the I-85 connector:

https://goo.gl/maps/fPXPP6q5DJJ2

I really don't see these going here if it weren't for the Lynx line and that has not really been a hot area of Charlotte from what I'm aware of. But as Pfalz said, there is a lack of affordable housing and these are marketed as luxury apartments in a location that's not typically associated with luxury apartments.
The area is gentrifying. I would never pay those prices to live in that area, but I suppose people will. I'd much rather see cookie cutter "luxury" apartments than hear about another shooting near Hidden Valley. I look forward to the transformation. Of course after it's done, and the crime ridden area is gone, people will complain about how it's not affordable anymore and how it lost it's historic charm. (Wesley Heights, Cherry, etc)

There is no building of "affordable housing" anymore because it was determined that the concentration of low income residents creates high crime, and so the new model is to incentivize developers to incorporate a small percentage of low income units into new housing complexes which will help spread affordable housing around different areas of the city, thus cutting down on unnecessary commutes causing traffic and pollution. However, I don't know if those projects are happening anymore either. In my opinion, there is never an affordable housing problem, but rather an income and economic problem. The city should focus its efforts on diverse job creation and the affordable housing problem goes away. If it wastes its time on affordable housing then it still doesn't have the jobs and residents have to pay higher taxes towards subsidized housing.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademarked View Post
The area is gentrifying. I would never pay those prices to live in that area, but I suppose people will. I'd much rather see cookie cutter "luxury" apartments than hear about another shooting near Hidden Valley. I look forward to the transformation. Of course after it's done, and the crime ridden area is gone, people will complain about how it's not affordable anymore and how it lost it's historic charm. (Wesley Heights, Cherry, etc)

There is no building of "affordable housing" anymore because it was determined that the concentration of low income residents creates high crime, and so the new model is to incentivize developers to incorporate a small percentage of low income units into new housing complexes which will help spread affordable housing around different areas of the city, thus cutting down on unnecessary commutes causing traffic and pollution. However, I don't know if those projects are happening anymore either. In my opinion, there is never an affordable housing problem, but rather an income and economic problem. The city should focus its efforts on diverse job creation and the affordable housing problem goes away. If it wastes its time on affordable housing then it still doesn't have the jobs and residents have to pay higher taxes towards subsidized housing.
The entire post is well stated. The only thing I would add in reference to the bolded section is that gentrification tends to shift people who act undesirably around to a different new spot. And then it becomes someone else's problem.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
The entire post is well stated. The only thing I would add in reference to the bolded section is that gentrification tends to shift people who act undesirably around to a different new spot. And then it becomes someone else's problem.
That's exactly right. What I've seen is that the shifting around has pushed a lot of the crime out of the charlotte city limits to the outlying towns like Shelby, Hickory, etc.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:21 AM

1,196 posts, read 664,218 times
It will logistically help spread crime. Or at least make crime less concentrated in one area.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:19 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,174,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademarked View Post
That's exactly right. What I've seen is that the shifting around has pushed a lot of the crime out of the charlotte city limits to the outlying towns like Shelby, Hickory, etc.
I don't think people that were committing crime in uptown Charlotte have moved their efforts to Shelby (45-50 minutes away) and Hickory (over an hour away).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte