Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 09:05 AM

9 posts, read 44,565 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are interested in moving out of the cold north and have been looking into both of these areas.

We visited Charleston recently and LOVED it. We were there in January though so there weren't too many tourists. We love the idea of being near the beach, but is it worth the palmetto bugs and hurricanes? I think if I saw one of those flying roaches in my house I would pass out!

We're thinking about checking out Charlotte as well. My husband is a physician and we don't think he'll have a problem finding work, but I'm a little worried about finding a job in Charleston. I'm in corporate recruiting and I've heard the job market isn't so great there? We're in our mid 30's and no kids yet, but looking to start a family in the next few years. We basically want to be in a place we can enjoy outdoor activities for a good part of the year and some decent nightlife, character and culture.

I'm interested in hearing any opinions from those who have experienced both cities... Would you choose one over the other? Why?

What are the pros and cons of each?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 09:31 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
I can't compare the two cities - they are soooo different. Charleston is one of my two favorite spots on the planet - but I don't know that I would want to live there full-time.

But I can tell you this: many physicians in CLT move here and buy second homes/condos in Charleston (or nearby - Kiawah, for ex.)

As for Palmetto bugs, they are here, too - every region has some kind of "critter" that can be annoying. However, extermination works fine, LOL.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:41 AM

20 posts, read 55,254 times
I lived in Charleston SC for a while, and absolutely loved it. The weather is great, people are very friendly, and there is a lot to do outdoors (if you like the beach or walking around a great historic city). I noticed after a while that Charleston starts to feel kinda "small". You have been to most of the bars, and done most of the activities the town offers. Charlotte has a lot more to offer in regards to cultural events, but is less laid back.I had to leave Charleston because the company i worked for went out of business...if that wasnt the case, I never would have left.
You are also talking about 2 totally different lifestyles. Ultra laid back Charleston, or a moderately busy city life in Charlotte. That choice is up to you...fortunately I like both, so I am content with either city. (these are the only 2 cities I decided between when moving from Maryland for various reasons)
IMO you cant lose... 2 great cities with lots to offer...

Old 03-27-2008, 10:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Here is two more threads comparing the two cities

Charlotte Vs Charleston
Charlotte vs. Charleston: The FACTS?

Old 03-27-2008, 11:23 AM

355 posts, read 993,013 times
Charlotte!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-27-2008, 01:17 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
In some respects, it sounds like the Charleston area might be a better fit for you, and in others, Charlotte would be better. When you talk about outdoor activites, character, and culture, Charleston surpasses Charlotte. However, I would think that you would have an easier time finding a job in corporate recruiting in Charlotte, and I think Charlotte might only slightly edge out Charleston in terms of being family friendly, but they are pretty comparable in those respects.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:48 PM

620 posts, read 2,119,097 times
I would go with Charlotte. Nightlife, dining, entertainment gets better every year and the city is always changing (for the better). Charleston is only about 3 or so hours away.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:26 PM

69 posts, read 356,638 times
I had to make that choice, Charlotte or Charleston, this time two years ago. I chose Charleston, but the overall decision was due to the job-related factors, not the choice of one city over another.

You mentioned the beach, which I did consider as a plus for Charleston. Just keep in mind that the recreational choices you make when you live somewhere are different than those you make as a tourist. For example, I could leave my house right now and be on the beach in 15 minutes. However, I've only been maybe six times in a year and a half. Don't get me wrong, I do love the beach, but I'd rather walk downtown or in the large park closer to my house. So if you consider yourself a potential regular beach-goer, keep that one as a plus for Charleston.

The downtowns (or should I say "uptown" for Charlotte) are very different. Charlotte's is modern with many tall buildings. Charleston's has old homes and the emphasis is more on historic preservation and the associated tourism.

Except for not being close to beaches, Charlotte is a great location, close to the mountains and Asheville, upstate SC, the Triad, and the Triangle. Charleston is close to a variety of beaches and within easy day-trip distance of Savannah.

The biggest difference that comes to mind is weather. If you like all four seasons, with snow two or three times a year, the weather of central NC is very nice. Charleston's winters are great. It's usually in the 60s during the day. The down side of Charleston's weather is that you don't get an extended fall with all the colors. September here is still summer, and October goes back and forth between summer and fall weather. To me, the best season in Charleston is spring.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:57 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,991 times
Have actually lived in both places - loved them both.

I would ... live in Charlotte and vacation in Charleston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte