Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 10:37 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,994 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone knows or is a real estate agent in the Charlotte area who have been residents here for a while and have no problem helping people with finding rentals? I am looking for someone who has a lot of knowledge of various neighborhoods and where to rent and where to avoid. Right now, I am going to have to pay a hefty fee (2 months rent) to break my lease because I ended up living next to a convicted felon who is out on bail for a stolen firearm, meth and stolen property charges. Just last year he was arrested (and, mostly likely, convicted) of another felony charge of drug dealing. He is also mentally unstable and addicted to meth. His rap sheet is so long it's more like what has he not done, rather than what has he done.

So, needless to say, I couldn't end up with much worse of a neighbor and now need to get the heck out of my place. My goal is to find another place in the Charlotte area $1200 to $1500/mo that would have a higher chance (I know there is no guarantee) in being in a safe, quiet area away from meth dealers, seasoned criminals, thieves and violent felons (my neighbor is all of these). Yes, I thought Huntersville, where I live, was a safe area, but perhaps Huntersville is really only truly upscale once you get to the lake area or live in the more prestigious and affluent areas. I live in a middle class subdivision that my other neighbor (who was here from the beginning) told me has been going downhill. She tells me the cops really don't do very much, HOA is worthless and lot of renters have been moving in who cause lots of trouble and have driven away some of the better homeowners and residents due to lack of help from the police or HOA. I've been very disappointed with the Huntersville cops and they seem to only devote their time to protecting the more prestigious members of the community. Needless to say, I don't think I ever want to live in Huntersville, unless I become a millionaire and buy some nice property by the lake.

Anyhow, I know my budget is low for the Charlotte area, but I need a place over 1200 sq ft, because I operate a home business and have way more stuff than I wish to part with. Bigger is better, but I sure would struggle going smaller. I work from home and would be willing to live in any area that is within 30 minutes from the city center. There is a chance that my business ventures will flop and I may need to find work in the city, so I cannot be too far away. As well, I do enjoy the amenities the city has to offer. I may have to get a storage place anyhow, that I think may cost me $100-$200/mo in Charlotte area. The storage units in Charlotte do look more reasonably priced than what I had to deal with in Seattle, so that could be an option if I am truly priced out of my desired size.

Anyway, I had a good real estate agent who helped me find this rental. I don't blame her at all for having the neighbors I ended up with. She had no clue. I do know that many agents do rentals on side and spend most of their time doing sales. So, I am open to finding various agents, some who may even spend a little more care on the rental side and have a deep knowledge of Charlotte area.

Any agent who helps me would probably also be the first one I would go to when I decided to purchase property which I am hoping to do in the next couple years once I get settled, stable and learn the Charlotte area more. I'm sure glad I didn't buy the house I am living in now! I feel sorry for the many homeowners who are stuck near the slimebag I live next to. I was told by my neighbor the last homeowner here actually sold their house below market to escape because they feared these neighbors so much.

Anyhow, anybody who knows any real estate agents or any real estate agents here who can help with the listings and showings and give neighborhood advice would be appreciated. THe last agent I had actually had the listings go to my phone and then I was able to setup an appointment for viewings. We literally viewed like 4 or 5 listings consecutively, which was great. That service was invaluable, as trying to schedule showings for each different property management company could be cumbersome.

I will start looking for places probably in a week or so after I give my 30 day notice and sign and pay my Lease Buy Out agreement.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 08-10-2018 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 10:54 AM

751 posts, read 934,123 times
Most newer real estate agents are open to taking on renting customers to gain a future client base. Just cold-call any popular real estate agency that's located in an area of town that you're considering and explain your situation and they can put you in touch with someone.

Is there any reason, if you were happy with your original agent, that you're not going back to use her again?

Also, good advice for anyone is that before renting/purchasing to walk around the neighborhood and stop the residents that are out and about how they feel about their neighborhood and if they know of any issues with the home you're considering. You'd be surprised how forthcoming some people will be.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
Most newer real estate agents are open to taking on renting customers to gain a future client base. Just cold-call any popular real estate agency that's located in an area of town that you're considering and explain your situation and they can put you in touch with someone.

Is there any reason, if you were happy with your original agent, that you're not going back to use her again?

Also, good advice for anyone is that before renting/purchasing to walk around the neighborhood and stop the residents that are out and about how they feel about their neighborhood and if they know of any issues with the home you're considering. You'd be surprised how forthcoming some people will be.
My original agent now has a job at a larger real estate company and told me she is strictly devoted to home sales, so I don't think she will even help with rentals anymore.

I just had another agent contact me on city data and devoted a lot of time to explaining her what I want . She told me she had bunch of time to show me stuff and then flaked out on me. I am really p*ssed off and starting to get disgruntled with real estate agents, altogether. I guess I may just have to do it the old fashion way and look on craigslist and zillow, myself. I am thinking most real estate agents don't really want to find you a rental, but are just looking to make a little quick cash on the side.

I am still looking for a reliable real estate agent who can be flexible and schedule showings, but so many of the mare flaky and will waste your valuable time.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:36 AM

339 posts, read 715,492 times
Default Faye McLamb

I worked with Faye McLamb on a rental and then after used her for buying a home. I'm not sure if she still shows rentals but you can ask! Good luck!

Old 08-15-2018, 07:31 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows or is a real estate agent in the Charlotte area who have been residents here for a while and have no problem helping people with finding rentals? I am looking for someone who has a lot of knowledge of various neighborhoods and where to rent and where to avoid. Right now, I am going to have to pay a hefty fee (2 months rent) to break my lease because I ended up living next to a convicted felon who is out on bail for a stolen firearm, meth and stolen property charges. Just last year he was arrested (and, mostly likely, convicted) of another felony charge of drug dealing. He is also mentally unstable and addicted to meth. His rap sheet is so long it's more like what has he not done, rather than what has he done.

So, needless to say, I couldn't end up with much worse of a neighbor and now need to get the heck out of my place. My goal is to find another place in the Charlotte area $1200 to $1500/mo that would have a higher chance (I know there is no guarantee) in being in a safe, quiet area away from meth dealers, seasoned criminals, thieves and violent felons (my neighbor is all of these). Yes, I thought Huntersville, where I live, was a safe area, but perhaps Huntersville is really only truly upscale once you get to the lake area or live in the more prestigious and affluent areas. I live in a middle class subdivision that my other neighbor (who was here from the beginning) told me has been going downhill. She tells me the cops really don't do very much, HOA is worthless and lot of renters have been moving in who cause lots of trouble and have driven away some of the better homeowners and residents due to lack of help from the police or HOA. I've been very disappointed with the Huntersville cops and they seem to only devote their time to protecting the more prestigious members of the community. Needless to say, I don't think I ever want to live in Huntersville, unless I become a millionaire and buy some nice property by the lake.

Anyhow, I know my budget is low for the Charlotte area, but I need a place over 1200 sq ft, because I operate a home business and have way more stuff than I wish to part with. Bigger is better, but I sure would struggle going smaller. I work from home and would be willing to live in any area that is within 30 minutes from the city center. There is a chance that my business ventures will flop and I may need to find work in the city, so I cannot be too far away. As well, I do enjoy the amenities the city has to offer. I may have to get a storage place anyhow, that I think may cost me $100-$200/mo in Charlotte area. The storage units in Charlotte do look more reasonably priced than what I had to deal with in Seattle, so that could be an option if I am truly priced out of my desired size.

Anyway, I had a good real estate agent who helped me find this rental. I don't blame her at all for having the neighbors I ended up with. She had no clue. I do know that many agents do rentals on side and spend most of their time doing sales. So, I am open to finding various agents, some who may even spend a little more care on the rental side and have a deep knowledge of Charlotte area.

Any agent who helps me would probably also be the first one I would go to when I decided to purchase property which I am hoping to do in the next couple years once I get settled, stable and learn the Charlotte area more. I'm sure glad I didn't buy the house I am living in now! I feel sorry for the many homeowners who are stuck near the slimebag I live next to. I was told by my neighbor the last homeowner here actually sold their house below market to escape because they feared these neighbors so much.

Anyhow, anybody who knows any real estate agents or any real estate agents here who can help with the listings and showings and give neighborhood advice would be appreciated. THe last agent I had actually had the listings go to my phone and then I was able to setup an appointment for viewings. We literally viewed like 4 or 5 listings consecutively, which was great. That service was invaluable, as trying to schedule showings for each different property management company could be cumbersome.

I will start looking for places probably in a week or so after I give my 30 day notice and sign and pay my Lease Buy Out agreement.

Have you discussed this situation with your landlord ? Maybe your landlord is not allowing that tenant to come back to the property -- or has the tenant already moved back in ? I don't see why you will have to pay a penalty to leave due to the situation. I'd also consult a lawyer for a few hundred dollars rather than pay a $2,000 or so penalty thru no fault of your own.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:31 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Have you discussed this situation with your landlord ? Maybe your landlord is not allowing that tenant to come back to the property -- or has the tenant already moved back in ? I don't see why you will have to pay a penalty to leave due to the situation. I'd also consult a lawyer for a few hundred dollars rather than pay a $2,000 or so penalty thru no fault of your own.
If everyone could break their lease because they didn’t like their neighbor then all landlords would go out of business.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:

The person next door is a homeowner who is allowing her multiple convicted felon son who she bailed out of jail last month to live in her detached garage.. I'm not in an apartment situation. That would have been much simpler. There is a whole other thread on this forum where I devote time talking about it on the Charlotte forum. Last month he was busted with a stolen firearm, meth, stolen property, larceny and resisting arrest. Bail just cost mom about $2,500 (10% of measly $25,000 bail). In Oregon (and mostly Washington too), this guy would have never been able to get out of jail and mom would have not afforded his bail. Why? Because in addition to this last arrest and charged with a felony in Huntersville last year for dealing meth. And, prior to that he has had over 3 felony convictions, among many others. He is hardly just a misbehaved neighbor and the fact that he is not a tenant of the same landlord and living with his mother who neither the HOA or police will do anything about puts me in a situation where I will have to challenge him to a fight which could end up getting quite bloody, could result in the lost of life. He is mentally unstable, has attacked other people and damaged neighbor's property. It is probably not worth the $3000 for the trouble I am paying to get out of here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
If everyone could break their lease because they didn’t like their neighbor then all landlords would go out of business.
And, if landlords didn't buy super cheap property that the homeowner sold because they feared for their life of the bad neighbors and didn't bother disclosing it to the renter, since North Carolina don't require you to, then maybe tenants wouldn't need to break their lease.

By the way, what is the point of having an HOA when the HOA doesn't do jack squat? Oh yeah, the cops don't seem to come out for most calls unless you hound them. People have been calling the cops on him for years and they don't seem to do much. Where I am from, he would have had his a$$ handed to him a long time ago and the cops would have not even been needed considering how much trouble he is. Although, I know the cops would have put him in his place before the locals would (and for his own good).

Not really what I would consider just a typical bad neighbor.. There are bad neighbors and then there are bad neighbors. If you have to know you live next to a sex offender why not be notified you live next to a multiple-convicted felon who is out on bail? Especially now since stolen guns and hard drugs are in the mix!

----
P.S.

Anyhow, I should update people with the fact that I have decided to leave Charlotte and move to Denver, Colorado. I thank people for their help and appreciate those who took their time to try to assist me. I'm thinking with the prices in Charlotte and my lack of understanding of the city and lack of knowing any one here, I will do better in Denver. The prices of desirable areas in both cities are becoming about equal now and it is easier for me to figure out what is good and bad in Denver, just like with Seattle and Portland.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 08-15-2018 at 11:33 PM..

Old 08-16-2018, 05:44 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
Good luck. Pretty sure Denver is more expensive than Charlotte.

Just curious, what specifically “disappointed” you about the Huntersville PD? That they wouldn’t give you all of your neighbor’s personal details? Did you call to report a specific crime or behavior that you actually witnessed? Again, it seems most of your complaints against the neighbor are mostly just past stories and the only thing that happened while you were there was noise.

If you are in an IT-related field and want to try a new city without moving across the country again you may want to look into the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:47 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
The person next door is a homeowner who is allowing her multiple convicted felon son who she bailed out of jail last month to live in her detached garage.. I'm not in an apartment situation. That would have been much simpler. There is a whole other thread on this forum where I devote time talking about it on the Charlotte forum. Last month he was busted with a stolen firearm, meth, stolen property, larceny and resisting arrest. Bail just cost mom about $2,500 (10% of measly $25,000 bail). In Oregon (and mostly Washington too), this guy would have never been able to get out of jail and mom would have not afforded his bail. Why? Because in addition to this last arrest and charged with a felony in Huntersville last year for dealing meth. And, prior to that he has had over 3 felony convictions, among many others. He is hardly just a misbehaved neighbor and the fact that he is not a tenant of the same landlord and living with his mother who neither the HOA or police will do anything about puts me in a situation where I will have to challenge him to a fight which could end up getting quite bloody, could result in the lost of life. He is mentally unstable, has attacked other people and damaged neighbor's property. It is probably not worth the $3000 for the trouble I am paying to get out of here.

And, if landlords didn't buy super cheap property that the homeowner sold because they feared for their life of the bad neighbors and didn't bother disclosing it to the renter, since North Carolina don't require you to, then maybe tenants wouldn't need to break their lease.

By the way, what is the point of having an HOA when the HOA doesn't do jack squat? Oh yeah, the cops don't seem to come out for most calls unless you hound them. People have been calling the cops on him for years and they don't seem to do much. Where I am from, he would have had his a$$ handed to him a long time ago and the cops would have not even been needed considering how much trouble he is. Although, I know the cops would have put him in his place before the locals would (and for his own good).

Not really what I would consider just a typical bad neighbor.. There are bad neighbors and then there are bad neighbors. If you have to know you live next to a sex offender why not be notified you live next to a multiple-convicted felon who is out on bail? Especially now since stolen guns and hard drugs are in the mix!

----
P.S.

Anyhow, I should update people with the fact that I have decided to leave Charlotte and move to Denver, Colorado. I thank people for their help and appreciate those who took their time to try to assist me. I'm thinking with the prices in Charlotte and my lack of understanding of the city and lack of knowing any one here, I will do better in Denver. The prices of desirable areas in both cities are becoming about equal now and it is easier for me to figure out what is good and bad in Denver, just like with Seattle and Portland.

Your above post was not clear about 'next door', which many would construe as 'an apartment', when actually the guy is/was living in the garage. Maybe you should choose a better neighborhood next time around, and do some due diligence relative to your neighbors' situations. Best wishes.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Your above post was not clear about 'next door', which many would construe as 'an apartment', when actually the guy is/was living in the garage. Maybe you should choose a better neighborhood next time around, and do some due diligence relative to your neighbors' situations. Best wishes.
I apologize for being so vague in my original message and you are right, I did not explain myself well in that post of the situation. In fact, when I read your post I was confused and almost thought you were responding to the last thread I made where I actually was discussing the situation in detail. Again, I am sorry. ANd, yes, when I go to Denver, I may even consider staying at a monthly rental or extended stay hotel if I am not 100% feeling comfortable about a property. This place I was far from 100% , but just thought by the nice looks of the area it was good enough place. I also did look at the crime statistics and they appear low, but Huntersville PD has a strange way of reporting crime as I have learned and I do believe it is grossly under-reported. IF I do have the luxury of renting a nice single family home, condo or any type of home-owner situation, I will look at the backgrounds of all the potential neighbors I have to see if they have any recent arrests. I'm not sure how hard it is to get court records in Colorado, in North Carolina it's very hard.. Thankfully, this neighbor moved from a state where it is quite easy to obtain the records. Sadly, I didn't check before I moved in, but after! Yes, still smacking myself on the head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Good luck. Pretty sure Denver is more expensive than Charlotte.
Just curious, what specifically “disappointed” you about the Huntersville PD? That they wouldn’t give you all of your neighbor’s personal details? Did you call to report a specific crime or behavior that you actually witnessed? Again, it seems most of your complaints against the neighbor are mostly just past stories and the only thing that happened while you were there was noise.

If you are in an IT-related field and want to try a new city without moving across the country again you may want to look into the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area.
I've never talked to a police department who was so reluctant to help assist a law-abiding citizen who was so distressed. They told me there is no way in HUntersville to get any police reports or any records of calls or arrests. He said the best I could do is get court records from the court which you have to go down to the Mecklenburg County Court in person. Really, I was appalled at how little help they would give. I bet the millionaires by the lake don't receive the same treatment. He also told me I was worrying about nothing that there are criminals everywhere. Really? A police officer telling me criminals are everywhere. Yes, I agree. But, some places have more criminals and more dangerous criminals than others. If criminals are just everywhere what is the point of me paying so much tax money to pay for his job? I mean, they just arrest them and let them out of jail the next day. Then they tell you not to worry about the armed felon who is mentally disturbed, addicted to meth and goes into rages and terrorizes the community. Yes, just dial 9-1-1, like everyone else does and have the cops come out and do nothing. At least, they can save me my tax money. No point in having cops arrest criminals when they get let out the next day to be right near your young children while they are outside playing. My neighbors 12- year old daughter and other neighbor's 5 year old son play right outside this armed methhead's garage. It's one thing if he was never caught (innocent until proven guilty), but he has a longer rap sheet than your average grocery receipt. If they would allow citizen's arrest in this state (it is illegal to restrain a criminal here, lame!), I and others in the community could be more vigilant and save the cops some labor. I'd be more than happy to volunteer, trust me!

Phil, I think I am just going to give up on North Carolina . I hear Raleigh/Durham is pretty much just like a Northeast city and there is no native North Carolinan people there. I really like Southern culture, but living in an East Coast style city (with more humidity and heat) is not really what I desire. I also hear Raleigh is very suburban and not really a place to go if you are a single guy without kids. It is pretty much a family oriented city. Durham I hear has too much crime and considering my situation here, moving somewhere else with even more crime and where I don't know a soul and have no clue of neighborhoods would be a risky venture. The Triangle does have probably the best IT market in the Southeast, but considering my experience here, I may just end up in the same situation there.

As far as cost of living, it is a gross misconception that Denver is more expensive than Charlotte or Raleigh, anymore. Yes, Charlotte and Raleigh areas may have cheaper housing than Denver, but I have looked at the areas of this cheap housing and they are pretty crime-ridden and undesirable. I have compared the nice and upscale areas of Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville to Denver and actually the upscale areas of these cities are even more expensive from what I see then in Denver. In Denver, there is not a lot of cheap housing, but the desirable neighborhoods are not confined to the super luxurious neighborhoods either. It is somewhat even across the board. South Park, Ballantyne, Dillard, for example, are actually more expensive than most neighborhoods in Denver.

Just look at zillow prices in Denver and Charlotte. Every rental house is about 10-25% over its "Zestimate" price in Charlotte, whereas many rental houses in Denver are about equal to 10% under the "Zestimate" . That shows that Charlotte's housing market is exploding way too fast like Seattle's did back 5 years ago. Back then Seattle was actually equal in price to Denver.
There is a severe shortage of housing and prices are rising so fast and I don't see an end in sight. In fact, with the way things are going in Charlotte I am almost positive it will be at the Seattle levels soon enough. Charlotte is becoming the Los Angeles of the East Coast world with all the strip malls, sprawl, endless subdivision development and desire for nice warm sunny environment that is more moderate temperatures than the brutal ones of Florida. And, there are mountains and beach nearby (kind of nearby). Sound familiar? This was Los Angeles in the 60s and 70s with huge migration of Midwest and East Coast people, but Charlotte is much closer. As of now, I cannot even find a house even 30 miles out of the city center in my price range in a good area. The apartments I am looking for that look nice are over $1500/mo. What's the point? I thought Charlotte was a place I could save money, but really it's now another "COOL, TRENDY SPOT" to be. $1500/mo I could get a very nice apartment with granite countertops in the Lodo of Denver as well. State taxes are about equal.. Utilities are cheaper in Colorado.

Denver's software market is about twice the size of Charlotte's and probably on par with the Triangle, although the IT market of Charlotte is growing fast; but , so are the prices!

Last edited by RotseCherut; 08-16-2018 at 03:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte