Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 11:59 PM

167 posts, read 689,598 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving to the Charlotte area (Davidson, Cornelius) next year. My wife is a teacher with 25yrs experience and a masters degree. We know the salaries are lower than NJ, but my question is how hard is it for a teacher with her experience to get a job in the CM school system? Also, would she have to start on step 1 or will they credit her for her experience? I have heard they are in need of teachers. She can teach elementary to HS...in varying subjects (i.e.-Math, Social Studies).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 08:27 AM

607 posts, read 553,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipbags View Post
My wife and I are considering moving to the Charlotte area (Davidson, Cornelius) next year. My wife is a teacher with 25yrs experience and a masters degree. We know the salaries are lower than NJ, but my question is how hard is it for a teacher with her experience to get a job in the CM school system? Also, would she have to start on step 1 or will they credit her for her experience? I have heard they are in need of teachers. She can teach elementary to HS...in varying subjects (i.e.-Math, Social Studies).

Thanks!
She'd be able to get a job easily. I'm not sure how the compensation would be dealt with though in light of her substantial experience.

I would take some time to read up on the history of the Charlotte public school system (CMS). Many schools are in poor shape with inadequate funding and no parental support. If you haven't worked in similar schools you might be in for quite a shock.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:54 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:

Thanks!

She's coming to a state with school systems that rank 40th in the nation. They just cut the budget another 3.2 mil this year and have been on a stead decline for the past 11 years. They're barely better than Mississippi and Louisiana. The teachers actually shut down school last year for a day to march on the capital due to such low pay. Fort Mill would be a better choice.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:10 PM

Are teaching jobs available in the Fort Mill area?

Old 08-27-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Are teaching jobs available in the Fort Mill area?

You would have to look on their site. Its a growing community but it is in SC. Its the first town over the border. Very close still to the city.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:44 PM

We do not want to be in Charlotte per se...looking more at the towns north of there...

Old 08-27-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
We do not want to be in Charlotte per se...looking more at the towns north of there...

Well it all depends.. most places are not "towns" per se.. more like urban sprawl. Most places have no distinct difference from one place to the next other than a handful of different locations. North of Charlotte has cancer cluster issues. A lot people avoiding the area right now.. Particularly Huntersville, some of Concord and Mooresville. There aren't really distinct town feels here.. I'd describe it as mostly extensions of the city.. without the tall buildings.. Again there are only a handful of places that will have that individual town feel but I'm not particularly fond of living in any of them..

Also DO NOT live inside the 485 loop.. That's the big circle of highway that goes around the city.. Its the highly undesirable areas of Charlotte. West Charlotte particularly will bring the issue of constant airplane noise.. hundreds of planes a day flying in right over the tree tops. Some people like Matthews area.. We found it too far out and because traffic is horrendous here it wasn't ideal. I'd find jobs first before you start looking for housing. To give you some perspective, we live 7 miles on the dot from my husbands job and it takes him at least 45 min on a good day to get home.. Thats non-highway miles. A literal straight shot home.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:47 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post

Also DO NOT live inside the 485 loop.. That's the big circle of highway that goes around the city.. Its the highly undesirable areas of Charlotte. West Charlotte particularly will bring the issue of constant airplane noise.. hundreds of planes a day flying in right over the tree tops. Some people like Matthews area.. We found it too far out and because traffic is horrendous here it wasn't ideal. I'd find jobs first before you start looking for housing. To give you some perspective, we live 7 miles on the dot from my husbands job and it takes him at least 45 min on a good day to get home.. Thats non-highway miles. A literal straight shot home.
This is a really uninformed opinion. There are many excellent schools including nationally ranked schools inside the 485 loop. Basically you are writing off most of the county. Providence and Myers Park high schools are both within the loop in addition to other fine schools. Many of the city's mover and shakers CHOOSE to send their kids to public schools inside the loop when they could afford private. It's anti-city prejudice that's all.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
This is a really uninformed opinion. There are many excellent schools including nationally ranked schools inside the 485 loop. Basically you are writing off most of the county. Providence and Myers Park high schools are both within the loop in addition to other fine schools. Many of the city's mover and shakers CHOOSE to send their kids to public schools inside the loop when they could afford private. It's anti-city prejudice that's all.

I'm assuming on a teachers budget they're not buying in Myers Park... that is for people who have 1.2 mil to blow on a second home. It would be absurd to live in Huntersville and drive to Myers Park. .Do people do it? Sure but from a pure peace of mind point I don't feel like the OP wants to drive 45 min to an hour + ONE way.. Thats not even factoring in rain, ice, or snow. Add another hour..

Old 08-28-2018, 05:00 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
Myers Park HS has a large zone which includes more than Myers Park including the Candlewyk and Olde Providence neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte