Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:15 AM

9 posts, read 27,934 times

Advertisements

To Mike:

Do you like Charlotte? Do you guys miss Brooklyn? I don't even know where the University area is...we will be going to Charlotte for the first time this weekend. Very excited about it.

What made you guys decide to move to Charlotte? Did you have jobs lined up before the move?

Last edited by BrooklynNYCMom; 04-08-2008 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Sorry - didn't say who the response was for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 08:17 AM

9 posts, read 27,934 times
To Nazira:

Hi there. It's good to hear that you are moving to Charlotte in the near future as well. We are still in the process of sorting out the logistics.

Where in Brooklyn do you currently live? Do you know where you will be moving to in Charlotte? How did you make your selection?

Old 04-08-2008, 08:39 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
we are from brooklyn lived in staten island then NJ, now here we love it here couldnt imagine not living here there are things we dont like but overall its a great quality of life compared to where we come from..I grew up in Sheepshead Bay Area, and DH in the Flatbush/Midwood area..we have been down here almost a year...I will say I miss my bagels, and my deli and some other things, but again it was time for a change.

good luck

Old 04-08-2008, 09:20 AM

158 posts, read 543,687 times
BrooklynNYCMom, we are currently in Sheepshead Bay area. We moved from another country 15 years ago, and Brooklyn NY is the only place in US where I have ever lived, so it is scary, but I'm hoping for the best. It's just not possible for us to ever buy a house here, and it's very important for me to live in my own house someday. We will be renting for 6 months to a year, then hopefully will buy a house or condo. I really like South part of Charlotte, so I'm planning to rent and buy there as well, but I also like Huntersville, and plan to explore more of it when we move.

Please write after you visit, I really want to know how you liked Charlotte.

Wishing you all the best!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:46 AM

184 posts, read 467,391 times
Hi, Check out: Plaza-Midwood (young professionals, more edgy, bohemian), Elizabeth (older homes, quaint, family-oriented), NoDa (arts district) or Dilworth (family-oriented & young professionals). They all meet your criteria of being within a 30 minute drive from downtown and within walking distance of restaurants & shops (Plaza-Midwood, NoDa & Dilworth have the best selection in that respect.) These areas are going to be the most similar to Park Slope then say, Ballantyne or Lake Norman.

There are also plenty of new, residential highrises in downtown Charlotte that's worth checking out.

Good luck.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,624 times
Default Hello

We are not from NY however I can tell you being from Texas, Charlotte ia a really beautiful place to live. I lived her e for 22 yrs and depending on where you want to live and price point, you have lots of opportunity. Ft. Mill in SC is about a 20min drive into Uptown Charlotte and awesome schools...Matthews is another great choice. Please email me with questions...

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-03-2009 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 04-03-2009, 02:06 PM

285 posts, read 800,399 times
shout out to that bakery on 18th and around 74th? oh the rum babas and the fresh cream pastries!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 04:20 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
You guys saw the date of the post was 2008 as in it has whiskers on it?

Old 04-03-2009, 04:51 PM

285 posts, read 800,399 times
just noticed, why do they get dragged up

Old 04-03-2009, 05:00 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
You will find a lot of your neighbors in Union County, NC.
Union County North Carolina
Click on the towns and check out Weddington. It really only has one main shopping center, but if you want to browse around town, there is an antique town just a few miles down the road. The name of the town is Waxhaw and it even has the same zip code as Weddington.

If you are heading for the Lake Norman area, I personally would stay in Davidson. That is another little town to walk around in. It has some vintage homes that are really great. Wish I could have afforded one of them when we were shopping for a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte