U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:33 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,064,997 times

Advertisements

So, this is something I thought of tonight at work. All of the recent crime activity has generated concern across the region. It causes some people to be fearful and it causes others to be more vigilant. But at the end of the day we are all at an increased risk for our safety in our wonderful city.

There are multiple parameters that have paved the way for the increase in violent crimes. I share the view of many of you that the likely primary reason is the revolving door of the Mecklenburg County penal system (if you really want to gain a greater understanding of the problem, tune into Tara Servatius at 9pm nightly on WBT 1110AM or catch her weekly editorial in Creative Loafing). The time to correct the crisis is long, long overdue and I still do not see the necessary measures taking place to correct the problem. These career criminals are arrested, locked up, and released back on the streets time and time again. 10-20 arrests for one person is not uncommon around here. The city officials whine about not receiving enough funds from the state, and the state scolds the likes of Pat McCrory for building sports arenas instead of jails. The point is, it's a cyclical argument and no one wants to honestly fix the chaos (and chaos is exactly what this is).

What I have been thinking about is creating a new approach to fight back. We can no longer use methods of the past to defend ourselves. The criminals are of a different breed these days. They do not value life and have no respect for the law or community. Neighborhoods have established community watch programs and police recommend you have a tea party with the criminals (click here for one of Tara's best editorials and is a MUST READ imo: Creative Loafing Charlotte | News | Police plead for mercy). But as we all know, crime is increasing nevertheless. So what is my solution you ask? It's quite simple really--we must start sending a message to these low life scumbags!! We need to organize! Call it grassroots or whatever you like, but residents across the Charlotte region, which of course includes the surrounding counties, must come together and take a message to the criminals that enough is enough, and we will not take it any longer. These idiots need to hear that we are increasingly arming ourselves, and we will shoot!

This must become a major campaign. Even bigger than the series "Defend Charlotte" that Charlotte's Fox news broadcasts. Much bigger. We need to mobilize and petition and do whatever it takes to get laws changed, monies redirected, build more jails, oust corrupt judges, hire more prosecutors, and throw away the key on these repeat offenders. This organization should privately fund commercial advertisements on every local TV and radio station that voice our anger and our vigilance. The thugs can no longer get a free pass. They need to know that they will die if they enter the wrong house, jack the wrong car, or rob the wrong pedestrian. We need to educate them by force and example and through the airwaves.

Now I am terrible at organizing, but I think this is a great idea. What else are we to do? We must start a proactive campaign to reverse this crime wave. It really won't be long until we end up like Miami, Detroit, Atlanta, L.A., you name it.

So is any of this making sense? Is it possible to create this? I just don't know what else to do, but something must be done! Let's start it here on Charlotte City Data!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 11:40 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,803,564 times
Default sounds good to me...

I would love to live here and raise a family so whatever we can do to help sounds great!

I think my biggest problem for awhile on this board and a few others and even the news was that no one was admitting there was a problem..it was just well watch your surroundings or don't be a target and who wants to constantly be on heightened alert..I think everyone (law officials, news, police, etc.) now realize how much the crime is getting out of hand. I believe the awareness and admitting this is not a normal rate of crime for nice suburbs is the first step towards the right direction.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:24 AM

755 posts, read 2,347,555 times
I love me some Tara Servatius. Even though I live in Ohio now, I still listen to her podcasts every day.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:29 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,190,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
So, this is something I thought of tonight at work. All of the recent crime activity has generated concern across the region. It causes some people to be fearful and it causes others to be more vigilant. But at the end of the day we are all at an increased risk for our safety in our wonderful city.

There are multiple parameters that have paved the way for the increase in violent crimes. I share the view of many of you that the likely primary reason is the revolving door of the Mecklenburg County penal system (if you really want to gain a greater understanding of the problem, tune into Tara Servatius at 9pm nightly on WBT 1110AM or catch her weekly editorial in Creative Loafing). The time to correct the crisis is long, long overdue and I still do not see the necessary measures taking place to correct the problem. These career criminals are arrested, locked up, and released back on the streets time and time again. 10-20 arrests for one person is not uncommon around here. The city officials whine about not receiving enough funds from the state, and the state scolds the likes of Pat McCrory for building sports arenas instead of jails. The point is, it's a cyclical argument and no one wants to honestly fix the chaos (and chaos is exactly what this is).

What I have been thinking about is creating a new approach to fight back. We can no longer use methods of the past to defend ourselves. The criminals are of a different breed these days. They do not value life and have no respect for the law or community. Neighborhoods have established community watch programs and police recommend you have a tea party with the criminals (click here for one of Tara's best editorials and is a MUST READ imo: Creative Loafing Charlotte | News | Police plead for mercy). But as we all know, crime is increasing nevertheless. So what is my solution you ask? It's quite simple really--we must start sending a message to these low life scumbags!! We need to organize! Call it grassroots or whatever you like, but residents across the Charlotte region, which of course includes the surrounding counties, must come together and take a message to the criminals that enough is enough, and we will not take it any longer. These idiots need to hear that we are increasingly arming ourselves, and we will shoot!

This must become a major campaign. Even bigger than the series "Defend Charlotte" that Charlotte's Fox news broadcasts. Much bigger. We need to mobilize and petition and do whatever it takes to get laws changed, monies redirected, build more jails, oust corrupt judges, hire more prosecutors, and throw away the key on these repeat offenders. This organization should privately fund commercial advertisements on every local TV and radio station that voice our anger and our vigilance. The thugs can no longer get a free pass. They need to know that they will die if they enter the wrong house, jack the wrong car, or rob the wrong pedestrian. We need to educate them by force and example and through the airwaves.

Now I am terrible at organizing, but I think this is a great idea. What else are we to do? We must start a proactive campaign to reverse this crime wave. It really won't be long until we end up like Miami, Detroit, Atlanta, L.A., you name it.

So is any of this making sense? Is it possible to create this? I just don't know what else to do, but something must be done! Let's start it here on Charlotte City Data!!!
Maybe if Obama becomes president, he will put his foot down and fund such a program. LOL!! Seriously though, I share your sentiments and have been part of neighborhood watches, etc.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:31 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,575,565 times
+1 love Tara.

Carolina_guy, I concur 100%
Let's take back our town.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:22 AM

35,883 posts, read 71,644,208 times
I agree totally - grassroots effort is necessary. I like all your suggestions and ideas, including taking a hard look at our officials who have influence over the penal system and the "revolving door" w/ crime here.

I am in favor of organizing and will participate.

Thank you, CG, for a wonderful, thoughtful post w/ meaningful ideas. Where do we take it from here?

Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 AM

7,635 posts, read 18,183,739 times
One of the unfortunately things about "crime prevention" is, it takes time and money to impliment programs/prevention. There are just so many things today that money is needed for in all communities AND there just doesn't seem to be enough money for everything.
Then, there are the people who are completely "fed up" with crime and fight back when an attempted robbery is taking place, have a firearm in their home and "ready to use" if needed, people taking firearm and self-defense training and on and on. But, has any of this slowed up crime.....doesn't appear so.
So, what can be done?

Old 04-03-2008, 09:15 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,051,609 times
If more residents would shoot to kill these worthless menace to society...maybe some of them would think twice about doing home invasions. I think that more and more judges would dismiss these cases due to self defense. It is our property that we have worked for...what gives anyone the right to try to take it from us. We should be able to protect our property (not just our lives) and if that means shoot to kill...so be it!

Old 04-03-2008, 09:25 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,575,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
It is our property that we have worked for...what gives anyone the right to try to take it from us. We should be able to protect our property (not just our lives) and if that means shoot to kill...so be it!
The official line from the PD is that we should follow the perpetrators instructions and hope they do not hurt us.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:57 AM

35,883 posts, read 71,644,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
The official line from the PD is that we should follow the perpetrators instructions and hope they do not hurt us.
Right. That reminds me of 9/11 (don't mean to offend anyone here by comparing the two). But what I am referring to is . . . prior to 9/11, flight attendants, pilots and pax were told - if your plane gets hi-jacked, just stay calm and follow instructions. Well, that is what people did. We had no idea there would be thugs out there w/ no respect for human life - including their own lives.

So that is what I feel about being instructed to follow what the perps tell us to do. How do I know the guy w/ a gun standing in my LR is not going to beat my family up - or, god forbid - shoot us all? They have proven they are arrogant and brazen. I keep remembering what the thugs said to that woman w/ kids who drove up to find 3 robbers ransacking her house. She called out "What are you doing?" and one of them said "Robbing your house."

I think these thugs have no core values, no respect for life and therefore, pose a big risk if anyone is in their path.

I guess CMPD does not want to encourage vigilante behavior. On the other hand, please inform me if I am incorrect, but so far . . . I have not heard of one break-in yet where CMPD showed up to rescue a homeowner while the burglary was in process. I am not putting down our LE or belittling their concern at all. But response times are not impressive (lots of turf to cover in this city). . . and stats show that most burglars are in and out w/in 10 mins. So unless LE can get there faster than 10 mins from the time the homeowner places a 911 call . . . I dunno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: