U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:46 PM

8,508 posts, read 12,635,881 times

Advertisements

Charlotte Observer | 03/27/2008 | The man behind <br> the 'homeless' sign (http://www.charlotte.com/250/story/554338.html - broken link)

Here's an interesting write up about the homeless guy that you see at the I77 Exit 33 interchange accepting donations.

I'm glad to see this article written about him. It truly enlightened me to his situation and I'm glad to see things are looking up for him!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 09:22 PM

824 posts, read 2,677,515 times
Thanks for sharing that.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:18 PM

1,670 posts, read 6,099,838 times
Homeless with a great heart. No wonder so many people help him; he's very grateful for what's given to him and thanks God for his blessings. We could all learn how to spread what we have to those less fortunate.

What a wonderful article on a special person.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:34 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,096,806 times
That's a great story. I offered him the umbrella out of my car several months ago, and he replied he already had one. Thanks for sharing!

Old 04-03-2008, 10:46 PM

450 posts, read 2,220,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
That's a great story. I offered him the umbrella out of my car several months ago, and he replied he already had one. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks to the original poster for sharing this story.

Has anyone else here ever met this man? I wish I was still in the area. I never saw him (I don't think), but I used to stop and offer to bring food to homeless people occasionally.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:58 PM

35,883 posts, read 71,993,293 times
Everyone has a story . . . you just never know what people have endured in their lives . . .

Thanks, Stripes, for sharing a really good story . . . warmed my heart. . .

Old 04-04-2008, 12:10 AM

3,519 posts, read 9,974,139 times
I wonder how many of us might be in the same position at some point of our lives?

Old 04-04-2008, 04:10 AM

450 posts, read 2,220,280 times
superk, I've never been homeless but I sure can see how it happens to good people. There but for the grace of God go I. Most people say "Well I'd go live with family" which is great and all, but that's the point--if you can lose your health and your job and just go stay with and live off of family that's terrific but not everyone HAS family who can take them in, so what are they going to do? I really feel for them. Homeless does NOT equal lazy. And it doesn't take much for it to happen to any of us......a medical/health problem and the loss of a job. Is all it would take.

I wish this man the very best, and hopes he lives comfortably now for the rest of his life. Whenever I get my own self straightened out from my problems I would like to kickstart something in my own community to help homeless people. It has to be the worst feeling in the world, you're on the streets with no family to go to, no refuge from the weather, no safe warm bed.

We should all count our blessings, how many times do we complain about things that are ultimately trivial? The cable tv reception is terrible, oh, the line at the bank is long, I had to wait an hour at the doctor's office, some guy cut me off in traffic...and here is this man, homeless, and yet he still shares what he's able to receive with others. In some ways he is more blessed than a lot of people because he is a good person on the inside, which is more than I can say for so many people these days, and also sometimes, even myself.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:35 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,619,061 times
What a great story!

With all our doom and gloom this week about crime, we finally get a ray of sunshine.

You just cannot keep a good man down.
The man exemplifies that life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
So many people with a chip on their shoulder complain about the dish life has dealt them, and yet look at this man.
People at their core want to help good people.
I have a feeling this is not the last we will hear about Mr. Robinson.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:14 AM

4,729 posts, read 18,528,296 times
Yes, a very good story...but I am somewhat disheartened to see that no one offered him a place in their home. Not trying to find fault or negatives, just to me a little shocking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte