Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 05:51 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times

Advertisements

Opening is scheduled for late November. Exact date not yet given.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...nstration.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 09:37 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Appreciate the update. Hopefully it'll be open for the thanksgiving holiday

Old 10-31-2018, 09:41 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
This is good news. Now if the expressway bypassing can proceed from Wingate to Wadesboro, United States Route 74 improves in connectivity from Charlotte to Interstate 95.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Appreciate the update. Hopefully it'll be open for the thanksgiving holiday
According to this article, it won’t be open until after Thanksgiving.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...220852185.html

Quote:
The 20-mile Monroe Expressway is scheduled to open Nov. 27, the N.C. Department of Transportation said Tuesday.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:34 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
This is good news. Now if the expressway bypassing can proceed from Wingate to Wadesboro, United States Route 74 improves in connectivity from Charlotte to Interstate 95.
Are there plans to do so?

Old 11-04-2018, 12:51 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Are there plans to do so?
A long term goal of the NCDOT is to eventually have US 74 be a freeway or expressway between Asheville and Wilmington. As of right now the only thing in the cards is finishing upgrading Independence Blvd in Charlotte out 485 and a bypass of Shelby. Nothing in development yet for the other parts.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:14 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
They are going to have to step up the work, I was on it this morning and it is far from ready for 4 wheeled visitors.

Lanes need marking, signage is scarce or not installed at this point, some exits are not paved completely or not curbed completely. Some overpasses are grooved for rain and others are not. A crew was working on one when I rode over it, but there were several not done yet. I didn't see any cameras, or ticket readers, not sure how they will accomplish that chore.
There is some signage in place that indicates it will be marginally cheaper to buy a yearly "quick" pass than to have it charged back to your plate address. (Save $1.38 for the full By-pass each time you use it)

As a side note, I was amazed at how many private citizens are already using the road. While I rode the length of it I was passed by as many private vehicles as I was by construction vehicles. I stopped to talk to a worker and he said he sees it all the time, weekends mostly, but sometimes on weekdays. A fairly dangerous endeavor as construction vehicles use either side of the bypass to travel in either direction. No attention paid to East bound or West bound lanes at this point on the closed road.

Most were actually traveling at moderate speeds, two Hondas (Civics i think) came by apparently engaged in a speed test of sorts. Whoosh!!!!!! Whoosh!!!!!!!! On there way from Wingate to parts West.

I did notice at least two of the concrete lane separators under overpasses were cracked all the way through. Apparently they were set down heavily and cracked. They were not load bearing, only there to prevent turning from East bound to West bound or vise versa. I assume they will not need to be replaced.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
They are going to have to step up the work, I was on it this morning and it is far from ready for 4 wheeled visitors.

Lanes need marking, signage is scarce or not installed at this point, some exits are not paved completely or not curbed completely. Some overpasses are grooved for rain and others are not. A crew was working on one when I rode over it, but there were several not done yet.
Here ya go.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...ay-paving.aspx

Old 11-16-2018, 12:10 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post

They are definitely talking like it's on schedule to open at the end of November. I heard the end of a news report this morning that mentioned end of the month opening.

Now if everyone would just boycott using it for the next 6 months maybe they'd change it to a taxpayer funded road that all of us would use.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:48 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
A long term goal of the NCDOT is to eventually have US 74 be a freeway or expressway between Asheville and Wilmington. As of right now the only thing in the cards is finishing upgrading Independence Blvd in Charlotte out 485 and a bypass of Shelby. Nothing in development yet for the other parts.
Why don't they build a stack interchange at Independence/74 and 485?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte