Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 06:46 AM

165 posts, read 559,472 times

Advertisements

Let me first start out by saying I am new to Charlotte. So if this is normal to most of you, it's not to me. I have never had to deal with this before so please be kind as I have posted other innocent inquires here before only to be treated like an Idiot.

My boyfriend and I are really enjoying the weather so we were in our garage doing some cleaning/organizing. I turned around only to see a 5 foot black snake climbing one of the walls. He didn't seem agressive and moved slowly. What was I supposed to do in this situation? Online it gave instructions on how to kill a snake. I don't think I could have done that. Well, as we tried to figure out what to do he crawled into a little nook in the wall. He's going to have to come out sometime. Is this a normal thing out here? Should I expect more of this? How can I protect my home? He looked to be a black racer snake from what I could Identify. I don't think he is poisenous but I have a very curious lab who I am very worried about. We are living in a rental house and after this situation happened we walked around and noticed all kinds of easy place for critters to get in. I mean there are gaps everywhere. Any help/advice is appreciated? And if you think I am being a baby, no need to mention it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 06:48 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
It's 99.9% a black rat snake and perfectly harmless. I suppose he'll come out in time, at any rate, he won't hurt you.

Don't feel stupid! I'd freak out a little too. I. Do. Not. Like. Snakes. lol

Old 05-14-2009, 06:50 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLaw82 View Post

Online it gave instructions on how to kill a snake. I don't think I could have done that. .
Why don't you get your boyfriend to kill it w/a shovel, or is he afraid too?

Old 05-14-2009, 06:52 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Why don't you get your boyfriend to kill it w/a shovel, or is he afraid too?

And here's the pitch....

Old 05-14-2009, 06:52 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
In the garage?

Leave the door open, he'll leave after he finds the mouse he's looking for.

Or you could catch him and relocate. Get a stick in one hand to hold up the front part of his body (slide the stick under him about 1/4 to 1/3 of his body length from the front) and then grab his tail and walk him outside. He will probably try to flip over to make you lose your grip, so hold on firmly but don't pinch or mash him.

He probably won't even strike at you if you're gentle and deliberate.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:53 AM

You are right! I missed the Black Rat snake in my panicked googling last night. Thats exactly what he looked like. Good to know! Thanks for your quick reply. With that being said.......I want that thing gone!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 06:54 AM

393 posts, read 1,187,864 times
Hatchet to snake = problem solved.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:55 AM

I was scared, yes. But I didn't want to kill him. I just wanted him to be far far away so I can stop jumping everytime I see a extension cord or garden hose. My main concern is that he is going to get into the house with all these gaps and holes.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:56 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,733 times
Quote:
I was scared, yes. But I didn't want to kill him. I just wanted him to be far far away so I can stop jumping everytime I see a extension cord or garden hose. My main concern is that he is going to get into the house with all these gaps and holes.

You know what they say: for every one snake you see....

Old 05-14-2009, 06:57 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
Quote:
I thought one was a bike inner tube once when I was hiking and picked it up....I think they heard me scream all the way in Canada. Lol. I scared the heck out of it and it took off quickly after that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte