U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:30 AM

135 posts, read 486,224 times

Advertisements

I am a 26 yr old college graduate with a degree in Construction Management! I have been searching for a job for more than 6 months and have had ZERO luck! I had 2 interviews with a company ( I will be nice and not mention their name) and they never contacted me back even after I called and left messages, and emailed them. I was left in the dust for what reason I have no clue!

Does anyone know of a construction company hiring? I would like an entry level position as a assistant project manager, or an assistant supervisor. I have talked with a headhunter but not much luck with the either!

Thanks for anyones help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 11:39 AM

46 posts, read 204,479 times
Just about everyone has a hiring freeze on right now. Its a hard time finding a job in residential construction right now. I would suggest looking into some commercial companies.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:12 PM

3 posts, read 14,919 times
Default Cold Calling- Try this technique

Just a thought...

Take a look at where the residentail market is still hot and there is active building going on. Then visit these areas and walk in to the model house, strike up a conversation with the sales agent and get a name and address of the company itself.

Create a batch of resume's and cover letters and walk in the door of each company, asking for time to speak with the constrction supervisor. Usually they will talk about jobs available, and who may be hiring. If he/she asks for a resume- you have it with you. Ask for their business card.

Follow up with a phone call and a thank you. Don't rely on emails and message machines.

There is a building boom up here along I-77, Lake Norman, from Huntersville north to Troutman! Litterally billions of dollars, in creating whole new communities. Concord is also a hot spot.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the advice ! I am trying that idea as we speak to visit companies and bring my resume to them! I will also visit some job sites as well ! I am looking for a commercial construction company but I am open to residential as well. Thanks again !!!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:37 PM

870 posts, read 3,388,315 times
Sounds like you want people to come to you? Go to the Charlotte Chamber website, look at the members section and search by category. Search for builders, contractors, construction companies, etc. Look at all the companies, names, addresses, and phone numbers. Start calling them or stopping in to see them. Do not talk to the front receptionist or the person who answers the phone. Ask to speak with a hiring manager, the owner or President, or the HR person.
Good luck!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:07 PM

98 posts, read 272,173 times
Did you try Shaw Group or Fluor Corp. in Charlotte? They are both big Engineering/Procurement/Construction companies. And URS Corp. who just bought the Washington Group opened an office in Fort Mill. Google them all for their websites and career searches.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:22 AM

Thank you ! And No NJMDPANC I don't expect anyone to come to me! I know I have to go out there and find leads myself. I have been doing that! I was wanting to see if anyone was working for a construction company and knew if they were hiring. It's called networking! Thanks though !

Old 04-09-2008, 09:57 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,734,916 times
I work for a construction manager here in Charlotte. I know a lot of companies are not hiring right now. We just opened this satellite office and are not hiring but if you are interested, send me a DM and I'll give you contact info for the company I left. It's a good company but I wanted more advancement than they could give me in my field.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 9,673 times
I feel your pain my friend. I Work in Commercial Construction and have been a PM for 5 years now on small and large commercial jobs, hard bid and negotiated. I was laid off in January and it is now May and I am still looking. I had two interviews in the last two weeks, but no responses. My feel is that companies are seeing what is out there and waiting because they do not have the projects to start yet. They are playing the stall game and hoping that people will lower their price to work, which may be true for some. I had an offer for 42K and told them no way, that that was an insult. (I could work at the gas station on the corner for that, seriously, they have a sign on the door). It sucks, but I know that if we remain patient things will turn around and all these companies that dumped so many employees are going to start back hiring, it will flip. Just be patient, 3 years ago I got a call a month, not now, but it will change. Lumber is too cheap for no one to start building.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:49 AM

197 posts, read 463,635 times
Try the Shaw Group. They are currently contracted to build two new projects with a large corporation I am affiliated with.

The Shaw Group Inc.

Here's the link to jobs in NC:
http://www.recruitingsite.com/csbsites/shawinternet/Search.asp (broken link)

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte