Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,226,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I think a lot of people would willingly pay even more than the new increase for certain things- like the completion of 485 or the widening of 77.
Good point, Jay! I am one of the "crazies" who would pay a TOLL if it would mean these projects would get finished. How is that for desperate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 06:19 PM

182 posts, read 552,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And now they are going up. How did this happen??? I moved here to get away from high taxes!!!

Okay. Not my whine . . . just wondering what you all think about the newcomers who have moved here b/c of the "bargain tax rates" and now are whining (boo hooing) about taxes.

Am I being too critical? Did people who came here not realize that we would need to improve our roads and build more schools in order to accommodate them here?

I mean . . . seems to me . . . if anyone should be upset about taxes, it would be the longtime residents (especially those on fixed incomes) who did not anticipate the Charlotte Boom . . . (or UC boom, in case of UC residents) . . . and so are upset about their escalating tax bill. But instead, I saw two people on TV tonite - both transplants - who are complaining that they came here to get away from high taxes . . . and now they are upset b/c taxes are going up here.

Hmmmmm. Any thoughts?

Me, Me, Me................... Although I haven't moved yet I did think we would be lower tax heaven. Florida has a sales tax of 6.5% {7% in some areas} but this tax pretty much covers clothing, food, etc. So I was shocked to learn that there is a different tax on food, dang. But in saying that the property tax and auto insurance is a lot different.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:20 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,705,561 times
Quote:
Good point, Jay! I am one of the "crazies" who would pay a TOLL if it would mean these projects would get finished. How is that for desperate?
I drive OPPOSITE of most of commuters of 77 (live in Cornelius, drive to Mooresville) and it drives me crazy. I can't imagine what the people going the other way feel like!

I, too, would pay a toll if I could have a nice, easy drive everyday!!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:22 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,457,714 times
Quote:
And now they are going up. How did this happen??? I moved here to get away from high taxes!!!

Okay. Not my whine . . . just wondering what you all think about the newcomers who have moved here b/c of the "bargain tax rates" and now are whining (boo hooing) about taxes.

Am I being too critical? Did people who came here not realize that we would need to improve our roads and build more schools in order to accommodate them here?

I mean . . . seems to me . . . if anyone should be upset about taxes, it would be the longtime residents (especially those on fixed incomes) who did not anticipate the Charlotte Boom . . . (or UC boom, in case of UC residents) . . . and so are upset about their escalating tax bill. But instead, I saw two people on TV tonite - both transplants - who are complaining that they came here to get away from high taxes . . . and now they are upset b/c taxes are going up here.

Hmmmmm. Any thoughts?
ani- You're going to get a goodly amount of responses on this one! LOL!! I haven't met a person yet who enjoys paying taxes. But if you know of anyplace in the country where taxes are going down, please let me know!
It seems that no matter where you go, that people are demanding more and more services. I don't understand how people who moved from high-tax states can complain about the increase in taxes after having moved here. If you got a 7% increase in your $15,000 property taxes had you not moved, how in God's name, can you complain about a 10% increase in the $3000 property taxes you pay here. Do the math! Are these people "shell shocked" or "tax-shocked" to elicit that kind of hue and cry? The people I feel the sorriest for, are the native "elderly" who could have never anticipated the changes to the area and their accompanying costs. They are the ones most affected by the growth in Metro Charlotte.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:24 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,349,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
are so low that it didn't even phase us...did they go up a lot? How much on the dollar now?

I am all for raising taxes if it means more police and better roads!
True but we got to change our leaders who want these changes for us as well and not raid the budgets of money that has been appropriated for their departments. That is what happen to the state road improvement budget.

The road improvement budget needs some flexibility instead of using this TIP system to cater to counties that are stressed in their road infrastructure due to growth.

I dont mind paying taxes and knew when I moved to this area the cost of living was going to be higher but I want smart leaders who care about the people and the enviroment that makes this city great.

The deadline is near for newcomers and locals to register to vote April 11th to vote in the primary.

I do think the state needs rules on commercial and residential development in requiring developers to pay for roads and bridge improvement within a mile of their development.
If the state is not going to improve state roads faster give the power and financing to local municipalites to make these changes.

wow you got me on rant lol

Old 04-08-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey Hull View Post
We are considering moving to the NC area. Can you tell me how the taxes are going up?
Actually, I think the rates are not changing so much as new assessments increased valuations on property. Plus, water bills are going up - so that is like a type of "tax."

Taxes are about the same as the area I moved from, so to me . . . it all seems pretty reasonable. I do think the charges for sewer are too high, and that is why raising the charges might as well be another tax - just another way of raising revenue.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
True but we got to change our leaders who want these changes for us as well and not raid the budgets of money that has been appropriated for their departments. That is what happen to the state road improvement budget.

The road improvement budget needs some flexibility instead of using this TIP system to cater to counties that are stressed in their road infrastructure due to growth.

I dont mind paying taxes and knew when I moved to this area the cost of living was going to be higher but I want smart leaders who care about the people and the enviroment that makes this city great.

The deadline is near for newcomers and locals to register to vote April 11th to vote in the primary.

I do think the state needs rules on commercial and residential development in requiring developers to pay for roads and bridge improvement within a mile of their development.
If the state is not going to improve state roads faster give the power and financing to local municipalites to make these changes.

wow you got me on rant lol
YOU GO, Sunny! You speak the TRUTH!!! The process for allocating funding does need to be changed.

And, as you suggested, everyone should get registered and vote!!!!

Charlotte city fathers do not have control over road improvements and funding for those projects - even tho our taxes are poured into a big pot for the whole state. It is not equitable.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
ani- You're going to get a goodly amount of responses on this one! LOL!! I haven't met a person yet who enjoys paying taxes. But if you know of anyplace in the country where taxes are going down, please let me know!
It seems that no matter where you go, that people are demanding more and more services. I don't understand how people who moved from high-tax states can complain about the increase in taxes after having moved here. If you got a 7% increase in your $15,000 property taxes had you not moved, how in God's name, can you complain about a 10% increase in the $3000 property taxes you pay here. Do the math! Are these people "shell shocked" or "tax-shocked" to elicit that kind of hue and cry? The people I feel the sorriest for, are the native "elderly" who could have never anticipated the changes to the area and their accompanying costs. They are the ones most affected by the growth in Metro Charlotte.
Well, Em, your thoughts were my thoughts . . . and I am very surprised that transplants are complaining! ESPECIALLY transplants!

I guess if we all move to some place like Panama - our taxes would be lower. But other than the beautiful views . . . I think you would get what you paid for there . . . not much as far as city services . . .

Old 04-08-2008, 06:41 PM

330 posts, read 1,033,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I drive OPPOSITE of most of commuters of 77 (live in Cornelius, drive to Mooresville) and it drives me crazy. I can't imagine what the people going the other way feel like!

I, too, would pay a toll if I could have a nice, easy drive everyday!!
Tolls and user fees are the only fair and ethical methods of paying for the types of improvements that so many people are longing for.

Why should I pay for a road or a train that I will never use? Why should I pay for inefficient bureaucracies that can never, ever stay within budget and go so far as to hire contractors to do work on land they don't even own yet?

Why should I pay for schools when I have no children? Costs per student are higher in public schools than they are in private schools ... that is a fact. Why not give parents the option to send their kids to private schools and refund the unspent funds?

Whenever I hear politicians talking about investing in this or that I know that it is my money that they want to invest and not their own. I happen to think that the fruits of my labor belong to me, and I don't like the idea of someone else stealing from me to pay for their pet projects.

And that's all I have to say about that

Old 04-08-2008, 06:44 PM

168 posts, read 479,687 times
Quote:
Well, Em, your thoughts were my thoughts . . . and I am very surprised that transplants are complaining! ESPECIALLY transplants!

I guess if we all move to some place like Panama - our taxes would be lower. But other than the beautiful views . . . I think you would get what you paid for there . . . not much as far as city services . . .
Oh My Gosh!
I can't believe that any transplants are complaining about high taxes! Especially transplants from NY & NJ. I can say that.. I just purchased in SC. Be there in the Summer- Cant wait, We were paying close to $12,000.00 in a middle upper class area in Long Island New york 25 minutes from Manhattan.
I think all the worries are that the taxes will start to rise and we all will wind up in the same boat,.. come on it will take a while for that!

Ps. Oh I don't like being referred to as a transplant!Even though I am an organ donor... And one more thing, I WILL NOT talk about how WE DID IT BACK HOME! I willl enjoy all the culture I can in my new area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte