Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:09 PM

755 posts, read 2,493,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
It's a scam by polticians...more people = more tax revenue...the argument when jurisdictions try to raise taxes when newcomers move in doesn't make sense.
Absolutely correct! Taxes on a house are a lot higher than taxes on an empty lot!

There should never be ANY reason for the tax rate to increase and Mecklenburg County does it every two years - like clockwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 02:29 PM

620 posts, read 2,118,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And now they are going up. How did this happen??? I moved here to get away from high taxes!!!

Okay. Not my whine . . . just wondering what you all think about the newcomers who have moved here b/c of the "bargain tax rates" and now are whining (boo hooing) about taxes.

Am I being too critical? Did people who came here not realize that we would need to improve our roads and build more schools in order to accommodate them here?

I mean . . . seems to me . . . if anyone should be upset about taxes, it would be the longtime residents (especially those on fixed incomes) who did not anticipate the Charlotte Boom . . . (or UC boom, in case of UC residents) . . . and so are upset about their escalating tax bill. But instead, I saw two people on TV tonite - both transplants - who are complaining that they came here to get away from high taxes . . . and now they are upset b/c taxes are going up here.

Hmmmmm. Any thoughts?

My only thoughts are that you should of done more research before moving here. You (speaking in general) just moved to one of the fastest growing cities/metro areas in the country. What do you expect to happen? Regardless, the taxes here are still lower than many other places.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:03 PM

168 posts, read 481,074 times
Quote:
Oh dear, PoochiePoo. You know you are not a transplant. You are a New Southerner! I think I use the term "transplant" when I am subconsciously being passive aggressive, angry or <shame!> condescending. I do so apologize.

YOU ARE NOT A TRANSPLANT!!! You will be part of our New South family. Forgive me . . . mea culpa.

LOL!! Thank you, I feel much better now... Heard you have gotten much needed rain.ALos, again, thanks for all your advice and info to all the new southerners, I am sure we all appreciate it, and can't wait to have a glass of "sweet Tea".

Old 04-10-2008, 07:12 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochiepoo View Post
LOL!! Thank you, I feel much better now... Heard you have gotten much needed rain.ALos, again, thanks for all your advice and info to all the new southerners, I am sure we all appreciate it, and can't wait to have a glass of "sweet Tea".

I appreciate your forgiving my inappropriate designation, Poochie. You just let us know when you are gonna be here . . . and we will have the tea ready.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:14 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Quote:
I appreciate your forgiving my inappropriate designation, Poochie. You just let us know when you are gonna be here . . . and we will have the tea ready.
Will the tea be from the Charleston Tea Company plantation on Wadmalaw Island? Bigelow Tea - Charleston Tea Gardens (http://www.bigelowtea.com/act/ - broken link)

Old 04-10-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Will the tea be from the Charleston Tea Company plantation on Wadmalaw Island? Bigelow Tea - Charleston Tea Gardens (http://www.bigelowtea.com/act/ - broken link)
Actually I have visited there! And bought plenty of their tea in the past - none in the house right now! Charleston is one of my favorite spots on the planet. Now there is a neat destination, Barking. Charleston.

Thanks for sharing that link! Most people have no clue that Charleston has a tea plantation!!!! Another of the daytrips I enjoy doing - Middleton Plantation.

Charleston is a good reason to live in Charlotte - easy to make trips to the Low Country.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:33 PM

I've enjoyed the Charleston Tea as well. Maybe its time for a tea party...
Welcome to La-tea-da's! (http://www.lateadas.com/index.html - broken link)

Old 04-10-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I've enjoyed the Charleston Tea as well. Maybe its time for a tea party...
Welcome to La-tea-da's! (http://www.lateadas.com/index.html - broken link)
OMGosh!!! Okay. How did this one get past me? Barking, you have just introduced me to a place I know nothing about! Maybe everyone else did, but I surely didn't! What a neat idea! Thank you, Chris.

How wonderful to be regularly surprised by things in this city!!!!

Old 04-10-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
OMGosh!!! Okay. How did this one get past me? Barking, you have just introduced me to a place I know nothing about! Maybe everyone else did, but I surely didn't! What a neat idea! Thank you, Chris.

How wonderful to be regularly surprised by things in this city!!!!
I've never been there myself but I've wanted to go for a long time. High tea could be a blast with some interested folks from the area.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I've never been there myself but I've wanted to go for a long time. High tea could be a blast with some interested folks from the area.
Well, Barking, you know what you gotta do! Start your own meetup thread!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte