Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:06 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And now they are going up. How did this happen??? I moved here to get away from high taxes!!!

Okay. Not my whine . . . just wondering what you all think about the newcomers who have moved here b/c of the "bargain tax rates" and now are whining (boo hooing) about taxes.

Am I being too critical? Did people who came here not realize that we would need to improve our roads and build more schools in order to accommodate them here?

I mean . . . seems to me . . . if anyone should be upset about taxes, it would be the longtime residents (especially those on fixed incomes) who did not anticipate the Charlotte Boom . . . (or UC boom, in case of UC residents) . . . and so are upset about their escalating tax bill. But instead, I saw two people on TV tonite - both transplants - who are complaining that they came here to get away from high taxes . . . and now they are upset b/c taxes are going up here.

Hmmmmm. Any thoughts?
Live in New York or Jersey, you wanna see high taxes! These are a joke compared to those states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 08:07 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Live in New York or Jersey, you wanna see high taxes! These are a joke compared to those states.
Exactly! So why are people who moved here from those areas complaining? I find that sooooo odd!!!

????

Old 04-10-2008, 08:11 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
I know when I left in 99 I paid over $4000 for a 1800 sq ft house that was 25 years old.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:19 AM

5 posts, read 15,723 times
Hey...dont forget about CT. Its ridiculous here too. Cant wait to get to Fort Mill area next year! Winters are awful here as well.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:19 AM

302 posts, read 961,371 times
" did not appreciate the charlotte boom" Oh and i guess you didnt appreciate the economic boom that came along with it. If noone "transplanted" here do you think charlotte would be thriving like it is compared to the rest of the country?? nope.. i agree ppl shouldnt complain about taxes going up because it is necessary for the increased infrastructure, schools etc. but i would think there are many advantages from such a boom for the natives.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtech123 View Post
" did not appreciate the charlotte boom" Oh and i guess you didnt appreciate the economic boom that came along with it. If noone "transplanted" here do you think charlotte would be thriving like it is compared to the rest of the country?? nope.. i agree ppl shouldnt complain about taxes going up because it is necessary for the increased infrastructure, schools etc. but i would think there are many advantages from such a boom for the natives.
MDTech - go back and read. You misquoted me. I did not say APPRECIATE - I said ANTICIPATE. Longtime residents have had their heads spin around w/ all the changes. You have no clue how this area has changed in less than 10 years. And w/ that, there are farmers out in Union County, for example, who are on fixed incomes and have seen their taxes skyrocket b/c suddenly their land is valued so much higher. And no, they did not anticipate the rapid growth nor did they want it. Same for many of our lifelong residents who are retired and on fixed incomes and now their taxes on modest homes have gone up, too, plus - as I said earlier - the sewer costs and water costs are just another form of taxation to raise revenue. So these people are suffering b/c of the growth.

I meant exactly what I said: we did not anticipate the growth. And if you think that the majority of natives here have been clapping their hands b/c of the changes that have occurred b/c of such RAPID and BURGEONING growth, you are very very wrong. Crowded schools, crowded roads, disappearing green space . . .

If you took a poll, you would find that MOST of the natives here were just fine the way CLT was in 1995. I know b/c I am a native and I have family and friends in the region and I know how they feel.

I like progress myself, but even I feel it has been too rapid and the infrastructure could not keep up w/ it . . . making my quality of life DIMINISHED w/ traffic, higher water/sewer costs. And I am concerned about our schools, even tho my kids are through the system now. Do I like Ballantyne? Heck, yeah. Do I think the growth in Union County is terrific? Yes and No - b/c of roads and loss of rural land - I have mixed feelings. Do I think Huntersvile and Mooresville are expanding too quickly? Yes, I do. However, I am hoping things will slow down and let our infrastructure catch up.

So I meant exactly what I said. Our City Fathers did not anticipate the Great NE Migration here, obviously, or they would have planned better back in the 80s to meet the demands of the year 2000 forward.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:08 PM

302 posts, read 961,371 times
My fault, I misread. you have alot of good points, but i still believe the growth was good. A little to fast Yes, but it also seems that the cities/towns did not react fast enough to accomodate, or just brushed it off like it was just going to be a small influx. I mean come on its been 10 plus years of steady, probably even double digit growth and they still havent learned how to keep up. They are making a killing on property taxes, and other economic benifits from all the new homes, businesses, decelopments etc. they should have been able to handle this alot better, it didnt happen overnight.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtech123 View Post
My fault, I misread. you have alot of good points, but i still believe the growth was good. A little to fast Yes, but it also seems that the cities/towns did not react fast enough to accomodate, or just brushed it off like it was just going to be a small influx. I mean come on its been 10 plus years of steady, probably even double digit growth and they still havent learned how to keep up. They are making a killing on property taxes, and other economic benifits from all the new homes, businesses, decelopments etc. they should have been able to handle this alot better, it didnt happen overnight.
There was no way to anticipate what happened here. No one expected it. When you suddenly have 80,000 people show up . . . you have no idea what I am talking about. It has only been a few years ago that CLT stopped at Hwy. 51 (Pineville Matthews Rd). Now look at it. That used to be a 2 lane country road. Huntersville suddently started growing at 25% a year. I will see if I can find the stats. It is really rather mind boggling. It is not like the Chambers of Commerce of Mooresville, Huntersville, Monroe, Ft. Mill, etc sent out flyers saying - hey - we are needing new citizens here. The strain on water, sewer, roads and schools has been mind boggling - seriously.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:59 PM

I am trying to find some more recent stats, as my research indicates the biggest boom here occurred in 2005-2007 and this chart does not account for that time period.

Huntersville:

Population 2005: 36,377
Population 2004: 34,268
Population 2003: 32,279
Population 2002: 30,558
Population 2001: 28,501
Population 2000: 24,960 (2000 Census)
Population 1990: 3,014 (1990 Census)

Population Growth 2000 to 2005: 45.74%
Population Growth 1990 to 2000: 728.14%

Charlotte Meck
513,7036 658,649

Charlotte Meck
695,995 902,803

But think about this. In 1980, the census in CLT was 315,473. In 1990, it was 395,934. Over ten years, this city saw a growth of 75,000 people. Back in 1990, City Fathers were doing 10 year long range planning. No one anticipated what was going to occur w/ growth by year 2000. We are getting 75,000 people ANNUALLY into the CLT metro region. Our MSA has increased over 1 MILLION people since 1990.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:09 PM

876 posts, read 3,792,173 times
taxes and costs are going up EVERYWHERE, not just here. It's part of the economy going south. Has nothing to do with Charlotte or North Carolina at all.

Big topic in FL right now is State Farm requesting to raise their homeowners insurance rates 47.1%. So, even if the taxes go up here, its MUCH better than the taxes AND insurance skyrocketing elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte