U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering moving from Memphis to Charlotte, tired of Memphis high crime rate, ghetto neighborhoods, no activities for families, terrible day cares, Is Charlotte better than Memphis

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:46 PM

88 posts, read 189,894 times

Advertisements

I am from Memphis and have been here all my life. I am sick of it. The crime is horrible there is nothing to do new. I don't like the schools for my kids. And most of all the way to be here is ghetto. The "Teachers" at the day care can't speak proper english and of course the kids act like the ghetto parents so I want them out before elementry school. I understand charlotte is still the south and there is slang. But I want them to have a good education and really don't want them to fall into the traps I did when I was younger. So can anyone tell me is Charlotte ok or is it just going to be a lesser of the evil. I've heard some horror stories.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 09:53 PM

72 posts, read 225,186 times
I lived in TN for several years (although in the eastern part of the state). I have heard the stories about Memphis... Anyway there is a decent amount of crime here (check out the stories on the charlotte news websites, we have some beauties on what seems to be a daily basis). Today was no exception, with home break-ins (in GOOD neighborhoods, in Cornelius/Huntersville) leading to a car chase, etc. Home break-ins and crime seem to be becoming more and more common, this was one of the top stories on Fox news tonight, the Charlotte sheriff is addressing the issue. It seems that even if you move to an upscale neighborhood, you are not guaranteed safety. The schools here are not the best (check out the discussion on this board about that), but there are private schools. Traffic/congestion are getting increasingly worse. So, you might be making a 'parallel' move.... gotta weigh the pros and cons.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:54 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,122,872 times
I can't tell you if Charlotte is for you, only you know that. We do have crime, but for me it's small in comparison to a big city. They do emphasize it so much on the news that one thinks its a big reality to every day livng. If you considering day care and mention that you don't want teachers who speak improperly--this is all depends on where you live and your payment amounts. Every neighborhood has a ghetto. I could tell you that education system in Charlotte is great and learning is a matter of parents helping their children. I love Charlotte thus far, having been here 9 months.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:10 AM

19,857 posts, read 62,551,037 times
You can check the rating of any school in the country on GreatSchools.net.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:52 AM

35,881 posts, read 72,344,754 times
Charlotte is a changing city, w/ newcomers arriving at the rate of 80,000 a year (for the metro region). The chances of your meeting very many natives would be small. As it stands now, 2/3 of the residents are from "somewhere else," w/ a large portion having arrived from NY/NJ.

I hear very few Southern accents any more. I am a native but DH is a yankee, Hee Hee. So altho I have a southern accent (and proudly so) I don't even hear a Southern accent in my own home (unless my son is around!) Southern accents do not equate to bad grammar. Some of the most atrocious sentence structure I have heard - and incorrect verb use - seems to be from people who have moved here from elsewhere. So your concern about "slang" really depends on what you teach (and allow) at home.

We have had some unusual crime lately . . . but it appears one group of thugs who has been perpetuating the break-ins was nabbed yesterday.

What you will be exposed to will depend largely on where you choose to live w/in this region. Charlotte is a huge area in terms of square miles, especially when considering bedroom communities and burbs.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:19 PM

70 posts, read 151,616 times
No, you don't want to move to Charlotte.
It is infested with crime as much as any other city, the only difference is we like to post it and glamorize it on the evening new like it is original.
Poor and well to do communities are having their share of crimes.
The schools are totally immersed in educating the poor that the above par students are receiving mediocre education. The on the fence income earners are reaping huge tax bills... Yet just above mediocre pays out hard.

Now, because of the drought we are going to be charged 15% more for our water bill.

Charlotte is a confused city and if I had done it over again I would never have moved here.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:05 PM

672 posts, read 1,726,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesneygirl1180 View Post
I lived in TN for several years (although in the eastern part of the state). I have heard the stories about Memphis... Anyway there is a decent amount of crime here (check out the stories on the charlotte news websites, we have some beauties on what seems to be a daily basis). Today was no exception, with home break-ins (in GOOD neighborhoods, in Cornelius/Huntersville) leading to a car chase, etc. Home break-ins and crime seem to be becoming more and more common, this was one of the top stories on Fox news tonight, the Charlotte sheriff is addressing the issue. It seems that even if you move to an upscale neighborhood, you are not guaranteed safety. The schools here are not the best (check out the discussion on this board about that), but there are private schools. Traffic/congestion are getting increasingly worse. So, you might be making a 'parallel' move.... gotta weigh the pros and cons.
I agree with all your points. We've been to Memphis years ago, were lost there and let me just say my part of Charlotte (Steele Creek area) is no where near as ghetto as Memphis was. However, with that being said, I wouldn't send my children to a daycare in this area as you will run into the same kind of problems with daycares here. I would opt for a daycare in Fort Mill or South Charlotte though. I would say to the OP that yes, you should get out of Memphis and away from the high crime, poor schools but I am not sure that Charlotte would be a much better life. It does depend on what part of this area you would like to live and where you can afford to live. Fort Mill, SC has great schools, low crime, that country feel, educated people, etc. In charlotte there are some good schools and some down right terrible ones. Now if you chose to live outside the city which I would highly recommend you would have a much better chance of living the life you are looking for. Is there something about Charlotte that interests you? Have you thought about any other area? We came here from the midwest and we loved it there. Charlotte is tough because it doesn't seem like too many areas are immune to crime these days. Good luck with your search.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:39 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,111,878 times
Wow. Lot's of negativity here. Let me add the dose of true positive: My wife and I just moved up here from Orlando last June. After months of research and a damn good job offer, we decided to move up without even seeing the city for ourselves. The place has lived up to, and surpassed in some cases, all expectations. The weather is good...not perfect after last summer's 105 week, but pretty darn good. Jobs are all over. Traffic is laughable compared to any other city over 40,000 citizens. There's every store and restaurant chain you can think of. there's sports and music venues. Mountains are 1.5 hours away for an easy weekend trip. Housing is beyond affordable. The city is clean. My list goes on and on. As for schools, I don't have kids yet, so I'm not too in-tune with that topic. I have volunteered as a mentor at a middle school. What I saw was a typical school with typical students. In fact, if I had to make a comparison, the students were far less disrespectful and blurted out hardly any cuss words in the classroom and hallways...unlike Orlando/Central Florida schools where 5th graders could make me feel uncomfortable with their language! As far as crime...I have seen none personally. I make it a point to not watch the news so as to not be dragged down that negative path in life. The news is only going to broadcast things that keep people hooked to the TV...and that's generally bad news. I got sick of it a while ago and stopped watching. There are known ghettos and less-desirable areas of town. But there are tons more affordable and desirable parts of town. To sum it up, my decision to move to Charlotte was based on the extremely good outlook for this city and region, the luxuries and comforts of a big city, and the close proximity to the mountains. I would go as far as to make the statement "you'd be making a darn good decision to move here from a vast majority of other US cities."

Old 04-11-2008, 08:59 PM

672 posts, read 1,726,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Wow. Lot's of negativity here. Let me add the dose of true positive: My wife and I just moved up here from Orlando last June. After months of research and a damn good job offer, we decided to move up without even seeing the city for ourselves. The place has lived up to, and surpassed in some cases, all expectations. The weather is good...not perfect after last summer's 105 week, but pretty darn good. Jobs are all over. Traffic is laughable compared to any other city over 40,000 citizens. There's every store and restaurant chain you can think of. there's sports and music venues. Mountains are 1.5 hours away for an easy weekend trip. Housing is beyond affordable. The city is clean. My list goes on and on. As for schools, I don't have kids yet, so I'm not too in-tune with that topic. I have volunteered as a mentor at a middle school. What I saw was a typical school with typical students. In fact, if I had to make a comparison, the students were far less disrespectful and blurted out hardly any cuss words in the classroom and hallways...unlike Orlando/Central Florida schools where 5th graders could make me feel uncomfortable with their language! As far as crime...I have seen none personally. I make it a point to not watch the news so as to not be dragged down that negative path in life. The news is only going to broadcast things that keep people hooked to the TV...and that's generally bad news. I got sick of it a while ago and stopped watching. There are known ghettos and less-desirable areas of town. But there are tons more affordable and desirable parts of town. To sum it up, my decision to move to Charlotte was based on the extremely good outlook for this city and region, the luxuries and comforts of a big city, and the close proximity to the mountains. I would go as far as to make the statement "you'd be making a darn good decision to move here from a vast majority of other US cities."
While I'm glad you have had positive experiences in Charlotte thus far, some of your opinions are just lacking any real meaning. As far as this quote of yours, "Jobs are all over. Traffic is laughable compared to any other city over 40,000 citizens. There's every store and restaurant chain you can think of." First off we are in a recession. To give people the illusion that Charlotte is plentiful with jobs is just simply not true. Infact, there are plenty of people who move here and think that they will find a job no problem. Only to be met with rejection after rejection, and then they become a drain on welfare. Second, I'm unsure if you are aware but Charlotte has nearly 700,000 people and yes traffic is a big problem here. Also to say that there is every store and restaurant chain you can imagine here is also false. WE come from a town in TX and believe me we have been very disappointed with the lack of restaurant choices in my part of Charlotte. As far as CMS, that is a problem within itself. A lot of the schools in my part of Charlotte are not great, but there are good ones in different parts of Charlotte. Sure there maybe some known ghettos, but that doesn't really matter here as most of the crime leaks into the burbs here which is a major problem. But hey, I don't watch the news either, I go straight to the source and the OP should too. Check out the Charlotte Meck police website and see for yourself the crime here and the locations where there is higher crime:
Calls for Service (http://maps.cmpdweb.org/cfs/Default.aspx - broken link)

As for everything else, there are some really great parts of Charlotte, however, if the OP is on a budget and can only afford a cheap place then Charlotte is probably not for them as the quality of life in say west Charlotte or Nations Ford is definitely lacking.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:18 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,111,878 times
I guess it's all in how you want to view it. Some folks just sound miserable and want to blame a cooked up recession on everything. My place of employment has over 20 jobs posted per week. Random cruises through Monster.com for a few select fields for friends and family turns up more results than I care to view.

As far as crime, sure there are a lot of blue dots on that map...I'm keenly aware of that resource since I just bought a new house. Click on some dots in a typical neighborhood (not in the ghetto) and read some detail...or pull up a report with a 1/4 mile radius. At least for my neighborhood in University City and my old neighborhood (Berewick), the worst things you could find are theft from a vehicle or runaway teen. In my opinion, absolutely nothing to be worried about.

I live 10 miles away from uptown (work, for me) with a 20 minute commute. Sure 77 gets clogged, but that's what you get when you stick 100,000 people on a road at once...and even then, it still moves. And if people can stay onboard with it and not try to shoot it down at every phase, the CATS plan will take this city to the top in the near future.

Sure I'm biased...based on the fact that I set out to pick a better place to live and I seem to believe I found it. I did my research, laid my plan, and I'm living it now...and couldn't be happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>