Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 03:02 PM

334 posts, read 307,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
"You got a black .38 and a gravity knife
You still have to ride the train
There's the smelly essence of N.Y. down there
But you ain't no Bernard Goetz..." - Lou Reed, Hold On
Bernard Goetz is a name you hear much these days. In my opinion, he was a hero and an inspiration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 03:12 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
If you live in New York today you can forget the .38 caliber pistol.. Only the criminals and cops carry those.. Oh yeah, forget the knives too; also illegal in New York..

Despite being Jewish and having a good amount of family from Brooklyn/Jersey (including my mother), I have yet to even visit New York. Everything people tell me about it just scares me away. The high cost of living, purifying smell of sewage, police force that rivals the Nazi SS (anyone remember Stop-And-Frisk?), insane cost of living, dirty and crowded. This is the city where it was at one point illegal to possess sodas larger than 32 oz or something like that and a guy was strangled to death by the police for selling cigarettes on the street. Don't get me wrong, I hope to see the Big Apple one of these days, but I would probably tie a big stone around myself and jump into the Hudson River if I was forced to live there more than a month.

It would be fun though to attend a Yemenite Jewish Passover Seder and the only place you can do that is in New York and possibly Los Angeles.

The nice thing about Charlotte is you can actually drive to New York for those wonderful events and then get the hell out of there.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:24 PM

77 posts, read 64,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkamber View Post
This is just your typical story about your Queens girl that is now a transplant in a much smaller city, and nearly 4 years later, is still feeling homesick nearly every night.

No but really, am I the only New Yorker struggling to fit in this long after making the big move here? I never thought I'd see the day where I'd actually miss sitting on an MTA bus...among other NYC things.

I can't help but feel like a stranger in this city. I still can't get used to basically everything shutting down at 9pm. What do you mean I can't take a walk to my corner bodega for some late night snacks? You mean I actually have to drive to a big a** Walmart for a 50 cent bag of Doritos, and wait in line 15+ min for the ONE cashier open at 12AM?

Anyway, someone pretty please reassure me that it isn't just me feeling this way.

then move back!

Old 03-24-2019, 03:47 PM

334 posts, read 307,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
If you live in New York today you can forget the .38 caliber pistol.. Only the criminals and cops carry those.. Oh yeah, forget the knives too; also illegal in New York..

Despite being Jewish and having a good amount of family from Brooklyn/Jersey (including my mother), I have yet to even visit New York. Everything people tell me about it just scares me away. The high cost of living, purifying smell of sewage, police force that rivals the Nazi SS (anyone remember Stop-And-Frisk?), insane cost of living, dirty and crowded. This is the city where it was at one point illegal to possess sodas larger than 32 oz or something like that and a guy was strangled to death by the police for selling cigarettes on the street. Don't get me wrong, I hope to see the Big Apple one of these days, but I would probably tie a big stone around myself and jump into the Hudson River if I was forced to live there more than a month.

It would be fun though to attend a Yemenite Jewish Passover Seder and the only place you can do that is in New York and possibly Los Angeles.

The nice thing about Charlotte is you can actually drive to New York for those wonderful events and then get the hell out of there.
Yep but good luck affording to park your car in Manhattan or finding a space for a weekend. I have lots of family in Boston. Lots easier there. But, I like NYC. I just make it a point to stay with friend at Cliffside, N.J. across the river and take public transportation in. They have a Chinese run bus line that leaves Charlotte daily I believe and it only cost about $10 to NYC. Unfortunately, there is a good chance that you could die in a fiery crash on the bus. It has been known for such adventures.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:48 PM

6 posts, read 6,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Surprise! The OP never came back to look for that person who would make her "not the only one " . Troll??
Ha! You guys are quite interesting. I realize that Charlotte and NYC are two very different cities. Admittedly, I was just extremely homesick the night I posted this thread. It was a very short original post, because trust me, there is plenty about Charlotte that I enjoy. To those telling me to move back, obviously I would have a long time ago if I didn't have my own personal reasons to being here. I didn't randomly choose this city. I guess you can say it was going to happen eventually (for a number of reasons).

There's PLENTY about NY that I don't miss either. There are pros and cons to any city in the U.S. Just because I complained about Charlotte doesn't mean I despise it. I was simply curious to know if anyone else felt this never-ending longing for the city they grew up in. That is all.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:23 AM

257 posts, read 223,174 times
How many Yankee transplants are in Charlotte? I'm originally from LI but have lived all over and therefore have a diluted sense of identity. It concerns me that there are so many NYers in Charlotte, are they all voting for high-tax democrats? I want to avoid that as much as possible but I am intrigued by western NC.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:10 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
How many Yankee transplants are in Charlotte? I'm originally from LI but have lived all over and therefore have a diluted sense of identity. It concerns me that there are so many NYers in Charlotte, are they all voting for high-tax democrats? I want to avoid that as much as possible but I am intrigued by western NC.
There are *a lot* of transplanted Long Islanders in the area. Are they democrats? I dunno. From what I remember the Republican Party was quite strong in Nassau County, and I am sure that a lot of those folks landed here. That said, the Republican Party of NY, versus the Republican Party in NC, is quite a different thing.

Are there a lot of far Left progressive folks in Charlotte? Absolutely.

That said, no matter their affiliation, everyone seems to get along well, and Charlotte is a lovely City in which to live.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:02 PM

85 posts, read 123,883 times
Move to Raleigh...I can find anything at anytime in the Triangle.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:41 PM

751 posts, read 934,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
and a guy was strangled to death by the police for selling cigarettes on the street.

To be clear, a guy was taken down for resisting arrest and in the ensuing struggle, was accidentally strangled to death. Had he not resisted arrest, then your statement would've just read: "and a guy was arrested for selling cigarettes on the street".

Old 03-29-2019, 05:15 PM

27 posts, read 23,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udcc123 View Post
to be clear, a guy was taken down for resisting arrest and in the ensuing struggle, was accidentally strangled to death. Had he not resisted arrest, then your statement would've just read: "and a guy was arrested for selling cigarettes on the street".
whoa!!!!!!!! That is not a true statement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte