Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:57 PM

40 posts, read 146,260 times

Advertisements

So it's final. We're on our way and moving to Charlotte. Terrific news! Our concerns are will us "new yawwwkers" be accepted with open arms or will we have a hard time fitting in? we're very nice people but again, "us new yawkers" tend to stand out in other places. We'd love some feedback from people who have moved there from here and feedback from people who were born and raised in the Charlotte area. And anyone else who'd like to give some feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 12:42 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,766,025 times
For the South in general, don't sound like everything is better/more modern/more convenient where you came from. Don't tell us how quaint we are. I believe the standards for what is considered rude/polite are different - or maybe my brother has just gotten rude! - so be considerate!

Old 04-11-2008, 05:33 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,161,548 times
We relocated from NY about 10 years ago...you may be surprised to find that in some situations NYers may be the majority. Last year my son played on a rec league soccer team and half (!) the team was originally from NY.

But as others said, try to embrace your new life down here. I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:46 AM

1,311 posts, read 4,676,445 times
We came from PA and there are plenty of transplants, Northern and otherwise. It's really like moving to any city; if you're open-minded and friendly, you will be just fine. We have had a lovely time since moving here. My son has even picked up "ma'am" and "sir." Hard to complain about that! Welcome to Charlotte!

Old 04-11-2008, 06:22 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,488,930 times
DH and I grew up in NJ and lived in the DC area for about 10 years prior to coming to NC one year ago.

While it is okay to miss things about where you came from, don't make a big fuss to other Charlotteans (native or transplant) about how much better you think things are back home.

My best advice is to get out there and experience what Charlotte and NC has to offer. Life is about trying new things! No two cities or states are alike, but that's what makes the world go round. Find things that are unique to your new home, and enjoy them! The more you interact with others and learn about your new home, the more you're going to like it. And don't forget to have manners; as cheeshead1 states above, if your open-minded and friendly, you will be just fine.

And remember, you can always go back up to NY to visit if you get homesick.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:25 AM

382 posts, read 1,886,476 times
I think that as long as YOU are open minded to Charlotte, then you'll be fine. A lot of times people move down here and just complain non-stop about how Charlotte isn't as good as whatever place they came from. Just know that it will be different here. If you give it a chance you'll learn to love and appreciate Charlotte for its differences. Best of luck!

Old 04-11-2008, 06:49 AM

444 posts, read 1,647,797 times
I love to meet people from New York. Generally they are very nice people moving here to enjoy the weather. It really is hard to hide that you are from New York and so I always ask are you from New York and tease them about their accent. In truth, they could probably tease me as I am a true southener. You may have trouble understanding us at first.

Years ago a lady moved to NC from Manhattan and we hired her to be my assistant. She was very well qualified but the clients couldn't understand her and she couldn't understand them. In time, she was saying ya'll and all the other southern slang and the clients loved her.

Good luck and I'm sure it will all work out well!

Old 04-11-2008, 06:59 AM

40 posts, read 146,260 times
You guys are terrific. I feel so much better. Keep that feedback coming! Thanks so much.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:13 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,390,170 times
Greetings! And welcome to the New South. I am a native and have thoroughly enjoyed meeting newcomers to our area. Having lived for a while in the midwest, I know what it is like to move to a new area w/ different traditions and cultural differences. Embrace the changes! Bring your traditions w/ you . . . and share. There is a difference b/n complaining about missing certain things . . . and sharing w/ others your special traditions.

Most likely, tho, you are not going to even run into that many Southerners. Depending on where you work and what neighborhood you select, you likely will find yourself among other newcomers. Charlotte is changing . . . 2/3 of our residents are from "somewhere else" - and many of those newcomers are from NY/NJ.

There is nothing wrong w/ bringing new ideas and solutions to the region. Why re-invent the wheel? If you think something needs to be changed, get involved and help change it! But don't just sit on the sidelines and whine and complain, especially about subjects that have to do w/ growth and expansion that is needed b/c of all the newcomers. These topics would include: schools, roads and water systems. The heavy influx of newcomers has meant our infrastructure has not always kept up w/ the growth. We find it very aggravating when we hear all the complaints from the very people who were responsible - by their presence here - for creating the deficiencies. Work w/ us to create the changes . . . we are all in this together. Just don't sit on the sideline and make negative comments.

Do not disparage our Southern accents. To us, you have an accent that is just as noticeable. We are not ignorant or uneducated people. Do not assume that you have more education, sophistication, or intelligence than the natives. One of the hallmarks of Southern good manners is a sort of self-deprecation that comes w/ not having to prove anything to anyone. Southerners (overall) will not greet you with a list of their degrees - and assets. Don't assume you can look at someone and know how much money, education or life experience he/she may have. That guy driving the pick up truck may be a millionaire many times over. Gen X'ers are more likely to want to keep up w/ the Joneses . . . but older generations of Southerners find auspicious demonstrations of wealth and status a bit distasteful and tacky. So what you see is not always what you get. The guy who shows up to mow your lawn may own the lawn service (may own three lawn services, a nursery, a rental complex at the beach and 50 acres of prime farmland in another county). That good old boy who runs the manufacturing operation may have a doctorate and have lived in Europe, South America and South Asia - and own a condo in Spain. (These are profiles of people I personally know). Don't be condescending, patronizing or arrogant.

Don't tell us how much smarter your kids are than everyone else's and that you are worried they will suffer b/c the schools here are not up to your standards. Do what we do. If you are not happy w/ the public schools, send your kid to private school or choose to live in an area where the schools are demonstrably excellent. We will write you off as a malcontented, pseudo-wealthy loudmouth if you are throwing the cash around on outward appearances and don't ante up for the cost of tuition at a private school.

Follow the rules. If we are under water restrictions, don't sneak around and water your lawn. Your selfish attitude will mark you as a narcissistic outsider and the resentment from your neighbors will be palpable.

Come w/ an attitude of discovery. You will find things here that you will appreciate and enjoy. You can also help create new things that all of us will enjoy. Participate in the activities in your community. Contribute.

We like the energy "New Yawkers" have brought to the area. Southerners love to visit NYC and many of us also enjoy trips to NY's wine/lake/ski areas . . . don't assume we are disinterested in your life "back home." We also understand homesickness and concern about family you may have left behind. Give us a chance to get to know you. Golf with us! BBQ with us! You will find we all have the same concerns - building the best life possible for our families . . .

And again - welcome!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:44 AM

797 posts, read 3,292,313 times
Exactly. There is no point to moving to a new state if you are wanting everyone in the new state to be where you are from. That's the whole point. You move to a new environment and meet all kinds of new people from diff. backgrounds. If you wanted to move where you would be around all New Yorkers then whats the point of moving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte