U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charlotte area: traffic, growth sprawl, school diversity, modeling agencies, healthcare jobs

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 06:16 AM

16 posts, read 11,292 times

Advertisements

I am starting to get excited abt moving to NC with my children in a year, however, there are still some concerns that I have abt where to live (Concord, Fort Mill, or Mooresville) in the Charlotte area.

I posted another thread abt being a single mom (a pre-teen girl & an intelligent 9 yr.old boy) and moving 9 hours away from home: and the only person who responded was SunnyKayak..(thank you very much- you are very helpful on these forums!)

I know that my thread probably was similiar to most threads, but how many of them is re-locating with two kids from Northwest Ohio? As anyone knows, our economy here is at lost for words. There are 'for sale' signs all over the place, our unemployment rate is way above average, the weather will make you scream, and there is nothing here to do for the children. We have a racist mayor (who drinks way too much) and our public school board argue more than solving problems in the schools. Soooooo, you can see why I want out of here!

One of my concerns is that almost everone talks abt how nice the above mentioned cities are, but all I keep hearing abt is the TRAFFIC and growth SPRAWL. Now I knew the Raleigh area had a growth sprawl (because that was my 1st choice- becuz of their school system), but it seems that Charlotte is not far behind. Would the traffic & sprawl be a hinderence to someone coming from NWO? How do you see Charlotte in 5 more years?

And what abt diversity in the schools? Just abt every city you go to, the suburban schools always seem to have higher academics than public schools, however, high ranks don't mean a thing to me and I'll tell you why: my children attend 'suburban' school and they ranked an "A" & "B" academically, but my son's school staff & parents are racist and snotty. Now, my son is highly intelligent (he was in two gifted classes) very athletic, well-mannered, but a little passive. He is always coming home telling me what the children say and more than once, I have talked to the principal and it goes through one ear and out the other..I told him I don't care how they rank academically- if a school doesn't have morals & respect for all, those test scores don't mean a thing. "suburban" doesn't always mean 'better', which is another one of my concerns: How diverse are the schools (Concord, Fort Mill, & Mooresville) and I know racism exist everywhere, but will my son have to deal with this nonsense just because he's intriguingly smart & athletic? Will we be discriminated against because we coming from the north? (I keep reading abt that issue too).

My daughter just graduated from a modeling school: are there modeling agencies down there? When I frist looked into Charlotte, Mooresville was the 1st stop. My first impression was small-town living with more farms than homes, but only after a year 1/2 later, I'm hearing abt traffic issues and growth sprawl? Will we be able to adjust to these settings? I'm taking up healthcare- what are my chances landing a good job? Based on what you know at us, which city would you suggest? Does anyone have photos of Concord, Fort Mill, & Mooresville? We are coming down this summer to get a feel of the city and we are projected to move summer 2009.

I know this thread is long, but I am a concerned mother trying to make a better life for my family, and I have a strong presence abt Charlotte, despite the traffic & sprawl Would I be better off in the Raleigh area? Come on, SunnyKayak, give me a good response! (lol) Anyone that can give a honest and thoughtful opinion would be greatly appreciated! God bless all...

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-12-2008 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: added paragraph marks
Rate this post positively

Old 04-12-2008, 07:37 AM

889 posts, read 3,013,684 times
It would help if you had paragraphs, your posts are hard to read
I can omly speak for Mooresville, its growing by leaps and bounds. Farmland is giving way for suburban sprawl. But still a good area to raise your kids.
NObody is going to give you a hard time because you are comming from Ohio.
Have you also looked into Davidson, Cornelius or Huntersville/ All really nice towns to raise your kids in.
I think you will definatly be in good position as far as healthcare as a proffession, seems to be plentiful jobs in that area.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:37 AM

35,881 posts, read 73,252,950 times
Hey, Risky! You have asked a lot of questions that really come down to personal preference and depend on where you work (commute time).

Your son sounds like a fine young man and I would think he will be at home here. Charlotte's racial make up is pretty typical for any Southern city - I believe minorities make up maybe 40% or so of the population here.

I am not sure about your concerns re: sprawl. Both Raleigh and CLT have their problems w/ traffic. Too many people coming here too quickly; too many cars on roads that need improving. So if it is driving that concerns you, then find a spot where you can easily commute to your job, get your son to school and have most conveniences nearby. There would be neighborhoods like this is all the areas you mentioned.

I suspect the reason you didn't get answers to your earlier question is b/c w/o knowing where you will be working, it is very hard for anyone to tell you what would be the best area for you to live in. In this email, you don't tell us whether you want to rent or buy. And you don't tell us how much $$ you have to rent. So we really have nothing much to go on.

Concord and Mooresville are N of the city. Ft. Mill is S. So there is a lot of territory in between the two. I think these are good suggestions for areas that have good schools and are family oriented. But you would not want to live in Ft. Mill and work in the University area, for example. So we don't know what to tell you w/o knowing where you will work.

The best thing you can do is come here and see what you think. Next, you need to get a job here. Then you will have no problem narrowing down where to live.

Sounds like you want to leave OH b/c of the following reasons: Economy, Racism, Schools, Weather. I can tell you the weather is better. At this point, and depending what sector you work in, the economy seems to be better and for healthcare, I think it will stay good (but healthcare should be good where you are). The schools here are like anywhere - some are better than others. As far as racism, people from other areas always worry about racism but once they get here, they find this is not the big issue people perceive it would be in the South.

Moving is not going to necessarily solve all your problems. I can't tell you about your daughter's future in modeling. You will be coming to a big city where everything is competitive. So yes, there may be opportunities but there will be many people vying for those opportunities. If you have a CNA or other nursing degree, you will find work here, but then - you should be able to find work where you are or anywhere across the country as these jobs are open and have a shortage of workers nationwide. What I think may be a good school, you may not like. Moving is taking a chance. Sounds like you want out. You just have to come here and see if it feels right. Then you have to decide - do I want to take this chance?

Old 04-12-2008, 08:47 AM

672 posts, read 1,745,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hey, Risky! You have asked a lot of questions that really come down to personal preference and depend on where you work (commute time).

Your son sounds like a fine young man and I would think he will be at home here. Charlotte's racial make up is pretty typical for any Southern city - I believe minorities make up maybe 40% or so of the population here.

I am not sure about your concerns re: sprawl. Both Raleigh and CLT have their problems w/ traffic. Too many people coming here too quickly; too many cars on roads that need improving. So if it is driving that concerns you, then find a spot where you can easily commute to your job, get your son to school and have most conveniences nearby. There would be neighborhoods like this is all the areas you mentioned.

I suspect the reason you didn't get answers to your earlier question is b/c w/o knowing where you will be working, it is very hard for anyone to tell you what would be the best area for you to live in. In this email, you don't tell us whether you want to rent or buy. And you don't tell us how much $$ you have to rent. So we really have nothing much to go on.

Concord and Mooresville are N of the city. Ft. Mill is S. So there is a lot of territory in between the two. I think these are good suggestions for areas that have good schools and are family oriented. But you would not want to live in Ft. Mill and work in the University area, for example. So we don't know what to tell you w/o knowing where you will work.

The best thing you can do is come here and see what you think. Next, you need to get a job here. Then you will have no problem narrowing down where to live.

Sounds like you want to leave OH b/c of the following reasons: Economy, Racism, Schools, Weather. I can tell you the weather is better. At this point, and depending what sector you work in, the economy seems to be better and for healthcare, I think it will stay good (but healthcare should be good where you are). The schools here are like anywhere - some are better than others. As far as racism, people from other areas always worry about racism but once they get here, they find this is not the big issue people perceive it would be in the South.

Moving is not going to necessarily solve all your problems. I can't tell you about your daughter's future in modeling. You will be coming to a big city where everything is competitive. So yes, there may be opportunities but there will be many people vying for those opportunities. If you have a CNA or other nursing degree, you will find work here, but then - you should be able to find work where you are or anywhere across the country as these jobs are open and have a shortage of workers nationwide. What I think may be a good school, you may not like. Moving is taking a chance. Sounds like you want out. You just have to come here and see if it feels right. Then you have to decide - do I want to take this chance?
I live on the s.w.side of Charlotte. While I wouldn't recommend moving here for a single mom, I would give Fort Mill two thumbs up. It is a 15 min drive from the Steele Creek area and I love it over in Fort Mill. IT has a country feel to it, is safe, very low on crime, and most importantly it has very good schools. Sure Charlotte has some good schools but they also have some not so great schools so you have to be careful with that. Good luck on your search!

Old 04-12-2008, 10:25 AM

10 posts, read 9,530 times
Thanks nk & anifani... good looking out (smile) I definitely want to rent first! I need a 3-bed and most of the 3-beds in Concord, Fort Mill, & Mooresville were in between $700- 850, so I guess I have to go with that. I didn't imply that the health economy is lacking in Ohio, but overall the jobs here are decreasing. It's funny you mentioned CNA, because that is what I am and I can get a job here quickly, but I am currently in college taking up HCA. My reasons for moving is more than what I am saying, but I am aware that no city is perfect and it will take some adjusting. I know that Concord & Mooresville are north and Fort Mill is south, so I would prefer to work in the city that I choose to live in. Now I have to be honest, commuting would take some getting used to, because you can just about get anywhere in 10-15 min. where I'm from (lol) I am aware there is racism everywhere too (some of it is just hidden a little more) and that is definitely not one of my problems, Anifani. My son justs happens to be in an uncomfortable atmosphere right now and it is stressin me, because before we moved out (in the burbs) I never talked to my children about racism. I really didn't have a reason because my children are friendly like I am. My son has been experiencing prejudice because he is a 'smart' kid, good in sports, avid reader, and admired by his teacher? Now I know it may sound ludicrous, but it is what it is. You are not good enough in his school if you are black, mixed, or any other minority- oh, and if you are being raised in a single-parent home, and I'm tired of the nonsense. Some of our most successful people were bought up in a single-parent home, so I'm just trying to make a better life for my babies and to teach them that character counts.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 62,955,257 times
Interesting 2thepoint and riskybuisness have the same type of family, lifestyle, cities of interest and concerns.

The things that make you go hmmm

YouTube - Things That Make You Go Hmmm........

Old 04-12-2008, 10:44 AM

672 posts, read 1,745,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Interesting 2thepoint and riskybuisness have the same type of family, lifestyle, cities of interest and concerns.

The things that make you go hmmm

YouTube - Things That Make You Go Hmmm........
Ummm yeah I was reading them and everything was identical, made me a little skeptical to keep posting info??

Old 04-12-2008, 10:49 AM

10 posts, read 9,530 times
that's becuz riskybusinezz & 2thepoint are related!!!! Don't get it twisted ladies!!! We are right here 2gether using the same pc, laughin our a**es off, becuase I just said somebody is going 2 get it twisted if we don't log in with the right names... we share the love ladies!!!! Share the love too! (ROTFL) Hey SunnyKayak... so nice for you to join us!!! (riskybusinezz)

Old 04-12-2008, 10:56 AM

35,881 posts, read 73,252,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thepoint View Post
Thanks nk & anifani... good looking out (smile) I definitely want to rent first! I need a 3-bed and most of the 3-beds in Concord, Fort Mill, & Mooresville were in between $700- 850, so I guess I have to go with that. I didn't imply that the health economy is lacking in Ohio, but overall the jobs here are decreasing. It's funny you mentioned CNA, because that is what I am and I can get a job here quickly, but I am currently in college taking up HCA. My reasons for moving is more than what I am saying, but I am aware that no city is perfect and it will take some adjusting. I know that Concord & Mooresville are north and Fort Mill is south, so I would prefer to work in the city that I choose to live in. Now I have to be honest, commuting would take some getting used to, because you can just about get anywhere in 10-15 min. where I'm from (lol) I am aware there is racism everywhere too (some of it is just hidden a little more) and that is definitely not one of my problems, Anifani. My son justs happens to be in an uncomfortable atmosphere right now and it is stressin me, because before we moved out (in the burbs) I never talked to my children about racism. I really didn't have a reason because my children are friendly like I am. My son has been experiencing prejudice because he is a 'smart' kid, good in sports, avid reader, and admired by his teacher? Now I know it may sound ludicrous, but it is what it is. You are not good enough in his school if you are black, mixed, or any other minority- oh, and if you are being raised in a single-parent home, and I'm tired of the nonsense. Some of our most successful people were bought up in a single-parent home, so I'm just trying to make a better life for my babies and to teach them that character counts.
You need to come on down. Really. Sounds like you are in an area that is just too small and too narrow minded. You are gonna be fine and fit in w/ no problem. Since you are a CNA, you are gonna have a lot of choices where to work. Don't know how much experience you have w/ nursing homes or if you even want to go that route . . . but I know the jobs are there.

I am still mixed up about the situation w/ your son. Are you presently in a predominately white school and your son stands out b/c he competes favorably w/ the white kids and so the kids bully him b/c he is a good student and gets along w/the teachers? Cause if that is it, get out of there and head South. You son will be able to excel here and no one cares what color he is or isn't!!!! If he is a good student, he will be fine!

Here is the scoop: if you live in Cabarrus . . . you can commute easily to plenty of jobs in CLT . . . I would not suggest E CLT overall b/c the crime is higher there. Just being frank and you said that is what you wanted. I would personally not put my kids in that situation. There may be some neighborhoods where community support is good and you and your kids will be fine, but I just don't know enuff to suggest a place to rent around there.

I would check out job opps in Ft. Mill b/f I headed there. Now you can commute from Ft. Mill back to S. CLT and there definitely ARE CNA jobs there. So you might consider this strategy.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:18 AM

16 posts, read 11,292 times
Thank u anifani for your info and thank you for not getting offended by my cousin & I using the same threads....I don't want Sunny & nkjaws to withhold info just because we are logged in together. As you can see, my cousin and I want different things. She lives on the 'wild' side, but I'm a mother and I don't have time for that. I love my cousin with all my heart, but I don't want people in these forums to get us mixed up, because I am the more 'serious' one.. (she is crackin up) this is my pc, and I'm in charge of this thread.. so there... you know what? It's funny how you just summed it all up about my son??? Are u sure we aren't related? (lol) Yes, my son is in a predominately white school and I think there is a little intimidation going on with him and the kids @ his school. I just didn't want to go there, because some of these people in these forums get a little too offended for my taste, and I'm not as bold as 2thepoint (lol). One day when they had recess, they were all playing soccer. My son kept getting goalies, so a student got mad and said to my son, "this is a white man's sport." In other words, you are good, but leave this to the white people to play...can you believe that? You know I had to go up there and say a little prayer before I went.. It's only that school though.. my neices & nephews went to the same school district and my sister never had a problem with their schools? Color isn't really an issue here, but some of these suburban schools have that, "I'm better than you" mentality, and I don't play that. My son is not going to stop eing intelligent, no matter where we end up! My daughter, on the other hand is fine at her school. Just thought I'd share this, since there are still some of us in denial or just won't talk about racism, but it here, it's there..whatever... That is not what my major reasons are though.. (no one is going to run my family out of anyplace), it's just time to go.. and I don't want to live in East Charlotte- that was my silly cousin! I told you my areas, and please don't pay any attention to her- she's not coming anywhere with me! (lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte