Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 27,293 times

Advertisements

lovethecarolinas- thanks for the link!! I'm going there now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 10:42 AM

51 posts, read 142,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Yes, for a TON of money.

My suggestion would be the great established, much safer, area called Elizabeth. It is right by the hospitals and many of the homes are Arts and Craft style, just beautiful. If you are looking at a map it is basically the area between Randolph Rd and Monroe Rd from Laurel toward uptown. Buying in this area would be a very wise investment (just like NoDa, only safer).
Elizabeth is not 'up and coming'. It's already past that point.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Neighborhood+Dev/Quality+of+Life/home.htm (broken link)

Last edited by buddler52; 12-19-2006 at 10:58 AM..

Old 12-19-2006, 10:58 AM

The article that lovesMountains posted was extremely informative. Anyone interested in established/up and coming in town neighborhoods should definitely check it out. Thanks again!! Anyone else know of a secret/ not so secret area they want to promote? I promise I'll tell no one and we'll shut the door behind us

Old 12-19-2006, 11:08 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddler52 View Post
Elizabeth is not 'up and coming'. It's already past that point.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Neighborhood+Dev/Quality+of+Life/home.htm (broken link)
It is not "up and coming" like NoDa or parts of west Charlotte, but there is still plenty going on there. Many homes are just now turning over from their original owners to young families. These young familes and couples are "revitalizing" the neighborhood in my opinion. Many homes have been updated or remodeled in the last 10 years, but there are still plenty in their original states to choose from if someone wanted to buy and have a project.

And besides, I'd rather live there and take the 7 minute ride over to NoDa to visit the gallary crawls or restaurants

Old 12-19-2006, 01:12 PM

218 posts, read 253,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It is not "up and coming" like NoDa or parts of west Charlotte, but there is still plenty going on there. Many homes are just now turning over from their original owners to young families. These young familes and couples are "revitalizing" the neighborhood in my opinion. Many homes have been updated or remodeled in the last 10 years, but there are still plenty in their original states to choose from if someone wanted to buy and have a project.

And besides, I'd rather live there and take the 7 minute ride over to NoDa to visit the gallary crawls or restaurants
I agree, Elizabeth still has a lot of potential. Another place that will see a dramatic change over the next few years is the Wilmore area.

I think another area that will eventually do a 180 is NW Charlotte. That new whitewater rapids park is going to be a big draw, and when 485 is finally finished on that side... the entire logistics of that area will change, leading to new opportunity that isn't there now.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:22 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendynsteve View Post
Hello nice people of North Carolina!! My question is this: are their currently any areas of the greater Charlotte metro area that are under-going a revitalization?
I'm looking for an area that is up and coming, but not with newer homes. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'll thank you in advance!!

There is so many neighborhoods around uptown Charlotte.

Try- http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/in...?showforum=253. They break down every ward and neighborhood in Charlotte.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:20 AM

905 posts, read 3,453,375 times
There are so many neighborhoods in CLT that meet your criteria. The closer the city the better your return on the dollar. Also any neighborhood along the rail line will be hot for a long time. If you are true pioneers check out Optimist Park, Belmont, and Villa Heights. Also look at the neighborhoods surrounding the established neighborhoods of Elizabeth, Myers Park, and Plaza-Midwood. Good Luck

Old 12-22-2006, 07:48 AM

Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts!!!! Not only did you provide us with the information we needed, but also showed some wonderful community spirit. My wife is anxious to return to your friendly city and now I see at least one of the reasons why. All the best!!!!

Old 12-22-2006, 08:36 AM

25 posts, read 26,281 times
The Charlotte Observer just recently had a list of neighborhoods most likely to gentrify and be "up and coming" next. They were Washington Heights, Smallwood, Biddleville, Seversville, Wilmore, Cherry, Belmont, Villa Heights, and Lockwood.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:51 AM

28 posts, read 125,637 times
the WILMORE area (please see the link, below) is a VERY up and coming neighborhood. It abuts SouthEnd, Dilworth and Uptown. There is no reason to feel unsafe or uncomfortable there ... I shop there with my gf all the time ... AND it is poised for 5-10% price appreciation gains year over year between 2007-2011.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.054245&om=1

That's a link to a google map with the central hub of the Wilmore region. Notice its proximity to uptown -- it is exactly 1.4 miles from The Square, which is Trade and Tryon Streets in the center of Uptown. Meaning you can walk, or take the (free) GoldRush shuttle bus to a ton of bars, restaurants, jobs, musesums, etc., all from there.

That is why Wilmore is growing. My neighbor, a realtor, bought a foreclosed house there for $74,000 in early 2006. He moved in to renovate it in-person, as well as to make it his *primary residence*. He spent a year and about $30k on it (for a total of $104,000 invested) and just listed it on the market for $240,000 !!! It is more or less an 1,900 sf *bungalow*, with no garage but he put in a nice concrete slab driveway that holds three cars ... the neighborhood is very safe ... there is ample street parking ... the SouthEnd shopping district is an easy walk away! Check out more about SouthEnd at http://www.historicsouthend.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte