U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 03:46 AM

7 posts, read 26,250 times

Advertisements

Hello nice people of North Carolina!! My question is this: are their currently any areas of the greater Charlotte metro area that are under-going a revitalization?
I'm looking for an area that is up and coming, but not with newer homes. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'll thank you in advance!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 07:09 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,302,525 times
Depends on your safety comfort. There is a ton of activity inside the I-277 corridor that has investors buying up some low income housing and renovating them. Some neighborhoods are further along than others. What about established areas already?

Old 12-19-2006, 07:46 AM

Default Areas of Charlotte that are improving

Thanks CharlotteAgent!! No safety concerns here. It needs to be an area that people are willing to live. Flying in and out of Charlotte and reading quite a few of these threads, you'd think it was all new subdivisions. Established areas are fine, we are looking for a growing area- but not one with new homes. Thanks again!!

Old 12-19-2006, 09:05 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,717,229 times
A lot is going on in NoDa right now -- people buying older homes and fixing them up

Old 12-19-2006, 10:54 AM

45,246 posts, read 92,406,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
A lot is going on in NoDa right now -- people buying older homes and fixing them up
Yes, for a TON of money.

My suggestion would be the great established, much safer, area called Elizabeth. It is right by the hospitals and many of the homes are Arts and Craft style, just beautiful. If you are looking at a map it is basically the area between Randolph Rd and Monroe Rd from Laurel toward uptown. Buying in this area would be a very wise investment (just like NoDa, only safer).

Old 12-19-2006, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the reply. My wife went to UNC Charlotte and graduated in '95. She doesn't remember anyone referring to NoDa (of course she was probably too busy studying!) though I have seen it mentioned in various threads. What is the general vicinity and are there other areas that fit this description? We appreciate the help greatly!!

Old 12-19-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendynsteve View Post
Thanks for the reply. My wife went to UNC Charlotte and graduated in '95. She doesn't remember anyone referring to NoDa (of course she was probably too busy studying!) though I have seen it mentioned in various threads. What is the general vicinity and are there other areas that fit this description? We appreciate the help greatly!!
NO problem NoDa is short for "North Davidson". It is basically the area of N. Davidson between Matheson and Sugar Creek. This area is one in a highly transitional state, meaning there is still a lot of crime and poverty all around it. Investors are changing that, but I personally would still not feel safe living there. Elizabeth on the other hand is established and stable. Many young people are moving in and redoing the old homes there, but the ones that haven't been rennovated are by no means derelict or falling down either.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:01 AM

lovesMountains-thanks. My wife used to live in that neighborhood and raves about it. She use to jog in the area and felt safe. It sounds like it hasn't gone downhill.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
lovesMountains-thanks. My wife used to live in that neighborhood and raves about it. She use to jog in the area and felt safe. It sounds like it hasn't gone downhill.
Oh, not at all!! If I had the money, seriously, I would invest there is a heartbeat - its close in location and the amount of medical professionals that live in the neighborhood because of its proximity to the hospitals will always make it desirable. Plus, it has been being bought up SLOWLY by young couples, not as hot as NoDa, so the prices are not as inflated as I think NoDa's are.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:21 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,596,878 times
Quote:
Hello nice people of North Carolina!! My question is this: are their currently any areas of the greater Charlotte metro area that are under-going a revitalization?
I'm looking for an area that is up and coming, but not with newer homes. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'll thank you in advance!!

I posted this back in July as I had read a really good article in the Creative Loafing magazine (A Buyer's Market: by Tara Servatius). You might find it of interest. Good Luck to you!

http://charlotte.creativeloafing.com...id=oid%3A56608
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte